Stadium Capacity....

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by zuckercanyon, Sep 20, 2021.

1. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

So, we enclosed the stadium (true bowl), and now the attendance is low-mid 90s?
    Thought we'd maybe try to get back to 100k but maybe this is the way to charge more per ticket?

2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Zucker,

I thought the capacity was short of 100, but would be over 100 when the South endzone carnival is complete.

FWIW, it is NOT a true bow the way other stadiums are bowls - Michigan, et al

3. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Thanks, Sabre. If it’s not complete, is it known when? Or is that a future renovation?

4. TexEx96

TexEx96 < 25 Posts

Seating capacity and attendance are two different things. Attendance for the last two home games has been in the 90K range. Stadium capacity should be around 100K. I've been trying to find an exact and updated number, but have been unsuccessful. The goal of the SEZ construction was not to raise capacity, rather to keep it roughly the same as it was before while "enhancing" the gameday experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

The updated 2018 number from the addition of the SEZ "temporary-to-permanent" seating area was 100,119. They haven't changed that from any of the documents I've seen about the stadium, but my guess is that they just haven't submitted any occupancy change number to any media outlet.

Honestly, it's probably still around that much. We lost a ton of seats from Sections 1 and 32, and "tiering" it to make it higher off the ground is kind of misleading because it makes it appear larger when it probably holds about the same number of butts as the old SEZ seating.

6. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

Attendance has been 91K+/- for the first two games.
    Occupancy for Rice seemed higher than for Lousiana.
    The SEZ has not been full for either game so it has unsold seats or no show ticket holders.
    My guess is unsold seats.

7. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Those large orange backed seats are interesting. Makes me want to see them up close. Also anyone know what’s in the ice coolers at the end of those rows? It’s definitely a unique section.

8. TexEx96

TexEx96 < 25 Posts

From a video I saw, they are indeed ice chests that contain non-alcoholic beverages. You press a button like the flight attendant button on an airplane when you want a drink with some alcohol in it.

9. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Thanks, I tried to catch someone opening one and get something out using the binoculars but never timed it right I reckon. Doubt I could have identified anything anyway from that distance,,,, but the curious George in me tried.

10. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I read sometime back the Stadium with all the new improvements holds a little over 100K to 101K fans. Looking at the seating and new club seats or boxes in the south EZ, seems like there should be more than that amount. If the team starts winning and winning big against top programs, hopefully that number will increase.

11. steve0

steve0 25+ Posts

I checked on the availability of those seats (just for fun) before the last game and they showed " no availabity." So maybe people are either in the club or standing down at field level. But maybe somebody knows for syre.

12. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

13. Ajo Macho

Ajo Macho 500+ Posts

Selling SEZ seats paired with field access was a mistake. The seats are mostly empty because the majority of those who bought those tickets spend most of the game either at field level or in the adjacent indoor lounge/concession area. As a result, every time they show the SEZ on TV (during 50% of field goals and extra points), our stadium looks pathetically empty.

Next season, field access should only be given/sold to people who don't have seats visible from inside the stadium. Keep the stands filled.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

Or require the ticket holders to purchase and place a cutout photo of themselves in the seat when they head to the Club or wherever.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I going to echo your same viewpoint on this. Giving folks an option to sit in the stands and also sit in the club if it's too hot or bad weather was a mistake. Hopefully, next year CDC and company will change that . . . "buy tickets to sit in the stands" or "by tickets to sit in the club" but not both unless the buyer wants to pay full price for two tickets. The other option might be to make the EZ seats the permanent student section.

• Agree Agree x 1