Starlink Internet

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by Vol Horn 4 Life, May 24, 2021.

1. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

If you're not familiar, Elon Musk and Space X has launched over 1,000 internet satellites so far with more to go. His satellite internet is currently targeted for rural customers and is currently only available in areas in the northwest, Wisconsin and Michigan I think. The speeds are said to range from a minimum of 50mb/s to a max of 150 mb/s with no data limits and no "throttling" during peak times while the average speed according to graphs I've seen around 75-80mb/s. That's a game changer for those of us that live in the sticks.

Considering I live about 8 miles from one of his new Tesla plants being built I just preordered my service with an estimated availability at of the end of 2021. I assume speeds will be blazing where his plants are located so I assume I will benefit from being nearby.

Do any of you live in an area that this is available and if you have it what do you think?

Starlink

• Like Like x 1
  2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Saw this on the tweeter yesterday
    Customer in France getting 300/60 Mbps - that's excellent if true

Reddit Link

xz821g2ooh071_1024x1024.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. Vol Horn 4 Life

Wow! Hopefully service comes sooner than later. The fastest reliable speed I can get now is 10 Mbs and up to 20 on a good day. If I can get 50-75 I would be thrilled. Not sure what I do with 300.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Vol,

I am in a homeowner's package deal with Comcast & I get 90 download & 6-8 upload on wireless.

Both my children have ATT DirecTV and they get 300-400 download & 100 upload on wireless. Is either available in Taylor?

5. Vol Horn 4 Life

I live out in the country where there's practically nothing available. I have a direct line of sight wireless internet now. Its better than dialup, but leaves a lot to be desired.

6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

God did not have me in mind when he invented electronics, but DirecTV satellite won't work if you have a clear view of the Southwestern sky?

7. Vol Horn 4 Life

Not for internet.

8. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

I'm interested in whether Starlink works well for you so I hope you will report back on your results

9. Vol Horn 4 Life

Will do. It could be several months but once up and running I'll update.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts