Stanford game

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by JoeDallas, Mar 21, 2017.

1. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

There is a very good post on thecardboard.org, a free Stanford message board, describing in detail the Texas-Stanford game in November. It's from their point of view, of course, but is an objective summary. It reminded me of the problems Stanford poses, and what we are going to have to deal with. (I never heard of thecardboard.org, but got the name when someone on The Boneyard asked if Stanford had a message board.)

• Like Like x 1
  2. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

Here's the link.

http://thecardboard.org/board/index.php?topic=16702.0

• Like Like x 2
  3. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

We got the re-match I wanted... Now let's see what happens. :hookem2:

• Like Like x 4
  4. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

I really wanted to play Stanford, too. Much more interesting game. It just depends on who shows up. If its the team that beat Baylor in Waco, we can't lose. If its the team that lost to Oklahoma, too bad. Stanford's guards should be easier to guard than NC State's, but it's a much more well rounded team. Vandeveer is a master at game preparation, and she knows our weaknesses. We'd better practice against sagging defenses. I think a lot depends on whether Atkins can keep herself on the floor. If she can stay out there for most of the game, she's overdue for a really good offensive performance. It doesn't have to be great, just good enough to take the pressure off McCarty. I'm optimistic. Stanford isn't an offensive typhoon. They rely on defense and out executing you. They're smart and they won't let us run on them. We'll have to score big in our half court offense. It'll be interesting to see how they handle Holmes. If I were them, I'd sag off her and dare her to shoot from outside, but I guess that's pretty much the conventional wisdom, and it's easier said than done. If she can beat their bigs down the floor a lot, that could hurt them.

• Like Like x 5
  5. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

It will be a interesting game
    1st Meeting Nov.14,2016 @ Stanford
    Stanford 71 Texas 59
    Stanford leading scorer B. McPhee 28 points and E.McCall 17
    The only really improved player on their team is Smith.
    Texas leading scorer Brooke 20 and Atkins 14
    The only improved player's for Texas Holmes,Higgs and Sutton.
    If we can cut down on the turnover's, we should win.
    Hookem'

• Like Like x 1
  6. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Like the old saying goes, be careful what you wish for. I wanted to play the team that Texas matched up better with which was KSU. I think the keys to this game will be whether or not Texas can show discipline on the defensive side of the court. If Texas plays the same undisciplined overly aggressive defense that they played the first time you will see the same back door cuts and drives from their guards and post players at the elbow area.

Whoever is going to guard McPhee has to do a better job than Ariel did the first time. You have to go over screens against her you can't go under them the way Ariel did the first game. Texas also can't switch on the perimeter as much as they did the first time because our smaller guards Brooke and Tasia would end up getting matched up on the bigger McPhee and she would post them up down low on the block. Joyner also has to play more disciplined against McCall. She can't be overly aggressive against her when McCall catches the ball at the high post area.

Offensively Texas has to try and post up Joyner and especially Kelsey to take advantage of their size even though posting up isn't Kelsey's strength and to also make McCall have to guard on defense. Just like with every game Joyner needs to put the ball on the floor and attack the rim and be aggressive on the offensive end and not settle for jump shots. And the guards on the team other than Brooke need to make perimeter jump shots.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  7. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I'd still rather play Stanford, just as I wanted to play NC State knowing they had a way more impressive resume than Auburn and were most definitely under-seeded IMO. I want our team to HAVE to play like they're capable of playing in order to win. If they do, I don't think Dallas is a long shot.. not at all. :hookem2:

• Like Like x 7
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  8. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

9. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

It's going to be about who has improved more, and here is what I know...

Stanford scored 71 pts on us. As the season has gone on, Stanford rarely played to a much higher score than that and often scored less.

Texas scored 59 pts. As the season has gone on, Texas only scored fewer once (UConn) and often scored much more.
    • Foman was a starter.
    • Holmes played 17 mins with 3 pts / 3 reb
    • Higgs had 7
    • Sutton had 0
    • Lang had no blocks
    • Atkins fouled out with 14
    • Brooke got her typical 20
    • We got 11 from our bench
    In our last game...
    • Holmes had 16pts and 9 reb
    • Higgs had 12
    • Sutton had 10
    • Lang had 6 blocks
    • Atkins fouled out with 8
    • Brooke had her typical 23
    • Our Bench gave us 29
    We're deeper. We're faster. We score more.

We've got this. We're Texas. :bevo:

• Like Like x 12
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  10. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Lets value every possession, limit the fouls and we win.
    We can beat anyone when we do those things.
    Texas Fight!!

• Like Like x 4
  11. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

We've GOT to take care of the ball!

• Like Like x 3
  12. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Coach Herman and a few football players showed up to wish the team well

• Like Like x 6
  13. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

This is our opportunity to seize... Not only to make it to the Final Four but also to show recruits we can get there by beating some of the most storied programs.

• Like Like x 2
  14. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

http://www.hookem.com/story/30-years-3-point-shot-benefited-texas-stanford-women/
    http://www.hookem.com/story/karen-aston-coach-icon-texas-meets-vanderveers-stanford/

15. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

yeah, this is the matchup that I wanted. Not just for the chance for some payback but to gauge just how much we have improved over the season.

I think we had more room for improvement with Brooke taking over as PG and five players that had not been part of the team last season. Of those five, we got one that became a starter (Joyner) and three that are solid backups (Audrey-Ann, Alecia and Jada). Khaléann is out with an injury. LaShann has expanded her role. Realistically, only Kelsey was in a familar role, abeit one that she last played in her soph year. Both Brooke and Ariel had to step up their leadership, something they deferred to last season's seniors.

I know Stanford has gotten better, also making a change in their starting lineup and simply getting better due to game experience gained all season.

I expect a close, tough game. I don't think Stanford can stop our running if we can grab defensive rebounds or create TOs. But Stanford also can play that game. The biggest question is how well the Horns can execute their half court game and if they can slow down if not stop Stanford's.

Fouls are going to be important. Horns have three players that have often gotten into foul trouble: Ariel, Brianna and Joyner. putting them out of the game early. Stanford does not appear to ordinarily have players that get in foul trouble. The Cardinal are usually playing eight players in their main rotation. Horns play nine. I wouldn't be surprised to see several players on both squads play 35 plus minutes.

Horns have Brooke as the only player to take more than a 100 3pters. Cardinals have three players with 100 plus 3pter attempts. Still, the focus for Stanford will be to stop Brooke while for Texas it will be to stop the last Samuelson at Stanford.

24 hours to tipoff. :hookem3:

• Like Like x 3
  16. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

17. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  18. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  19. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

20. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Omg I have an engagement I just cannot get out of so I can't watch the game nor follow along on my phone, twitter etc.
    I may have to excuse myself to the restroom a lot. I will be in agony...

• Like Like x 2
  21. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Quick. Get the flu. Break a leg. Anything to get out of that engagement.

• Like Like x 4
  22. "Anna hook em"

"Anna hook em" 250+ Posts

Tell them u have tummy issues and diahrea and u dont want to get them sick. Put phone on vibrate, um get out of it some how.

• Like Like x 2
  23. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  24. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

Ha. Exactly. Nov. 8th was the day I quit believing in polls and experts' predictions. Ever. Especially 538. Based on this one, we should win by 50 points.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

8:00 start time just switched over to 8:30 on ESPN, wtf is going on?

26. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

8:30 start time now. Where y'all at!! Let's GO HORNS!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  27. "Anna hook em"

Anna checking in Let's go Horns Texas Fight proud member of Longhorn Nation

28. JustWin

JustWin 250+ Posts

Well, they got you.
    Got you to be tuned in for the pregame half hour.
    First game started at 6, so our game had to start 30 minutes after the first game. :hookem:

29. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

No I couldn't tune in until 830 at all, it was listed as "upcoming game"

30. "Anna hook em"

We are looking good, just need to make our shots and box out