Stafford likely out for the year

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by nwking, Feb 10, 2012.

1. nwking

nwking 250+ Posts

Shoulder injury. This was reported on 247 and I heard it The Zone this afternoon.

2. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I just heard it on radio, too. Out for year, shoulder surgery.
    There couldn't be worse news for the baseball season, losing the Friday starter before the first game.
    I suppose we have a good number of starting prospects, so we will have to see who becomes regular conference starters. Maybe we will still be pretty strong in that department, but it is bound to hurt somewhere down the line.

3. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

This is why you never begrudge a kid who takes the money and runs, he was a second round draft pick who now wont sniff that kind of money again. Truly truly sucks. [​IMG]

4. petscii

petscii 250+ Posts

5. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

This morning's AAS reported that Stafford failed the Yankee's physical due to a slight tear in the shoulder, and that's why they didn't come to terms. It appeared the injury had healed up properly because the pitcher was great in fall practice, and untouchable in a practice game against Texas State.
    Then the injury must had recurred in practice recently. This is a real bummer, dudes. The article mentioned he could take a red-shirt season and pitch one more year, but how likely is that? Maybe it would happen if Stafford needs a rehab year to prove everything is up to par again, just speculation.

6. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

Next time someone gripes about the number of pitchers we recruit vs. other positions, let this remind us why a stable of quality pitchers is a must.

7. UT Horn Fan

UT Horn Fan 500+ Posts

This year more than most, Texas will need pitchers with little to no experience starting to step up. Of the 68 starts last year, only 13 are on the roster today. That's 19%.
    Hoby Milner - 9
    Nathan Thornhill - 2
    Kirby Bellow - 1
    Austin Dicharry - 1

However, if any coaching staff can fill those voids, it's ours.

This team will also have to score runs this year. There's no Jungmann or Green to make up for lack of offense. Losing Walla hurts both offensively and defensively. Hitting .269 as a team like last year will not get them back to Omaha.

These things come in cycles. Last year a lot of the starting pitching returned - all but Workman. That's 48 of the 63 starts (76%).

That being said... I can't wait to see what the 2012 Longhorns will do. [​IMG]