Strike two, Alabama...

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Horn87, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

well ousux was strike one, one of the doors for the tide to get in was closed wtih the swooners winning. Strike two, imo, was a Georgia squad that soundly defeated a team that soundly defeated a Bama squad. Now, all of our hopes and prayers rest with Wisky, who must defeat tosu to ensure that Satan will not be able to enter the CFP---oh this is the only way to ensure that we have more than this stupid 4 TEAM playoff (if we are going to call it that)---what say you, Longhorn Brethren??? exapand this to 8 team people, with each Power 5 CF having a rep along with 3 others at your choosing...

• Like Like x 1
  2. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

This might seem weird, but I'm a 6 team playoff guy. I think 8 is too many.

Six is enough to eliminate the pretenders.

Top 2 receive a Quarterfinals bye.

6-Team-Single-Seeded.gif

• Like Like x 4
  3. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

hey, anything is better than just 4---thought it is asinine to just have 4 when you have FIVE (5) power conferences--but 6 is a start, brother!

• Like Like x 3
  4. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I like six.
    But I think you will need eight to get beyond good 1 or 2 loss teams.
    Or maybe six power five and two outside teams can play their way in.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

• Like Like x 5
  6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I like 6 teams, top 2 have byes. Also, I want it to go back to computer and poll algorithm

7. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

You stole that from Larry Culpepper

8. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

Could AnM educate every student for a year for 75 million? This is crazy.

9. beer_dog

beer_dog 100+ Posts

Or they could buy 75 million dollars worth of sheep and make every aggy happy for a lifetime.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

If UCF wasn't in the top 6 of a cfp bracket, you'd have to go back to two teams in a final ....Undefeated...., if you have 6 in a cfp you can't exclude an undefeated w/o severe backlash (and i don't personally blv ucf is a top 6 team)

• Like Like x 2
  11. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Eight would be good. I think Alabama could still sneak in; they have one loss and arguably it was just a loss to a hot and lathered up hated rival. OU lost to Iowa State didn't they? Whose loss was worse? I say OU's. This is not to say OU is not worthy but by contrast Alabama is also worthy.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  12. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

At this point it seems like Ohio State or Alabama to fill in the fourth spot. One loss Alabama vs two loss State. Last year State got in without a conference championship. This year with two losses and a championship? It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

13. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Pulling for Whiskey but don't think they have the mojo to beat buckeyes this eve.

14. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

I would be happy with ONLY the four best CONFERENCE champions make the playoffs.

15. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

No NC for ou.

We need ou to lose to Clemson, Georgia or probably tOSU in the playoff series... nothing good comes from ou winning, nothing.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

But will that happen??? If Bama makes it, then No--no B10 or Pac12---imo more chaos the better

• Like Like x 1
  17. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

You are right about that. The NC and their low academic entrance requirements would be brutal on the recruiting trail. Then you add TCU and A&M with their new sheriff, along with LSU on the edges and the usual Ohio State and Alabama encroachments and we will be in a knife fight.

Herman needs to get his sh*t together and get it together fast.

• Like Like x 2
  18. LonghornCatholic

Never heard of the dude, but okay.

19. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

LOL, the Dr Pepper guy.

• Like Like x 3
  20. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  21. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

He is doing pretty well on the recruiting trail so far, assuming he can keep most of the class together.

• Like Like x 1
  22. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

However many conferences we have that’s how many teams it should be

• Like Like x 1
  23. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

how soon will that occur and will it stay together??

24. LonghornCatholic

Well, I am a sucker for Dr Pepper lol.

25. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Yes, I hear you there... but as long as OU is doing this well with a new coach then it's going to be a challenge to sustain recruiting momentum.

26. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

While four is too few, my problem with six is, can you fairly and reasonably separate the top two teams? This year I don't believe that you can. Thus, the two teams that are afforded the bye have a huge and unjustified advantage. For that reason my vote would be for eight.

• Like Like x 4
  27. LonghornCatholic

Actually, Aggy is gonna win the next 15 Natties, so why are we even having this discussion? :idk:

• Like Like x 1
  28. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

We're doomed.

• Like Like x 1
  29. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not to mention the Collie Station bank is open again, and TCU has just had their first ever 5 star commit.

Slick recruiters are needed, but wins on the field must follow.

• Like Like x 2
  30. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

I have not looked, but I am sure someone HAS...in the NCAA I-AA playoffs, is it common to see anyone from outside the 'top 8' make it to the Championship Game? They have had their playoff process in place for many years (and, I guess, so has D2 and D3 but I never went to a school that would have had a dog in that hunt...I did, OTOH spend some time at Sam Houston).