Still On Board?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by MajorRules00, Nov 8, 2021.

1. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Yeah agree on Sam. I have to admit I was one of the ones who’d deluded myself into think Casey could replace Sam and even be better.
    I was really critical of TH for never having the stones to play CT when Sam struggled. maybe Tom Herman knew a little more than we did about QBs.

no knock on CT’s talent. You just can’t put a value on leadership like Sam’s

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I believe there is more to this than many will believe. Texas has become a pressure cooker to win now and big and the players know the deal. Do some need to toughen up? Apparently so...
    But do these young men need to play loose. have fun, and enjoy competing to play well? The answer has to be yes, as well. Our coaches have been uptight, looking over their shoulders themselves from day one... and our players have too.

"We've just got to, like I've been saying, have fun out there," Brewer said. "I think that's what we've been lacking these past four weeks. We've been too tight. We've just got to have some fun out there and just play the game we love." -Cade Brewer

There are two more quotes similar from other players I cannot relocate ATM..say they are too uptight and not enjoying the game for the games same and having fun.

I think what we have here is a combination of mental vulnerability/softness that just aided in a spiral after they gave up that ou lead and bled into following weeks. Sometimes you are just missing a couple ingredients to make something good...but, if they are key ingredients....the result isnt just ok...it is plain bad.

So we have balancing this need...one I believe in..to play loose and have fun again...with the need for urgency, accountability, and laying it all out there on every play.. greater maturity and responsibility and not shying away from the challenge at hand.

Just my 2c

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  3. RainH2burntO

• Hot Hot x 1
  4. RainH2burntO

• Hot Hot x 1
  5. Detective Shilala

I think the loss to OU ripped their heart out. OSU then showed them their still beating hearts. then Baylor ate it raw in front of them like some kind of baptist version of an Indiana Jones kali death cult. Iowa State is real proud of themselves for whatever they did to our heart, but we were finally dead for that point.

At this point there is nothing left to play for. Maybe some of the younger guys will step up. It would be nice to finish the season with some glimpse of new team identity forming.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

It would be nice to finish the season, win or lose, with a number of upperclassmen riding the bench.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

Amen Sangre, If they aren't in it to win then sit the asses on the Pine!

• Like Like x 3
  8. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

I have an idea on how to start having 'fun'. Start winning. There are few things I have experienced in life more fun than winning. They need to execute, play to their ability and start being the team feared instead of looking frightened.

I get your point Rain and I think you are on to something, but damn winning cures a lot...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Detective Shilala

its a chicken and egg thing.
    You can't have fun and play loose if you're losing.
    But you also can't win unless you're having fun and playing loose.

I agree, if it happens, its going to start with the younger guys.
    The older guys on this team are too disabused of the notion of winning.

10. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Agree DS
    What is puzzling is the older guys were also winners in HS and in most cases highly recruited.
    Where is their pride? They should be excited to play for Sark.
    That is what I don't get

11. William Bush

William Bush 25+ Posts

Vince maybe, not Earl.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Vince and a couple of others would have taken control.

• Like Like x 1
  13. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

I think he may have meant playing Kansas is fun.

14. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

We shall see tomorrow night.

• Hot Hot x 1
  15. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Chances are we lose 1 of the next 3. Maybe this team will want to go to a bowl. The win against Kansas should build confidence. Finishing 7-6 with a bowl win over someone like Tennessee will give a glimmer of hope for next year.
    Anything less will feel like a complete disaster.

16. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

That's funny. Josh Heupel has Tennessee averaging almost 40 points per game. We have similar defenses but their offense is clicking. These are two programs headed in opposite directions right now and I never thought I would say anything positive about Tennessee again.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Luthor Billis

Luthor Billis 100+ Posts

Today, I was working on my dock. I had a lot of screws to drill into the wood, but I decided to complete each one only 3/4th, leaving them to stick out and hurt my guests. Hey, it was good enough. Then, I put my garbage can out, but only took it 3/4 to the street curb, thinking that should be quite enough. It brings me almost a great sense of satisfaction to almost complete tasks. I get the feeling that our Longhorns feel that same sense of pride.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Hot Hot x 1
  18. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

Bingo. VY was an incredible talent. He was also a field general. We need on-field leaders like that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

If David Thomas & Casey Studdard were on this team, they would never play because their hands would be healing from beating the **** out of malcontents on this team every week. That's the leadership we haven't had since 2005.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Amen! I hear it from former players on the radio all the time. There is zero leadership and no one willing to hold the players accountable for performance. As long as it's only the coaches holding players accountable the team will never excel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Uh oh, if the players read this and can put two and two together on your metaphor of the team, you're in trouble, buddy!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  22. horninchicago

I thought Musburger said Major was The General.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I am absolutely on board with great recruiting the main reason.
    I have been disappointed in Sark for play calling and other decisions.

24. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

LOL. I always enjoyed Musburger's "The Major drops back" calls. He was such a great announcer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. horninchicago

You and I will have many dissenters, but I thought he was great, too. On the call for MANY big Longhorn moments, and always very enthusiastic.

"Thuuuu Maaaajor!"

• Like Like x 2