Still baffled by 'Texas Aggies'

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by LongJohn, May 22, 2008.

1. LongJohn

LongJohn 100+ Posts

Disclaimer: possible dead horse beating but what the hell...

Saw a "Texas Aggies" sticker on a car windshield the other day and it never ceases to amaze and amuse. Seen the same thing on aggy baseball uniforms.

This is not some "saw-em-off" t-shirt made by a third party. This is university licensed stuff and uniforms. Just illustrates the institutionalized "bevo envy" that permeates that place top to bottom.

It would be no different than having a Texas Red Raiders or Texas Bobcats sticker. But you don't see that because they are comfortable with their own identity. Catch a clue ags!

2. SigPi_Horn

SigPi_Horn 500+ Posts

Texas Aggies?

[​IMG]

3. AgFan00

AgFan00 100+ Posts

University of Texas Longhorns or Texas A&M Aggies
    Texas Longhorns or Texas Aggies.

One references the state, and the other references the university, it's not a hard concept. Know what baffles me? Why it bothers horns so much. Wasn't there a thread here complaining about Ron Franklin referring to us as Texas Aggies? Geez.

4. EasternHorn

EasternHorn 500+ Posts

AgFan,

Under that logic, why don't we have the Texas Red Raiders?

5. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

6. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

7. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

8. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Actually, it's not The University of Texas Longhorns and Texas A&M Aggies...

It's The University of Texas Longhorns and Texas Agriculture and Mechanical School Aggies.

9. AgFan00

AgFan00 100+ Posts

10. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

You serious, Clark? The state is Texas?!

[​IMG]

11. AgFan00

AgFan00 100+ Posts

I know, I was just joking around. I was under the assumption that Texas in Texas Longhorns represented the state. And a horn said it represented university instead, so I was being sarcastic.

12. LongJohn

LongJohn 100+ Posts

The name before the mascot references the institution, NOT the state. This is true in all instances. Therefore the designation between Michigan/Michgan State, Florida/Florida State, etc.

When someone says "Texas won the national championship" they are not asked to clarify..."Did you mean The University of Texas Longhorns, the Texas A&M Aggies, or the entire state of Texas?" There is no confusion about which university is referenced as "Texas" except in the Brazos Valley region.

Is this one of those "from the outside looking in" things? [​IMG]

13. sessamoid

sessamoid 500+ Posts

They don't teach "cleverness" in aggyland, do they?

14. 36Crossbuck

36Crossbuck 100+ Posts

You know, sometimes I think we can get too carried away with this stuff.

I totally get the "Texas Aggies" reference. It is meant to distinguish among Aggies, not Texans. As previously stated, many schools that have State in their names, used to be A&Ms (Oklahoma A&M, Utah A&M, Texas A&M, Kansas A&M, etc.). There are Cal Aggies even Connecticut Aggies.

I have seen Okie State's teams referred to as the "Sooner Aggies." Utah State, which paints a huge A on a mountain near campus and utelizes the A for Aggies, used to be called the "Utags."

I get it, they are well within their rights to use the phrase, big woop, as they say.

15. blueag09

blueag09 250+ Posts

I know some people here think we're trying to get rid of the A&M since we use "Texas Aggies". We would have easily changed the university's name to Texas State (way before SWTS did) had that been the case.

16. AgFan00

AgFan00 100+ Posts

well said crossbuck

17. AgFan00

AgFan00 100+ Posts

18. Puerto Aransas

Puerto Aransas 100+ Posts

19. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

20. 4th and 2

4th and 2 25+ Posts

EasternHorn, you beat me to it with the Texas Red Raiders saying. Is TCU referred to as the Texas Horned Frogs? What about the Texas Bobcats? aggy is so annoying.

21. hobbs4heisman

hobbs4heisman 100+ Posts

It is insulting to all non sheep loving people when A&M is refered to as the Texas Aggies. Saw a sticker on the back of a truck today and it made me throw up in my mouth just a little.

22. blueag09

blueag09 250+ Posts

In reply to:

23. LonghorninAustin

LonghorninAustin 1,000+ Posts

It is baffling when you think that someone might ask, "Did Texas win today?", and the response would need to be, "Are you talking about the Texas Longhorns or the Texas Aggies?"

24. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

I can't say I've ever heard of a "Texas Aggie."

Then again, if the word "A&M" was in your name, wouldn't you try to get rid of it too?

25. tj11_hookem

tj11_hookem 100+ Posts

Geez this is ******* stupid. And the stupid always has to include the aggies.

You are Texas A&M, call yourselves that.

And I've never heard one person leave the State off of Utah State and New Mexico State. Nor ANY school for that matter that has anything else on it's SCHOOL NAME (Tech, State, A&M, etc).

dumb

26. blueag09

blueag09 250+ Posts

A&M had always been referred to as the "Texas Aggies" by the media ever since the early 1900s. (see
    The Link
    ) Y'all know A&M - it never wants to get rid of things from the past. I think it's just a matter of coincidence rather than "bevo envy".

27. Hans Sprungfeld

Hans Sprungfeld 25+ Posts

From "Baja Oklahoma" by Dan Jenkins:

"What's a Texas Aggie?"

"Oh, it's just an old boy whose dad made him go to Texas A&M."

28. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

29. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

30. Huckleberry

Huckleberry 1,000+ Posts

I don't really have a problem with those guys calling themselves whatever they want to call themselves. The fact of the matter is that nearly the entire country will know you're talking about the Longhorns if you mention "Texas" in a discussion about colleges. The only annoying part is when you meet someone that has been confused by the Texas Aggies thing. But it doesn't take long to set them straight.