Steve Worster - A celebration of Steve's life in a different format

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Billy Dale, Aug 16, 2022.

1. Billy Dale

Billy Dale The History of Longhorn Sports through 2014

The following is a personal story about the impact that Worster had on Junior high school and High school kids in the late 1960s. Professor Carlson was one of them, and his story is told through the eyes of a young boy.

Larry says :

Worster, it should be remembered, is sometimes acknowledged as college football's first "national recruit."

“Worster was the biggest star on a team with a Milky Way full of them. I had a poster of him on my burnt orange bedroom wall. And I really wanted another cool one that Dave Campbell's Texas Football was offering for sale, the one that featured a sideline close-up of the rugged fullback's face, marked by dried blood across the bridge of his nose.” Click on link for Larry's full story:

The History of Longhorn Sports

While there is a plethora of media outlets sharing Steve's story, all are mechanical in nature. Perhaps a feeble attempt on my part but I have tried to capture the Steve Worster that I knew in the link to follow.

It is a sad day when any teammate passes away, but a collective void occurs in the hearts of many when the symbolic name of a whole recruiting class called the “Worster Bunch” passes away. I have nothing but fond memories of being Steve's pre-game roommate.
    Every Saturday morning before breakfast, we started our day preparing for the game by watching the cartoon “George of the Jungle.” It is what boys turning to men still liked to do. Billy Dale

Please note that both links are free and you don't have to join the TLSN newsletter. Just click through to read about Steve through the eyes of a boy and a teammate.

Worster and blood -revised.jpg

The History of Longhorn Sports

Chris McComb
    These were the kind of men that made the tough, hard-nosed, blue-collar culture what it was during the best times of Longhorn football and what I hope can be again, someday soon. Thank you gentlemen, for your tremendous efforts and leadership. Lifting up the family and friends of Mr Steve Worster.. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Comfort, peace, strength upon them, in Jesus’ Name.. [​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Thanks Billy