Still On Board?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by MajorRules00, Nov 8, 2021.

1. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

The rebuild is a bigger project than most expected. Expectations are gone. Now it's one game at a time. Are you still on board?

• Like Like x 1
  2. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

If you mean still supporting, yes. But still very discouraged and unhappy.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

Still on board in the sense that I'm looking forward to next year, but, as for the rest of this year, I'll be watching good, meaningful games from around the country rather than wasting any more tears on us.

• Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  4. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Always on board... but just bewildered and discouraged with this season.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Vino Bevo

Vino Bevo Wine - how classy people get drunk

:arrow-up: This :arrow-up:

I was thinking about it this morning after the anger from Saturday burned down. I tend to let the frustration get to me in the moment and turn to the "Screw this, I'm out and never going to another f*cking game nor spending another f*cking dollar" approach, then once I settle I remember I went to school there and had a wonderful experience, got an amazing education, have been a fan since my early years, etc. etc. I then recall that plenty of things suck at times before they don't, and just shake my head and decide to buck up and keep going. Still angry and confused, but always a fan.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Also in agreement with WorsterMan

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I have missed one home game over a time period longer than most on this board have been alive, and that miss (Rutgers) was deliberate to protest Cunningham hiring Mackovic after he was warned repeatedly not to do it by members of "the committee of 300".

I'll be there Saturday night. I have, however, resigned myself to the fact that there won't be another national championship in my lifetime.

I shall remain a "realist", which I have been for 50+ years, and believe that everyone is entitled to MY opinion.

:hookem2:

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

The project is turning out to look like a rebuild, which is unexpected.

He wasn't brought in here to rebuild. Herman already re-built. He was brought in here to get us unstuck from being limited to mostly-good and take us to great.

Now it's looking like in year 2 he's gonna have to rebuild from his own year 1.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

If they can win out and go 8-5 there will be some momentum. However, we are probably looking at 5-7 and no momentum...

Bama might beat us by 75 next year, and follow that up with a loss to UTSA to start the season 1-2 unless something drastically changes inside that locker room.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  10. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Definitely still on board. Been a Longhorn fan for 58 years, and nothing is going to change that.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. ATX_Horns

ATX_Horns 250+ Posts

Still on board .. still showing up early, wearing burnt orange and staying late. Am I changing my expectations for this year, You bet.. but it’s Hook Em’ till they plant me !

• Like Like x 8
  12. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

I bleed Burnt Orange and I'm on board.

Herman gets some credit for a slight rebuild, but Texas was never "back" the way some players proclaimed and us fans expected. The truth is that Texas hasn't fielded a full stable of athletic racehorses or junkyard dog leaders since Mack's days. Herman showed flashes, but had a bad habit of playing down to the opposition and losing.

I think this Texas roster hasn't fully recovered from the "social justice" internal division Herman allowed to fester in his last year. With due respect to admirable players like Sam Ehlinger and Josheph Ossai, Herman's 2020 failure to unify the team contributed to a roster of mentally weak cupcakes, hence all the disciplinary issues, transfers, and overall lack of leadership. Recall that Herman's own players were actively recruiting AGAINST Texas - Herman's last recruiting class was ranked in the mid-teens.

We have two legit blue ribbon players in Bijan and Xavier (maybe throw in Overshown), but the rest of the roster is comprised of overrated, mediocre players who fold under pressure. Point out one Texas player that is a junkyard dog leader. . . .

The rot has to be removed before this team gets mentally tougher. :hookem:

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
  13. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Of course I am on board. I'm on board with the Longhorns come rain or shine.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

I think the question was are you still on board with Sarkisian? Are we on board with the Longhorns is not a question that needs to be asked.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

I am on board only because I’m hostage.
    we are stuck.
    I am in favor of giving Sark 5 years as a minimum, for better or worse, only because we have got to stop cycling through coaches at the current pace.

I hope I am wrong but my guess is we will be an average team at best, under Sark.

If we are cursed to suffer humiliation for a few more years we might as well embrace it and hope the football gods will take pity and chose to smile on us again one day. Clearly they have been angered by our impatience and demands.

• Like Like x 3
  16. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

I gritted my teeth through the Charlie Strong years. Watched games alone and generally didn't talk college football socially. But I always remained a loyal fan.

I just didn't think I would have to do that again. Herman got us back to respectable. Not elite but respectable. I thought we were taking the next step ...

I will remain on board but I am back to avoiding discussions of college football. Basketball can't get here fast enough.

• Like Like x 3
  17. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I've come to the place where I need to be to have a healthy view and enjoy Longhorn football.
    I am there, and there I am. Same ship...new understanding and attitude.

"Ain't nothin' changed 'cept the number after the dot."

• Like Like x 2
  18. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Herman had to go for reasons having nothing to do with winning and losing, Herman won enough games to keep his job through this year at least but he was fired because of everything else, so we needed a new coach period. Was Sark the right choice, the early returns aren't great but we gave Charlie three years, Sark gets at least as many. I am resigned to a 5-7 finish or maybe 6-6(6-7 with bowl loss) if the team pulls off an upset in Morgantown or against our once and future purple overlords. This team has no depth, bad DL and even worse OL which exposes everything else on both sides of the ball and also perhaps most disappointingly just isnt mentally tough and in combination all of those are hard to overcome. Texas will only get back to what it was in the early 2000s with three or four good recruiting classes and that is just going to take time. It sucks but that is reality. Thankfully we wont be in the SEC next year or we could have been looking at a 2-10/3-9 kind of year.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Same.

Still hoping Second Half Steve will right the ship. He should get the time he deserves to do so. A little continuity might help.

• Like Like x 4
  20. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

On Board 100%

• Like Like x 2
  21. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

On board forever and the Bluto in me would remind all that Santa Anna was kicking butt from San Antonio to San Patricio to Refugio to Goliad and a lot of people got discouraged and burned their farms and ran away. But those who stuck by Sam Houston as he ran around like a rat on fire got to see things turned around in 15 minutes and are now the revered and honored dead.

I sat through the entirety of Route 66 and stayed to sing The Eyes.

As is written on John Meusebach's tombstone and the only thing written on it in English, TEXAS FOREVER.

As my Aggie cousins say, Whoop!!!

• Like Like x 4
  22. Gontex2

Gontex2 100+ Posts

Love my Longhorns but I think it would be best for all involved if Sark would admit he made a mistake by coming to Austin, settle for a year's salary and resign. Something just isn't right here.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  23. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

Still on board, just wish the boat wasn’t leaking.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

This losing streak is baffling. We have been playing lights out in the first half, level off or trend down slightly in the 3rd quarter, then crash and burn in the 4th. Definitely lack depth. Our QBs are fair at best, but are not to the level we need. Is some of what we see the hangover from the previous years under TH? Probably. If those guys don't like the new coaching staff, then they need to go find another home. "Last Chance U" is always an option for them.

25. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

I hope you have no current serious ailments and with sime good single malt and modern medicine you and I will be posting in 15 years.

• Like Like x 1
  26. MeatHeadHorn

MeatHeadHorn 1,000+ Posts

We were up 4 scores on oU and playing out of our minds… and now we are here with lower highs all the way down. I think we’ve all experienced something akin to football PTSD. I’ve gradually tempered my expectations and want to see Sark get his shot and get some solid classes in. If Worthy is any indication of how he can recruit, preferably lineman, than we have a future to hope for. I’ve bled orange since I was 4 and that’s not changing, but I’m bewildered, disappointed and frustrated.
    Hook’em

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I’ve supported the Horns for 60 years. I cuss them occasionally (0k, fairly regularly lately)but I always come back.

• Like Like x 3
  28. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Charlie Strong should of been fired after year 1. Period. We wasted 2 years, being nice. He was incompetent here and also destroyed South Florida.
    If we could find a coach that can take us 9-3 next year, we should fire Sark. He is taking the program backwards. From what I see, the team is getting worse and worse and Sark doesn’t know how to stop it.
    I know a lot of people were hoping for better but Texas deserves a coach that can come in immediately and make things better. The last 5 loses have been absolutely disgusting.

All that being said I hope we beat Kansas only because Stark will get 1 more year of this. I’m assuming we aren’t going into the SEC with a sick program.

• Hot Hot x 1
  29. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Fire Sarkisian after 2 years and we'll be negotiating with likes the of Clay Helton. The BMD's, who are obviously so much smarter than me because they're so much richer, have ****** it up so bad it's laughable. Hey Mr. BMD, you don't have the first damn clue.

• Hot Hot x 1
  30. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

1957 - University president calls the most successful college football coach of all time and asks who he would recommend. Coach Wilkinson suggested he hire his former QB. DKR worked out well for almost 20 years.

1976 - Governor Shivers & Frank Erwin buck DKR and hire Fred Akers, who immediately turned things from 5-5-1 to 11-1

1986 - DKR and his army finally get Fred's scalp in perhaps the ugliest moment in Texas sports history. They push David in.

1991 - David retires & Willie Cunningham hires John Mackovic. Did Michigan State ever send The University a thank you note or gift for taking their dead wood?

1997 - DKR pulls another coup, goes to Hartsfield and hires Mack Brown, who pulled off the impossible by reuniting the Longhorn faithful, Revered even though he won how many conference championships? 3?

2013 - Billie Powers defies BMDs and all football minds to establish his legacy and hires Charlie Strong.

2016 - school officials go balls to the wall to hire the latest hot commodity grabbing Tom Herman before LSU could talk to him.

2020 - School officials grab Steve Sarkisian from Alabama.

How much of the hires in last 64 years have been BMDs, and how many have been educrats?

• Like Like x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1