strange snacks that you enjoy

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by CaptainEd, Jan 13, 2008.

1. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

So I have certain snacks that may be slightly out of the ordinary to eat on a regular basis and just wanted to see what's on everyone else's list.

-Breastone's Cottage Cheese - I always keep a big container around so I can grab a random spoonful here and there.
    -Santa Barbara Jalapeno Olives - these come in a large jar at Sam's and I may be addicted to them.
    -Talk 'O Texas Hot Pickled Okra - so tasty.
    -Frozen Gummi Bears - I always have a bag in the freezer but they HAVE to be frozen and they HAVE to be Haribo Gold-Bears.
    -Pellegrino Sparkling Mineral Water - I buy this stuff by the case and will have a large bottle every 1-2 days.

So what are your strange snack addictions?

2. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

roasted soy beans... marketed as 'soy nuts' sometimes.

3. Beef

Beef 100+ Posts

I used to eat crackers and ketchup when I was a kid.

4. ElJefe

ElJefe 100+ Posts

My wife likes to make little cheez-its/cream cheese sandwhiches

5. Brisketexan

Brisketexan 1,000+ Posts

All the odd canned critters you often see in specialty/foreign grocery stores.

Smoked oysters, octopus and squid, both in their own ink or in varioius sauces (hot sauce, garlic and olive oil), clams, cockles, smoked mussels, fish steaks in hot sauce, etc. All of them.

When I was a kid, my dad and I would go out before Super Bowl Sunday and buy a dozen cans of odd stuff. That was our gameday tradition -- open them all up and eat oysters, octopus, sardines, etc. while watching the game. The smell of the burps was epic.

6. Rip76

Rip76 1,000+ Posts

2 favorites.

Ritz crakers, cottage cheese & Lowery's Seasoning Salt.

Funyun's and Ketchup - tastes like fried shrimp

7. hullabelew

hullabelew 1,000+ Posts

Brisket, That is some funny stuff.

I'm learning some I need to try. Frozen gummi bears and Rip's funyons have my intrigued.

8. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

when i was a kid i liked plain potato chips with ketchup. i would probably still eat that.

9. flaco

flaco 500+ Posts

Cinnamon Life cereal with chocolate syrup and milk.

10. Roger

Roger 1,000+ Posts

11. Roger

Roger 1,000+ Posts

oh also like pickled cauliflower

12. Fanny McLonghorn

Fanny McLonghorn 100+ Posts

Skewered and barbecued peeps.

Well, grilled peeps, actually, I wouldn't say marshmallow peeps need to go the low and slow route.

13. Brisketexan

Brisketexan 1,000+ Posts

14. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

Brining peeps tend to make them really salty, doesn't it?

I like kippered herring snacks on saltines with ketchup and Cholula on top.

15. Sooner-Tuf

Sooner-Tuf 1,000+ Posts

Peanut Butter and Toasted Corn Doritos Sandwiches, Mayonaise Sandwiches, Wolf Brand chili room temperature straight from the can, Pickled Anything, Prunes with powdered Coffee Mate. You name it I will probably eat it and enjoy it as long as it doesn't involve a fresh tomato..... yuck!

16. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

17. spystud13

spystud13 250+ Posts

Kipper snacks on crackers with creole mustard & chedder or colby-jack cheese...

18. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

I really like snacking on the dried Nori sheets they use to make sushi rolls with. Just the sheets, nothing else.

19. pike

pike 250+ Posts

dill pickle slices with lays potato chips are the best!!!

20. txre

txre 100+ Posts

Popcorn and Best Maid dill pickles.

21. SouthernSooner

SouthernSooner 100+ Posts

-- Those badass rosemary and cracked pepper crackers from Central Market.

-- I'm another huge Talk-O-Texas pickled okra fan (although I love okra in any form or fashion).

-- Slices of bleu cheese. Mmmmmmm.

-- A good sweet onion (1015, Vidalia, Maui, etc.) in vinegar.

-- A good homegrown tomato, sliced and drizzled with olive oil with some cracked pepper.

22. Brubricker

Brubricker 250+ Posts

Get some of Price's Zesty Jalapeno Cheese Spread. Put a big, fat glob of it on a Ritz cracker and top it with a cherry tomato. YUM!!

23. hullabelew

hullabelew 1,000+ Posts

I love tomatoes with garlic salt and Tabasco sauce.

24. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

forgot - cucumber slices left soaking in apple cider vinegar and black pepper for a couple of days in the fridge are delicious.

25. Mrmyke709

Mrmyke709 1,000+ Posts

Pickled beets.
    I can eat a whole freaking jar.
    I have met one other person that likes beets in my entire life.

26. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

27. Brisketexan

Brisketexan 1,000+ Posts

My wife actually likes pickled beets, and I despise them, which is odd, because she is a pickier eater than I am. Indeed, there are but a handful of foods that I don't like (I only count foods that I have actually tried. For example, I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't like baked Maylaysian goatshit casserole, but as I haven't had it, I can't issue a final judgement.

Foods I don't like:

Pickled beets
    mountain oysters (texture thing)

Geez. That's pretty much it. There are some foods that I'm not so crazy about, but those are the only "don't likes" that I can think of for now.

And as for more odd snacks that I like-- pickles dipped in spicy mustard really isn't that odd is it? How about pan fried Spam? Hard boiled quail eggs, soaked in a jar of jalapenos in the fridge for a couple of weeks? Those freaking rock -- I can pop a half dozen of those like candy.

28. Idahorn2

Idahorn2 250+ Posts

Chive cheese and Rye bread.

Actually Kraft cream cheese with chives, spread on those little 4" square cocktail rye breads. If you can't get that rye, Oroweat Extra Sour will work. Synergistic and dam near ambrosia.

29. numbereleven

numbereleven 250+ Posts

Boar's Head horseradish pickle chips are crazy good. I eat 'em with a little corn cob holder. My HEB just stopped carrying them, which is a pisser.

I love me some wheat thins with cream cheese and jap jelly.

And every now and then, I'll devour a slice of Kraft American cheese. Just unwrap it and rock it. A good salty fix.

I disgust myself sometimes.

30. Les Claypool

Les Claypool 25+ Posts

peanut butter and pickle sandwiches.