Stalker real estate agents (LONG)

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by WhoseHouse, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

guapo, he's an apt locator that posts on craigslist. He'll call the apts and check on their specials, whatever and then post them. There are literally hundreds that do it, though I think I was the second person to do it when I was a locator. The veteran ***** agent behind me started posting on there after she saw it on my screen. Dirty business. [​IMG]

Anyways, he can't give the address because the customer could just go there w/o you and then you won't get paid. So, I can see it from that guy's side. What he was trying to get was a conversation with the original poster so that he can tell the apt that the original poster was coming so he gets credit when the original poster puts his name on the referral sheet.

It's a dirty business.

2. Bevo04

Bevo04 100+ Posts

Can you post a link to the original ad? I'm currently looking at properties on craigslist and I'd like to know which posts to avoid. Thaks.

3. El_Guapo

El_Guapo 500+ Posts

I never really understood what an "apartment locator" was supposed to do. When I was a renter, I just picked up one of those apartment guides down at HEB and got all the info I needed. That was pre-internet so I imagine there is much more informatin available today. Exactly what value does an apartment locator bring to the table? I guess maybe if I was relocating to another city, it might be helpful but again, with everything available on the internet it would seem even that would be stretching it.

4. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

I think the value is in if you don't want to call every complex and sort of realize that most apts were the same. You just wanted to cut to the chase and not look at 9 or ten different apts. And to be frank, if you have bad credit or a felon, you goto an apt. locator.

If you're the type that has to see every apt (and that's ok), then an apt. locator isn't for you.

Even though I was a locator, I personally wouldn't use one. I'm the type that likes to drive around the area, etc.

bevo4, it's useless. They're everywhere and they're all the same. It will be obvious which are the locators.

5. WhoseHouse

WhoseHouse 250+ Posts

Bevo04, if you see an ad for an apartment complex on CL and it's fancy and doesn't look like an individual just typed it out and posted a picture or two, it's a locator. I'd say almost all the apartments on there are posted by locators... unless it's a sublet or something like that. Like an above poster mentioned, the only reason I'd use one is if I was moving to a new city and knew nothing about the area and did not have time to go there and really check out all the different places. Just get an apartment guide and go from there... if you go directly to the complex you'll get whatever special the locator was going to offer anyway.