Spurs vs. Lakers

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by LovinTheAtx, May 20, 2008.

1. LovinTheAtx

LovinTheAtx 250+ Posts

Thoughts?

I’m beyond excited about this match up. It is only fitting that they have to go through each other to get to the championship. This way no one can dispute which team really deserves a shot at another title.

For me, I think Kobe will get his points regardless. The Spurs may be able to slow him down a bit, but I think this will end up being the Kobe show on the Lakers’ side. For me, my concern lies more with containing Gasol and to a lesser extent Odom.

I think with Oberto’s defense picking up and with the presence of Duncan, the Spurs should hopefully find a way to contain these guys.

Regardless, this should make for a great series and I can not wait until tomorrow’s game.

Go Spurs Go!

2. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Bad news for the Spurs: Los Angeles is even better than New Orleans.

Good news for the Spurs: The Hornets were a worse match-up for the Spurs than the Lakers are. No equivalent of Tyson Chandler to guard Duncan, and Bruce Bowen is more suited to guard a big wing player like Kobe than a shifty point like CP. Not that Bowen's defense on Peja wasn't critical, but I like having Bruce on a team's #1 perimeter threat instead of their #2 perimeter threat.

I'm a little worried about Odom because he's similar to West in that he's either too big or too quick for anyone the Spurs may guard him with. Thankfully, Odom isn't as aggressive on offense as West, although that might not be too much of a good thing, since the Lakers have excellent all-around ball movement and Odom being so unselfish is a big part of that.

3. warrior

warrior 2,500+ Posts

Should be a great 7 game series.

4. longhornfan2818

longhornfan2818 250+ Posts

I am much less worreid about this series than the hornets series. I think THe NO series was a very though mathup for the spurs. I think Duncan matches up better with Gasol Parker better with Fisher and so on. Kobe will get his points we just have to keep everybody else in check. Spurs in 6.

5. CHETOLONGHORN

CHETOLONGHORN 250+ Posts

Spurs in 6. The only concern i have is that there are no 3-4 day rest periods in the series. The games are scheduled to be played every two days.

6. MeaHorn

MeaHorn 500+ Posts

The Spurs do matchup better with the Lakers, but this is not going to be an easy series by any means. Luckily, the Spurs have been tested this year in the playoffs, while the Lakers really haven't yet. I expected Utah to put up a better fight, but you do have to give the Lakers credit for winning in the land of the Mormons.

I'm most interested in seeing if David Stern shows up at these games wearing a Lakers jersey with a Celtics hat, or a Celtics jersey with a Lakers hat. [​IMG]

7. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

You hit the nail on the head with that 1st comment. The team that wins this series will have beaten the best in the West and we as fans will really know who the better team is.

SA should be worn out after that last series and running up and down the court to back on defense. However I think the pressure is on LA to hold the 1st 2 games at home. If SA is able to get one of those games then LA will be pressing the rest of the series.

8. RO'Nealicus

RO'Nealicus 100+ Posts

I like the Spurs. I said in the beginning that the Hornets was the most difficult matchup for the Spurs. And that's why I like for the Spurs to advanece to the Finals

9. SA_Town_Horn

SA_Town_Horn 500+ Posts

I like the Lakers in 6. I think the Spurs' age will finally show in this series.

10. GHoward

GHoward 2,500+ Posts

I'm looking for Duncan to take over this series. He didn't assert himself due to the constant double teams, in the NO series. I don't think he will get doubled as much (or at all), in the LA series. I'll also look for Parker to abuse Fisher. Of course Kobe will abuse Bowen. I think if Spurs can keep Kobe as a scorer and not as a creator (the way Paul was) then they can take it.

11. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

Good vs evil

12. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

Luke Skywalker v. Darth Vader.

13. HornsForever'93

HornsForever'93 1,000+ Posts

U must worry about NBA ref conspiracies anytime you face the Lakers in the playoffs. All we are asking for is a fair shake and let the best team win.

14. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

I agree with you on the refs. I hope they get ones that are good and consistant and fair to both sides.

15. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

I'm sure the NBA had nothing to do with it but did hear about the plane trouble the Spurs had in NO. I hope this isn't a conspiracy. [​IMG]

16. If I had to pick I'd say Lakers in 7, but honestly I don't know who's going to win. It's gonna be a fantastic series.

17. GHoward

GHoward 2,500+ Posts

Something, I just noticed, the Spurs should be worried about. LA is really tall. They go 7', 6'10" 6'10" 6'6" 6'1". That front court is huge. If Bowen guards Kobe, that leaves Manu or Finley to guard Odom or Radmanovic.

18. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

Lakers in 6. Fisher makes the difference in this one.

Back to the good old days: Lakers vs Celtics in the Finals.

[​IMG]

19. MeaHorn

MeaHorn 500+ Posts

20. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

21. longhornfan2818

longhornfan2818 250+ Posts

I think the key for the spurs is getting gasol in early foul trouble. if you put him on the bench that takes a lot away from the lake show.

Go spurs!!!!! One for the thumb baby,

23. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

24. Sii

Sii 1,000+ Posts

Fisher has zero chance to guard Tony Parker

Gasol has problems with Duncan

SA has Bowen and Udoka (who is playing very well) to play defense on Kobe

Spurs in 6

25. Swiffert

Swiffert 250+ Posts

gasol will be a non factor. he and other euros (peja) fold like a wet napkin

26. WJC88

WJC88 < 25 Posts

Lakers in five with Spurs winning game one. LA has to be close with 4-5 minutes left and Kobe will close for them.

This is the moment Kobe has been waiting for since he entered the league. A chance to lead a team to a championship as the undisputed leader. I think he steps up.

That was difficult to write, cause I'm not a fan of (Kry)be.

27. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

28. buckhorn

buckhorn 1,000+ Posts

Gasol is skilled but particularly physical or imposing on D. The Spurs have enough big bodies to lean on him and make him work harder than usual. He will play in the paint, but he can be moved around.

Odom is a mystery. The guy can do everything but disappears for long spells. He could be the wild card in the series.

The Lakes have length but not alot of quickness on D. Too often they struggle with the task of keeping good PGs in front of themselves.

The Lakes will play better rotation/help out D than NO did. That was the worst help out D I have ever seen in a playoff series, especially by a team that won three games.

The Lakes will sometimes settle for long distance shots throughout a game. They are usually not effective when they do this.

This is, overall, a tough matchup for the Lakes since they don't have proven, effective bodies to clog the paint. If the Spurs continue to shoot well it will be a very tough road to traverse for LA. If the Spurs' shooting levels a bit then the series should be interesting.

Kobe has been waiting for this moment. Let's see if he knows how to negotiate such a series.

Go Lakes.

29. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

One thing that will hurt the Spurs some is Kobe on Manu. Kobe is a very good defensive player. Parker will go for 20+ and Tim will have to as well.

30. LHB_SOB

LHB_SOB 250+ Posts

San Antonio is tested and finally playing a combination of great defense and good three point shooting. Spurs in Six.

Buck Harvey has a good article on Spurs and Lakers, if anyone is interested.

The Link