STATE OF THE UNION

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by mary21, Jan 29, 2008.

1. mary21

mary21 100+ Posts

This is what I heard tonight:

BLAH BLAH BLAH..........AND THEN BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Interesting.

2. Nivek

Nivek 500+ Posts

Missed the clapping?

3. Texas_Curl

Texas_Curl 100+ Posts

4. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

I assume b the lack of commentary most folks didn't bother to listen to it.

What to me was sad about the speech was had Bush had a genuine desire to do what he was talking about for nearly the first 15 minutes in the first year of his Presidency his legacy would have possibly been a noble one. Oh well...

REALLY funny to hear him railing against earmarks after 6-1/2 years of singing more pork into law than any president in history. If Bush wasn't such a disingenuous (or far over his head) soul he could have really been a great President.

5. RyanUTAustin

RyanUTAustin 1,000+ Posts

6. dognduckhorn

dognduckhorn 500+ Posts

Watched it. Sort of like watching a sibling give a eulogy at a funeral.

Best analysis I've read all day was from the writers of the Daily Show on the New York Times editorial page: campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/29/state-of-the-union-a-shocking-omission/?hp

Best snippets from their ten minute by ten minute analysis:

"On Monday afternoon, whitehouse.gov, our one-stop shopping site for neutral-colored residences, posted this important update on the proceedings:
    “President Bush will deliver his State of the Union address on January 28, 2008. Whatever the form, content, delivery method or broadcast medium, the President’s annual address is a backdrop for national unity.”
    Our guesses — and please bear in mind that we are neither pundits nor smart people — were:
    Form: Macaroni collage
    Content: In-depth analysis of monumentally important human-animal hybrid controversy
    Delivery Method: Ice Cream Truck
    Broadcast Medium: Tin cans, string"

9:06: The President arrives, fashionably late, and fashionably attired in a blue tie the exact shade of America’s current malaise. After much hand-shaking, he takes his place at the rostrum, in front of Dick Cheney, a human-zombie hybrid, and Nancy Pelosi, a human-woman hybrid.
    9:12: Tax relief. No mention of how human-animal hybrids could affect it.

9:22: Human-alcohol hybrid Ted Kennedy checks his program, trying to figure out who the guy in the blue tie behind the podium is, and if there’s an intermission.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. MaduroUTMB

MaduroUTMB 2,500+ Posts

I don't listen to them; Bush grates on my ears just as hard as Hillary does now.

8. stabone

stabone 500+ Posts

The speech was lame. The Democratic response was ******* awful. The whole damn city is just packing it in.

9. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

10. shotgun427

shotgun427 250+ Posts

The State of the Union is about the lamest thing that I can think of. The lamest part is the standing ovations.

11. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn 1,000+ Posts

When I'm president I'm mailing congress a letter on the state of the union and sendign out a mass spam email (with some help from the people that handle communication for Nigerian mid level beurocrats) to the american public

12. dognduckhorn

dognduckhorn 500+ Posts