Stadium questions?

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by Sows, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Sows

Sows < 25 Posts

It's been many moons ago but I went to a game at DKR-TMS. I was in high school at the time and I still think that stadium has some of the best views. Just curious but does UT plan to bowl in the stadium and would that obstruct views of the Austin skyline?

When I went the track was still there. It looks better on tv now and I'm assuming some ringside seats must have been added. I'm just curious how many rows are in the lower bowl at DKR?

I've been to a few fun places for games besides DKR....South Bend, Lincoln, Baton Rouge, Seattle. All good venues. Most of the places I've been have a large lower bowl presumably to get the majority of fans close to the action.

I was looking at TexAgs and I've been to CS for games as well. They have spent a lot of money on upperdeck seating. The lower bowl looks like it has about 20 rows. Interesting design, I guess they wanted to keep the added onto look.

Just for kicks I was curious about who has the most rows in the original bowl? Not easy to find this stuff even online.

Michigan has 97. (seems as though they'll always be able to be the biggest with that design) found this on a UM message board

Tennessee has 64. also saw this on vol message board

LSU has 65.

PSU has 110 and 100 on east and west respectively

Bama has 62

Nebraska has 99 in the endzones!

I couldn't find anything on Ohio St., FLorida, Clemson and other big stadiums etc.

Anyhow I was just looking and thought I'd share. It'd be cool to see OU play in Austin and see UT play in Norman. Two great venues etc. I wouldn't have it that way though, the old Cotton Bowl is too much fun.

2. TXLonghorndad

TXLonghorndad 100+ Posts

Here's an interactive guide to DKR. Click on a section in the stadium and go from there.

Last I read, Patterson wants to complete the south end of DKR but not to add capacity. Think he just wants to add suites. But that would mean the section would be concrete but not sure if it would include an upper deck. Probably won't happen for many years, but would be nice if it means moving students and the Band back to their old location on the East Student side of DKR.

http://www.seats3d.com/ncaa/university_texas_austin/football/#/level_2/

3. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

I think there is a Big XII bylaw or something along those lines that the bands cannot be behind the opponents bench anymore. I remember reading something a few years back.....

4. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Students have to be X number of rows up and not directly behind the opponents bench.......maybe I am wrong but I remember something like that......

5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

The original bowl had 78. Certain parts of the lower bowl still have 78. When the stadium addition was finished in 1971, there were 78 rows in the lower deck on the entire West side. Apparently, some of the big money people complained about legroom. I can't remember if it was 72 or 73, The University removed 13 rows in sections 4, 5, & 6 (maybe 3 & 7 as well). The latest revision added a row; hence, the middle sections of lower deck on the West side, now has 66 rows.

6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

As for the students behind the visitors bench, it is divided into three areas. Endzone thru section 27 is students. They seem to also occupy most of 28. Lower rows of 29 is for players families, recruits, and upper rows are students again. 30 has some former lettermen and adults. I just consider the entire east side students. They also occupy most of the east side upper deck.

7. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Varsity Circle has a section on east side. I was given the option to move over there, but elected to keep my seats on the west side and have a little shade when we have the earlier games.

I recall some talk in the past about making a complete bowl of the stadium, removing the Adzillatron, and actually having an upper deck. Seem to have died off the last few years. Get a solid winning program back and the demand for ticket up, the complete the bowl move might start up again.

8. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

My understanding of the planned expansion at OU is that their capacity will not be increased, but that the south end will have suites and other cash generating entities. Steve would have a massive hard on for a plan like that. IMO.

9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Someone did DKR in Minecraft (sadly has a commercial first)

• Like Like x 3
  10. marley

marley 500+ Posts

Sorry to name-drop, but Powers told me in February that the decision re facilities would be up to the new president (long before Fenves was the consolation prize new president).

Bill said that if it was up to him, he'd enclose the south end zone, demolish Montcrief-Newhaus, demolish the Rec Center, demolish the School of Social Work, and build the new Disch in the space south of the end zone. I notice that San Jacinto would need to be straightened out to do that.

He said that the new basketball facility would HAVE to be on campus, that basketball currently couldn't even get students to cross MLK and Red River to attend games.

Some have suggested that the new basketball facility could go in the space south of the track and field stadium, so who knows where it will be located.

Screw the thing about obstructing the Austin skyline. LBJ got lots of my buddies murdered in an idiotic and unjustified war. I could care less what that incompetent POS politician murderer wanted.

11. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

WOW. That is super impressive.

My boys were heavy into Minecraft for about two years, and my wife and I used to play it with them a lot, mostly just in Creative Mode so we could build things. It is so much fun. If you’re not familiar with building in Minecraft, it is done one block at a time, so I can’t imagine how many hours it took to create this DKR replica. Hundreds of hours, easily, to get that level of detail and accuracy. Absolutely amazing work on this thing.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

HOLY CRAP!!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Oregon getting an upgrade