Step away from the ledge for a moment

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by aUTfan, Sep 7, 2015.

1. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

If we played Ohio St in the first game what would you expect the result to be? Its the first game, we have no idea how good Notre Dame really is, lots of folks have picked them in the final four. If Notre Dame is a top four team and ends up in the national championship then the score is probably about where it should be cause we are far from being able to compete with a team of that caliber.

Food for thought, here is Nick Saban's first 5 years as a head coach of Div 1: and his first year at Alabama he was 7-6

YEAR SCHOOL RECORD CONFERENCE VS. TOP 25 TEAMS
    1995 Michigan State 6-5-1 4-3-1 (Big 10) 1-2
    1996 Michigan State 6-6 5-3 (Big 10) 0-3
    1997 Michigan State 7-5 4-4 (Big 10) 2-4
    1998 Michigan State 6-6 4-4 (Big 10) 2-3
    1999 Michigan State 9-2 6-2 (Big 10) 4-2
    2000 LSU 8-4 5-3 (SEC) 3-2
    2001 LSU 10-3 5-3 (SEC) 4-2
    2002 LSU 8-5 5-3 (SEC) 1-3
    2003 LSU 13-1 7-1 (SEC) 5-0
    TOTALS (10 years) 82-39-1 52-27 22-21
    LSU record (4 years) 39-13 22-10 13-7
    Michigan St. record (5 years) 34-24-1 23-16-1 9-11

I'm not saying Charlie is the guy or that he will end up as good as Nick but i am saying even saint nick couldn't get it done in his first few years, let this season play out, they have no talent in the upper classmen and he still needs another recruiting class to compete. just try to keep your sky is falling stuff on hold until the season has been played a little deeper.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Good post and a bit of needed perspective.

3. Horngal12

Horngal12 100+ Posts

It isn't who we lost to or that we lost bad that has most of us angry. I expected Notre Dame to be good and had a feeling we would get our butt handed to us on the road to a better team. It is the total ineptitude and the obvious backward direction of the team even from last year (which was backward from the year before) that has us frustrated. Can't blame it on talent or recruiting either. Total lack of coaching and those kids didn't have a clue.

• Like Like x 3
  4. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Roger that.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

^^ Agree with horngal. We lost 38 to 3 because we are legitimately 5 TDs worse than ND.
    If we played that game 10 more times, we'd probably lose by 35 points or worse on average.

ND may wind up being a good team this year. But we don't even belong in the same breath,
    So yes, we will probably beat Rice this weekend. We may not win many more games after that.

We didn't get our *** kicked because we shot ourselves in the foot with mistakes or turnovers, or got untimely penalties.
    We got our *** kicked because we have the 121st ranked offense out of 121 teams; paired with a not very good defense.

We just don't have any easy fixes to make. Even if our coaches call the perfect game, I don't think we'd know it if the players can't execute. I am not even sure we have the coaching staff in place to fix the basics anymore. They were pleased enough with this bunch during the off-season.

6. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Our offense was terrible.

But ND did not have to really work to score. They pulled their hosses with 10min left in the game. Could have scored two more td's (and I believe they would have as we could not stop them) and run it up. Kelly showed mercy. Mainly the D backs were no where close to receivers; they were running alone in the secondary which I really don't get. Sure, we can lose one every now and then, but this was happening time after time.

Charlie owned the loss, and said that the coordinators would be held accountable. I hope he means it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Watson has no business coaching D1. Bridgewater made him. He never did squat before and has not done squat for us.

Meanwhile, Brewer just runs a perfect 3rd and goal to take the lead on tOSU. Lake Travis boy. Dad was a nice QB at Texas. But hell, we can't take kids like this.... We're too ******* smart to do something like that.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

Meanwhile, Charlie pockets a cool $5 mill for what appears to be very little, if any, coaching.

9. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo 250+ Posts

Meanwhile Barnett, also from Texas, is warming up for Ohio State. ...I quess that is on Mac

10. Austin's Dad

Austin's Dad < 25 Posts

So did Brown not offer to Brewer either? Really, what was the love affair with Swoopes?

11. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Michael was one of many players kids that Brown never offered, at least two of whom went to OU. The Brewer family is all class and integrity. I hate VT, but am pulling for them because of Michael. I really admire the stance he took with the crap going on in Lubbock, which had nothing to do with playing time.

12. Austin's Dad

Austin's Dad < 25 Posts

That Tech deal must have been something. Baker Mayfield ends up at OU, Brewer at VT and isn't Webb number 2 now?

13. Austin's Dad

Austin's Dad < 25 Posts

Also, why in world is Lou Holtz's grandson on the sideline? The kid wasn't a starter in high school. Did Brown actually give him a scholarship or is he still a walk-on?

14. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I'll just say that Baker had a legitimate reason to transfer, and Tech's talking about blocking it was the biggest *** show ever on the High Plains, including the Leach private investigator and ever letting Craig James kid on campus.

Michael was more a case of ethics and integrity.

15. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

i agree with your post about the coach being responsible for the team looking no better than they did at the end of last season, i do think some of our ineptitude was due to notre dame tho, not all of it, not even most of it but some.

16. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

our offense is also inept cause we don't have a qb, swoopes isn't a d1 qb and i said that last year, i didn't think it was possible he would ever still be the starter, i thought Heard would beat him out easily. i don't get it, i don't know how heard couldn't beat him out, it says a whole lot about Mack's lack of qb evaluating, out of the 16 years at the helm he only found two jewels, Young and McCoy and the rest were just average and he let so many top qb's leave....i could name them but it really pisses me off that mack didn't even offer.

17. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

I can remember at least 4 times where Swoopes got out of the first pass rush, broke containment, and never, not once looked up field to find a receiver. That's where big plays are made. You have no one in front of you to block your vision. Instead he runs for a few yds before the LB can catch up to him. He can not be our QB. He just can't.

• Like Like x 3
  18. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Hold on... OSU is blowing out VT. maybe VT should fire all their coaches too.

19. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Beamer is on the hot seat in Bleeksburg. He took convicts and subhumans to build his program. Then, when he found out he couldn't get an interview much less an offer, he started trying to clean up that program. His talent level is down, and it shows.

20. marley

marley 500+ Posts

I do admire the ethics of Charlie Strong; he is a fine man.

But he was a head coach at a Tier II program with only four years of head coaching experience.

He should never have been hired; there were far many more qualified coaches who would have come to Texas.

But Bill Powers wanted to leave a legacy.

And all Texas fans are suffering as a result of an incredibly biased hiring decision.

Now, as a result, we may have to suffer through a multi-decades unbelievably selfish hiring decision by Powers.

Never hire based on your political orientation/persuasion. Only hire the best that you can afford.

Oh, and Strong said he is going to let Vance Bedford handle more of the defensive calls while he focuses more on what happens offensively. Uh, Charlie, you knew that your challenges were on offense. Aren't you bright enough to focus on that side of the ball -- the one that needed the most help? Or did you just choose to focus on the side that you are most comfortable with? More evidence of a Tier II coach that should have never been hired.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  21. CedarParkFan

CedarParkFan 1,000+ Posts

True

• Like Like x 1
  22. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Virginia Tech looked much better than we did, and it really wasn't close.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Virginia Tech scored not 1, but 2 touchdowns taking the lead before halftime. Then their starting QB got hurt, after which they scored a 3rd touchdown. They also had twice as many yards as us. Virginia Tech lost by less than 20 points. We never made it into the redzone once in the Notre Dame game. Teams do not have to completely roll over like we did from the start of the Notre Dame game.... even if they have less talent than the potential playoff team they are playing.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015