Star Freshman Suspended First Week

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by TNLonghorn, Aug 22, 2012.

1. TNLonghorn

TNLonghorn 500+ Posts

2. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

That ain't good.

3. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

I think it's fine and I am glad to see it. Discipline now will go a long way in his career. I'd rather have the guys fall in line, work toward achieving the team's goals, and be accountable for their actions both on and off the field. Being a football player at Texas is a privilege. If, for whatever reason, a kid doesn't want to follow the team's rules, then he's free to do whatever he wants and leave the team or suffer the consequences by not starting or playing in games.

That said, I hope he gets squared away and is back on the field soon!

4. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

He hasn't played a down yet and he's a star?

5. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

That's what I was thinking. There are no "star freshmen" right now.

Good for Mack. Lay down the law early. I'm hopeful it was a minor infraction.

6. agssuk

agssuk 1,000+ Posts

I'm guessing it was minor. Only one week. Give him to Benny!!!

7. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

He has a choice in front of him. He can believe that he is a star with a different set of rules which will mean he will transfer at the end of the season or he can man-up. His choice.

8. TNLonghorn

TNLonghorn 500+ Posts

I don't think he's a "star" either...I was just quoting the headline.
    Every Freshaman, including JG, has to prove themselves on the field to be considered a star. Hopefully Daje learned his lesson and can help contribute this season.

9. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

What are players thinking when they break the rules? I'm sure that Mack has explained ad nauseam what the rules are.

10. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Agree the kid has not yet performed in a game so he is not yet a "star". I am pleased Mack is letting this kid & the team know the Sheriff is in town and serious about the rules...

as for the game vs. WY, Horns will be just fine without him. HORNS WILL ROLL [​IMG]

11. dthree36

dthree36 500+ Posts

What rule was broken? The nature of the crime is whats most important to me. Sit out a week... that has to hurt.

12. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

He didn't make a midnite pizza run or head to sixth street. Granted this isn't the best way to start your career, but he allegedly missed a curfew or came in late for a meeting. I agree with the poster above...let Wylie give him some special attention, end of story.

13. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Top 3 WRs from last year are the same. I didn't hear that Daje was going to be a starter and I like to think I follow things closely, but then again I don't have the LHN. [​IMG]

1 game suspension is nothing. Doesn't sound too serious. Glad it isn't Gray.

14. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

we can recover from an 0-1 start. better to lose early, then late.

15. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

16. Owlhorn

Owlhorn 500+ Posts

17. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

The kid was a superstar in High School, and is certainly not a star at Texas yet. And may never be. That is up to him. I hope his high school kudos haven't contaminated his attitude, i.e., sense of entitlement.

Whatever, Mack wouldn't have done this unless he absolutely needed to suspend the kid. I too hope this kid gets the message and tows the line from here on.

18. 1leggedduck

1leggedduck 1,000+ Posts

This will be good for the team. They see that ******* up has consequences.

This should be good for Daje, but that's up to him.

The glass half full view is that maybe this disuades a kid from doing something real stupid.

19. basshorn99

basshorn99 < 25 Posts

Gecko, Starting 0-1 because Daje will be missing the 1st game? LOL

Didn't he have some issues at Hendrickson?

20. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

21. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts