Stephen McGee

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Les Claypool, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Les Claypool

Les Claypool 25+ Posts

I was listening to the Ticket the other day and they got to talking about aggy next year and Stephen McGee. The took a few callers who basically said the same thing and then the hosts seemed to agree. The gist was: Thanks for the last few years, but you are not as good a QB as Jerrod Johnson and its time to move on.

I have been impressed with JJ in the limited pt I've witnessed, but wtf? McGee is their unquestioned leader. He operates a pretty effective offense, eventhough they can't really complete forward passes (except the UT game unfortunately). I would like to believe that the guy could pass if the offense prepared to throw and they had some decent receivers. And eventhough Fran and Koenig squandered some decent talent offensively, I would have to believe if JJ was close to McGee he would get some more PT.

Gribble suggested that McGee is going to graduate early and should therefore transfer, b/c he could play immediately for some other team. Bob Sturm quipped that if football was about who can collide with a linebacker the hardest and still get up then McGee should be the guy, otherwise he should move aside. IMO, McGee is as good as any QB they've had for 10+ years. Is this just a typical case of aggy feeling entitled to more than they deserve? The lack of support and gratitude was pretty shocking to me.

The thought of it makes me dislike aggy even more. They don't support their best player, a class act. Yet they tout the supremely talented, produce nothing, loud mouth Bennett and the big baby running back.

What do yall think?

2. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I think he should pull a Quincy Carter and go pro.

3. crimsonlonghorn

crimsonlonghorn 100+ Posts

If True Grit struggles at all next year to start the season, Agricultural will be chanting JJ's name and Reggie will be making room for him under the maroon bus. Mark it down.

4. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

Par for the course. McNeal was the best QB they had in forever and they couldn't wait to pack his bags once McGee showed up.

5. Orange Salad Ranch

Orange Salad Ranch 250+ Posts

Aggie backup players are always better than their starters, according to them. Their future is always brighter and they will always be great, next year.

The will spew complete ******** and circle jerk around Jarrod Johnson for a year or two and then they'll move on to the next poor schmuck who will continue to lead them through mediocrity.

The Gomers can over inflate and worship their own crappy players and coaches like no other, but they have a long reputation of just as quickly turning and stabbing them in the back just as soon the little rednecks decide they want to move on the next victim.

6. kangsta

kangsta 500+ Posts

7. Burnt Orange Bevo

Burnt Orange Bevo 1,000+ Posts

8. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

Go to Texags and you'll see he is already tied down beneath the bus.

What makes the Aggies different is that they have to believe their leaders are the most virtuous people in the world. God-chosen to lead the righteous and best to the promised land. It's not a simple matter to believe one player is just better than another, the superior player must be imagined to be more ideal.

It is my prediction that McGee will be de-beatified because of his attachment to Fran. His leadership will be questioned because of his loyalty to his coach and the cost of his loyalty to team cohesion. McGee will become a shadowed character and we will hear of the fire and leadership abilities of JJ. He will be the new McNeal/Brannnnndon/McGee until he becomes the focus of blame for not meeting A&M's delusional vision of what they are to college football.

Then JJ will be de-beatified to make way for the new saint who shows the rough, tough, real stough that makes the Aggies' closeted gay hearts go pitter-pat.

My other prediction: Sherman will re-invent red-shirting and weight lifting as new concepts to promote winning. He'll be just what the team needs!!!!!!!!

I have no idea if Sherman will succeed or not, but he is a pretty boring choice.

Caneck, caneck.

9. Orangesweat

Orangesweat 2,500+ Posts

I think he should pull a Quincy Carter and do drugs.

10. Brubricker

Brubricker 250+ Posts

Put Bucky Richardson under center with the 1939 ags and you'd get the greatest team since the '27 Yankees.

11. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Aggies will always throw every QB they ever have under the bus until Bucky Richardson regains his eligibility.

Some Aggies will admit it (damn two-percenters), but most refuse to admit that all of A&M's late-80s and early-90s glory was the result of cheating. Since they can't reclaim any of said glory, it's far more convenient to ***** about the shortcomings of pretty much every QB they've had since that time period.

Pullig? Too slow, weak arm.
    Stewart? Tries too hard, can't take a hit.
    McCown? See Pullig.
    Farris? Makes bonehead plays.
    Long? Doesn't "want it" enough (their dislike of Long baffled me the most... I think he went on to set I-AA passing records or something)
    McNeal? The list goes on forever.

I know Horn fans aren't exactly the most forgiving fans at calling out individuals, either. But the QB position at A&M is far more cursed than our situation, even with the Simms/Applewhite stuff.

12. homer

homer 500+ Posts

13. halsteadfrost

halsteadfrost 1,000+ Posts

Unless they changed it a player who graduates can transfer without sitting out a year. I know a couple of Urban Meyer's players did it when he moved to Florida and people complained, so they might have changed it back, I don't know.

14. JonathanMardukas

JonathanMardukas 100+ Posts

I hope they do change QBs, because we still haven't figured out how to stop McGee. He could've easily been 3-0 against us, but luckily is only 2-1. Bring on Jerrod Johnson, because we can't do any worse against him. Hopefully he's a turnover machine.

15. numbereleven

numbereleven 250+ Posts

1. Aggy, deep down, only truly cares about beating us.
    2. McGee beats us.
    3. They want a new QB.

Dammit, I just broke the logic part of my brain.

16. Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway 100+ Posts

I think McGee will actually turn out to be a decent QB next year under Sherman. If not, he should move to LB.

17. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

18. JJxvi

JJxvi 100+ Posts

Dustin Long was never disliked, he was just on the bad end of a quarterback change after a performance that nobody could ignore.

19. everybodygodeep

everybodygodeep 500+ Posts

JJ was 2 of 7 this last year and has done exactly nothing. Yeah, he seems to be better than McGee.

Aggy and their worship of backup quarterbacks is hilarious. At least our obsession with putting in the back up linebackers was based on their performance in a number of games in which they outperformed the starters.

20. Eastwood22

Eastwood22 250+ Posts

21. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

22. HousHorn09

HousHorn09 2,500+ Posts

23. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

I can already hear the "Sherman needs his players in" refrain and, therefore, McGee (and an assortment of other players) gets thrown under the bus. The same thing happened with Frantastic! came in. Reggie and a slew of other players were "RC's recruits" and needed to be euthanized. Pretty scary how the best fans in college football will find any reason to throw their own players under the bus. [​IMG]

24. blueag09

blueag09 250+ Posts

25. Les Claypool

Les Claypool 25+ Posts

26. homer

homer 500+ Posts

27. everybodygodeep

everybodygodeep 500+ Posts