spyware help

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by MAROON, May 3, 2004.

1. MAROON

MAROON 250+ Posts

My wife's laptop appears to have spyware or something else controlling the IE application. When you launch IE, instead of going to the Roadrunner home page, you're diverted to other websites, and inundated by pop-ups. I downloaded a spyware killer, and cleaned the computer, but am still getting new spyware whenever I launch IE. How the heck do I stop this from happnening ...short of never using IE again?

Using Windows NT Home version.

Thanks in advance

2. kevwun

kevwun 1,000+ Posts

You need to go through the add/remove programs list and delete things like precision time, save now, hotbar, IE plugin, ezula, my search bar, etc. If you're not sure, you can always run a google search on the item to see if it's a legit application. You also should download more than one spyware removal/blocking tool. A combination of spyware blaster, spybot search and destroy and adaware should do the trick. Run spybot and adaware a couple of times each also.

3. MAROON

MAROON 250+ Posts

Thanks, I have downloaded Spybot, I'll find the others.

Should Norton stop this from happening or is that out of its realm?

4. kevwun

kevwun 1,000+ Posts

Anti-virus programs won't stop spyware.

5. Mrmyke709

Mrmyke709 1,000+ Posts

Norton doesn't think it's a virus, but some of these are verrrry nasty. I just spent an hour cleaning one up that has Win2k.
    If you're comfortable going in the registry, odds are there are 3 or 4 values in there that will foil all your efforts to rid this stuff from your PC.
    After reboot, it reloads itself.
    Go to hkeylocalmachinesoftwareMicrosoftWindowscurrentversionrun, look for anything suspicious.
    If you don't feel comfortable in there, run Ad-Aware 6.0, it finds a lot of bad stuff in the registry.

6. ths71

ths71 100+ Posts

If it's one of the CoolWebSearch varients it can be a real *****. The CWS.Searchx(38) coupled with CWS.Realyellowpage(39) is nasty.

CoolWebSearch

7. orange turdfrog

orange turdfrog 25+ Posts

Here is a review of software used for spyware
    The Link