Steve Edmonds

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by FridayNiteLites, Feb 23, 2012.

1. FridayNiteLites

FridayNiteLites 500+ Posts

weighs 260lbs according to Randy Riggs. Is he going to spin down to a DE position?

2. omnipresent

omnipresent 1,000+ Posts

He looked near that last season...and he still has wheels. Bad motha trukah [​IMG]

3. UT1986

UT1986 500+ Posts

I hope not either. Most of those LBs for Bama were weighing in at a minimum of 240 lbs. Upshaw played at 265 last year. About the same height as Edmond too.

4. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

He's very talented but too heavy IMHO to be a LB. I noticed last year that he easily became winded. Rather than move him the DE, I'd like to see Edmond slim down 15-20 pounds.

5. omnipresent

omnipresent 1,000+ Posts

6. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

He is perfect size and shape for LB position. Especially if he wants to play that position in the NFL.

And I am not too worried about our guys being out of shape or winded with our new S&C coach overseeing their workouts. My guess is he has added strength and power and will be plugging up that middle.

7. geezerhorn

geezerhorn 1,000+ Posts

8. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I love Steve's instinct for the ball and his desire to bring the wood on every play. that being said, he will be able to execute quicker and faster, and play with greater endurance if he keeps his weight at 245 or a little below that.

He is not going to be helped at LB carrying 260 pounds.

9. bazbo

bazbo 500+ Posts

Think Levon Kirkland

10. bazbo

bazbo 500+ Posts

2 more comments

1) It's Steve Edmond - drop the S

2) Isn't Santos just as big? Is anyone thinking about DE or even DT ?

If a former HS TB can grow into a lightening quick DT then so can a guy like Santos. I have no information - I am purely speculating.

11. UT1986

UT1986 500+ Posts

Once again look at the LBs that played for Bama the last 2 or 3 years, nearly all over 240. They didn't seem to be slowed by their weight and played havoc with opposing teams offenses. Not sure why folks get hung up on a player's weight if he has a nose for the ball and can play the position.

12. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Bama's backers play against offenses much different from the B12. Run first offenses for the most part. Look at the vanilla offense LSU ran at Bama in the big game this year.

I hope Steve has a great year. And expect him to. Just my opininion that he if he keeps his weight no higher than 245 his year will be better.

LB's in the Big12 have to cover a lot of ground, be ready to cover the whole field on any play. So the comparisons to Bama's backers don't mean a whole lot to me.

13. Owlhorn

Owlhorn 500+ Posts

If we are successful and start physically beating the crap out of teams next season, you will see more teams switch to power running. Just how it goes. I see guys like Edmond and think we are ahead of the curve and are preparing to be good nationally, not just in the conference.

If you read the practice reports anyways, Edmond has broken up a couple of seam passes and is said to be noticeably more fit. I am one of the few with LHN, and yes he looks much lighter. Has lost the belly and arms are skinnier. The same was said about Malcolm Brown, who many expressed concern over putting on bad weight. Now he's turning into a beast. Also if you read the reports, Hicks is playing the middle in nickle situations.

14. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

15. Maduka

Maduka 250+ Posts

His weight doesn't bother me at all. Just watched a clip of Vaccaro talking about Edmond, says he has great hands too. This has me pumped up for 2012, because with Hicks, Edmond, and Cobb, we do have the LB's to roam the field and stop the run. Our DB's will more than hold up their end. So really the only thing of concern is the DT's. I think Texas D this year is going to be scary good.

Offense is a different story, from what I've read, David Ash is throwing with more touch, and is more comfortable in the offense. RB's will be a special group to watch, simply because you have some much depth there, it will fuel competition. If Davis and Shipley do well at WR, I think our offense will be adequate.

16. omnipresent

omnipresent 1,000+ Posts

multiple reports from Saturday's open practice witness him running down Jaxon Shipley from behind [​IMG]

17. bishophorn

bishophorn 500+ Posts

He is ungodly fast for his size, sideline to sideline type. He will be staying at MLB with his coverage speed and power to crush anything in the middle.

18. bazbo

bazbo 500+ Posts

It's been a long drought since a dominant MIKE has earned the right to wear no. 60. While we've had some truely good ones, Britt Hager may have been the last to dominate the position.
    Here is hoping that Steve is the next guy to dominate.

19. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

In reply to:

20. HornTYS

HornTYS 100+ Posts

That might be the best quote ever.

[​IMG]

21. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

It could only be better if "Edmond was coming out of helicopters and secret holes in the ground" [​IMG]

22. 1leggedduck

1leggedduck 1,000+ Posts

Manny has serious man love for young Mr. Edmond. I don't how far this team can go, but I am fairly certain that the defense is going to F stuff up everywhere they go. Instead of being surprised how well the lesser OOC offenses do against us early in the season, I believe we will see brutal domination; lots of fumbles, pics, defensive scoring, women and children being driven before Manny....

23. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

I just had a dream in which Steve Edmond annihilates Landy Jones on a delayed blitz.

Game. Set. Match. Longhorns.

24. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

In reply to:

25. UT1986

UT1986 500+ Posts

Don't look now but Mack Brown just said on LHN tonight that Steve Edmond is down to 251 lbs and said he runs like a gazelle and can cover both the pass and the run effectively. So, see all you guys worried about him being too heavy can rest assured that he will stay at MLB and not spin to DE. [​IMG]

26. HI_McDunnough

HI_McDunnough 500+ Posts

Steve is a middle linebacker. Before long we will be calling him RAY RAY.