Starting a Travel Blog

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by TXHookem, Jan 21, 2007.

1. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

I decided to start up a travel blog to share some of my knowledge on travel. I'm sure it has a long way to go and I'm going to try to update it regularly. Anyway, you can see it atThe Link - it's called Travel Fix because, as a travel addict, I often need my fix. Please post your comments.

2. EuroHorn

EuroHorn 2,500+ Posts

Nice website and I especially like the hotel suggestions/links.

I have over 2 million miles on American and travel for business almost every week. I have been to over 30 countries and enjoy getting on a plane whenever I can, especially to travel outside the US. So I really enjoy travel-related websites and info.

What might be a nice addition is a section on best places for nightlife in the cities you went or even places to catch a Longhorn game, especially outside the US (seems like everyone here is always looking for such a place)

3. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

Good suggestions... keep'em coming.

I probably won't post daily like I have the past 4 days but I'll try to do so regularly.

4. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree 100+ Posts

Nice blog. While I share your enthusiasm for travel, time (job & kids) and funds (living in DC is $$) make it more difficult than it used to be. That said, my wife and I still make the occasional overseas trip for pleasure (actually she goes a lot for work) and we intend to take more trips as our kids get older.

Anyway, we are particularly interested in a trip to Italy and I appreciate your insider's knowledge. Also, your blog looks like a good place to exchange travel ideas in general. For example, I have seen you write about travel tips before (eg personal security) and I agree with your methods. It might be nice on your blog to every now and then introduce a general travel topic like that, provide your thoughts, and then invite comments. Could be fun for lots of people.

3rd

5. MidTexHorn

MidTexHorn 100+ Posts

Thanks for the link, I've bookmarked it. I'm also a travel addict, although I'm not nearly as well traveled as you. I've only recently achieved the income necessary to travel much, plus I've been trying to raise two kids which can be quite pricey. I also want to travel to Italy soon, in particular Sicily since that is where my grandfather was born. Have you been to Sicily? If so, I might try to hit you up for some recommendations.

6. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

I like the idea about posting questions and asking for reader feedback. Good suggestion. ...and yes, I'll definitely include plenty of tips on Italy. I think I'm going to write something on being wary when picking a hotel in Rome.

I like the Longhorn idea - where to watch games. I'll have to do some research or compile posts from here and then use them as one entry. Good thinking. As for nightlife... it's not that I'm a complete lame-*** but I just may not really know where to point people. I'm not as young as I used to be so my nightlife might be more along the lines of hitting a bar while in town but not really partying it up. Anyway, I'll put some thought into it. I may have more success with that topic in Buenos Aires than I might in Rome.

7. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

I finally have a bit of content on the blog - 20+ entries to date.

How does it look? The Link

8. YChang

YChang 500+ Posts

nice job...I wouldn't mind a section about stuff you've discovered around Houston or Texas either.

9. Mack Tripper

Mack Tripper 500+ Posts

Nice work. Really well done.

10. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

Thanks, guys. Agreed about getting more in there about Houston and Texas. Maybe I'll review tonight's restaurant, Backstreet Cafe. It's another one of those "not a secret" places but definitely worth checking out, especially if someone is coming to town.

11. 1990txgirl

1990txgirl 250+ Posts

Great! Look forward to reading it when I have some time. Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences and recommendations.

Holy crap... I just skimmed your post about the shoe place in BA. My husband hates you... [​IMG]

12. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

Yeah - my wife loved that place. Argentina is just downright dangerous for shopping - you can go insane buying stuff.