Spurs VS Hornets thoughts

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Booyakasha!, Apr 30, 2008.

1. GHoward

GHoward 2,500+ Posts

I was really surprised they called 3 offensive fouls on Paul. Those are the fouls the Spurs have been whining about all series, and they finally got the calls. I don't expect Paul will get called for the same thing in game 7.

2. TxArch

TxArch 250+ Posts

3. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

I guess I am Beau and I guess the other 2 posters afer you are too.

There are many fouls. There are also many rules violations like traveling and carrying. But the refs can use discretion to call these things consistently so the players can adapt to them. There were like 5 fouls against NO's in about a 90 second span that was during their run, well would have been run, at the start of the 3rd qtr. That completely changed the hornets game from them on and it kept them from catching up. I just want to see the refs call a series more consistently and to well, as I have been saying, let them play. If you like watching big guys like Duncan and Thomas flopping every time somebody touches them then you are getting soccer style basketball and it gets real old. I would rather see them allow a little more physical play...but even if they don't to call it consistently from game to game. This is one of the reasons we haven't seen close games often in this series.

4. MeaHorn

MeaHorn 500+ Posts

5. TxArch

TxArch 250+ Posts

6. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

7. rhorn27

rhorn27 250+ Posts

8. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

9. Lat22

Lat22 1,000+ Posts

10. warrior

warrior 2,500+ Posts

I think this year it is very important to have home court advantage. Spurs play well I think they lose by only around 10 in game 7, they don't Hornets will win by around 20 like they have in their other 3 home games. Seems almost impossible for someone to win on the road in round 2.

11. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

12. hudsonhorn

hudsonhorn 500+ Posts

Absolutely right, Beau Vine. Those pushes from Paul were right in front of the ref each time and he could hardly ignore them. Even Chris finally realized this although these two teams seem to ***** on every call which is nauseating.

13. DKR777

DKR777 250+ Posts

After what happened to the Spurs in Game 5, the refs owed them Game 6. That was the "sorry for Joey Crawford" game.

14. DKR777

DKR777 250+ Posts

15. Montag

Montag 250+ Posts

Horry can die in a fire for that cheap shot on West.

Crafty? Veteran move? Yes. ***** move? Yes. What a way to set a record for playoff games Horry, coming in and fouling like a pathetic worthless *****. If I was the Hornets, Manu or Duncan goes down HARD in the 1st quarter in game 7.

16. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

Jambalaya and a crawfish pie and fillet gumbo
    'Cause tonight I'm gonna see my ma cher a mi-o
    Pick guitar, fill fruit jar and be gay-o
    Son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the bayou

17. DKR777

DKR777 250+ Posts

18. TxArch

TxArch 250+ Posts

19. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

Jambalaya, crawfish pie and fillet gumbo tastum good!

20. Booyakasha!

Booyakasha! Guest

Dear Nawwwwlins,

All y'all gumbo are belong to us.

Thanks,

Spurs

21. Orange Salad Ranch

Orange Salad Ranch 250+ Posts

22. Too bad for the Hornets. In the end, that was about SA's championship pride and experience shining through.

Spurs/LA will be epic.

23. Swiffert

Swiffert 250+ Posts

24. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

25. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Didn't get to see the game until late. Spurs played very well and showed that they are the better team. Talked with coworkers today before the game that going in yes NO's had homecourt advantage but that SA's experience would give them a better shot at winning game 7. Sure enough they were poised early and played within their normal game.

SA has definitely showed some fight in this series and that is a real sign of a champion. I don't know if they will beat LA and if they do if they will be able to beat Boston but they did show something very impressive in this series. Very similar to what they showed against Detroit, in I believe game 5 of the finals a few years ago. I personally thought Detroit had that series if they win that game and Horry took it over and gave SA some toughness at that point and that toughness continues to carry over last year against Phoenix and in this series being down 0-2 and then 2-3 without home court advantage.

NO's is a very good young team and I think that is one of the themes in this year's postseason. Young talented teams like NO's and Clev who are still knocking on the door but just missing 1 or 2 pieces before they can step through. I really enjoy watching NO's style of basketball though I will say I am not a fan of their team or had I watched much of them in the regular season. I did like the officiating at the end of the series which let the teams go up and down the court more and play more physical inside. This put the game in the hands of the players and when guys like Manu stepped up and guys like Peja and Mo Pet didn't we were able to see who the best basketball team was and got to see a better brand of basketball than the NBA has been giving us so far in these playoffs. Hope they keep it up.

HP, hope that addresses your point some in regard to SA. They are definitely a great team right now and have been the last 3 years. I am not sure if you can give them the decade dynasty trophy....perhaps the best overall team of the last decade, though LA would have something to say about that with 3 championships of their own, another finals appearance, and a really good shot at making or winning the finals this year. Make a 3-5 run of greatness and you can call yourself a dynasty and that is how I would define it. They are close to that right now and if they won this year you could easily draw the line in the sand and say they had achieved that. HP I will excuse you for you lack of general niceness and respect for others.

LA vs. SA will be a great series. I know we have been saying this when SA played Phoenix so I hope it materializes. 3 seven games series so far and these playoffs are just starting to heat up. Much rather see LA vs. SA and then would have LA vs. NO. If LA or SA win the title this year I wanted to make sure they beat the other 1st on their journey there.

26. Aces_Full

Aces_Full 500+ Posts

Hakeem is better than Duncan. There was nothing by Timmy last night to prove otherwise. He just happens to be surrounded by outstanding players in Parker and Manu. Congrats on having a very good team.

27. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I agree that Hakeem is better, but first off that poor stallion already died last week, and second, Duncan just had his personal worst playoff series on offense that I've ever seen, so it's hardly his typical performance.

POST-SERIES THOUGHTS

- I don't know if I've ever seen a team get as outdunked as SA did and still win a playoff series. In the 5 games I watched, the dunk totals must have been 30 to 3 in favor of the Hornets.

- Why does Oberto get so much playing time? He's not as good a defender or rebounder as Kurt Thomas, and he's also possibly the most passive offensive player in the history of the game. He gives up open 10 foot shots to pass the ball to players who are tightly covered.

-Tyson Chandler really impressed me. His 1-on-1 defense on Tim was excellent. I remember a few years ago seeing him and he just looked like someone who was in the NBA just because of his height and outside of playing help defense and blocking the occasional shot from a driving guard, contributed almost nothing. He's gotten a lot better.

-Defense is still the way to win. The Spurs didn't play that well offensively in game 7 - Duncan and Parker and Ginobili all shot below 50% and Manu especially seemed to miss a lot of them. If you had told the Hornets before the game that the Spurs would end up with 91 (and even that was only due to 6 FTs that wouldn't have happened if the Hornets were a little bit closer), they'd probably have been pretty happy about their chances.

-How has Bruce Bowen never once been DPOY? He'll probably never win the award now since he's getting old and has already started to lose half a step. He still made Peja a nonfactor for most of the series though.

-David West needs to attack the rim more. The Spurs couldn't really stop him when he did this, but he settled for a lot of fadeaways, which he still made at a decent clip, but that's still inferior to the layups he got nearly every time he drove right at the hoop.