Strong/Traylor Met With Cumbie

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Godz40acres, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Sunday evening (12/6) Charlie Strong and Jeff Traylor flew to Fort Worth and met with TCU Co-OC Sonny Cumbie for about 4 hours. Supposedly, Traylor and Cumbie are "friends" via Cumbie's past recruiting in east Texas.

I read that Strong was given the okay to offer him a multi-year guaranteed deal paying him $1 mil annually. The rumor is that Cumbie may also be allowed to select one or two O coaches of his own.

• Like Like x 1
  2. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

Link?

3. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

this gives me a boner.

4. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

If true, and if Cumbie accepts, this would be a major upgrade. Hope for the best!

5. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

6. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

According to Chip Brown, Charlie is going to meet with the Tulsa OC and then hopefully hire someone on Tuesday... We may have caught a break on the Cumbie front with Lincoln Riley not going to EC (or so it sounded this morning on 1300) because OU might have jumped into the fray.

• Like Like x 1
  7. biggie1928

biggie1928 25+ Posts

can someone please explain why we are so high on Cumbie?
    he's co-oc of a system he doesn't even call plays in
    I am afraid this will another "Harsin"-like mistake.

How about this scenario --- offer Todd Dodge co-oc to bring him into the College ranks, and bring in one of Charlie's trusted mentors in Steve Spurrier (who seemed to make it clear he wasn't "retiring", but just done at SC) and give him a 2 year deal as a kind of swan song, and to help make sure Dodge is as ready as some think he is.

Dodge, along with retaining Traylor would be a recruiting home-run for Charlie in the state of Texas.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Interesting with Spurrier; he could be the Tex Winter guru for Phil Jackson example. Ha...

Was Harsin a mistake or was he tired of Mack's desperate attempts to save himself?

9. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

I would love to have Harsin as OC.

• Like Like x 2
  10. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Harsin wasn't a mistake.

I'm not seeing what Todd Dodge has done that makes him viable here. He's been in college exactly four years. A single season as QB coach for Pittsburgh and three as head coach at UNT after which he was fired. When has Todd Dodge called plays on a collegiate level and been good at it? We say that Strong is in over his head because "all he did was be the head coach at Louisville for five(?) years", but we're going to turn the offense over to a guy that's never been successful at anything bigger than Westlake H.S.? That makes no sense at all.

11. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

Prodigal.....do you mean Southlake Carroll

What is going on with Lincoln Riley?

12. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

We are planning to pay for a high dollar OC instead of firing the incompetent boob we have as Head Coach? What a sham. After two years and a 11-14 record we are going to get excited over trying to fix what should have never happened in the first place by this Head coach? Ridiculous. Fire Strong and bring in a competent Head Coach that is smart enough to properly hire his staff. Also, what about the terrible DC?? How much is going to be paid to get a competent DC?? Then what ? Strong puts his feet up on his desk?
    It is not about the symptom, it is about the disease.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Dodge is at Westlake now. I do think it is fair to say he had more success at Carroll than he has had so far at Westlake.

14. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I get this. Who made the decisions to hire these coaches and allow them to make critical personnel choices and game-day schemes? Watson goes with Swoopes and apparently does not change the offense (only speeded it up). Bedford plays a defense against Baylor more concerned about giving up a pass than a run. Who hired these guys? Who let them coach like this?

15. ProdigalHorn

I said Westlake because that's where he is now, but from a performance standpoint, you're right, Carroll was where he shone and made his reputation.

16. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Well, I'm a Westlake fan so leave him alone! :)

• Like Like x 3
  17. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, Dodge is an offensive whiz and a recruiting dynamo at the college level with four years experience as head coach and one as quarterbacks coach at Pittsburgh. This overlooked genius was able to win 6 games against only 37 losses while head coach at the University of North Texas.

As much as the prospect of hiring Dodge would excite the Longhorn faithful, I'd prefer Perrin, Strong and Traylor make a decision between Cumbie and Gilbert, offer a contract and "get 'er done."

• Like Like x 3
  18. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I agree, leave Dodge at Westlake. He's proven to be a winner at the HS level. His College level record is not impressive.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  20. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

This could be something favorable for our Horns. :hookem:

21. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  22. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Great!! Get 'er done, and #let's ride!!

23. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

Secret channels are reporting that Cumbie was seen with a pen in one hand (possibly a Cross brand but could be a Bic), and what appeared to be papers in the other hand. No reports yet on whether a suitable writing surface was nearby. Stay tuned.

• Like Like x 6
  24. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

Update - there is a powerful scent of money in the halls of Moncrief.

25. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I hope it's done quickly and not later. Get the deal inked and get on the recruiting trail!

26. ProdigalHorn

Cumby needs to move out of the way in this picture...

• Like Like x 5
  27. ProdigalHorn

Sign here. Press hard. Three copies. (That may be out-dated. They don't use carbon sheets anymore...)

Oh, and here's the address to Buechele's house. You kids have fun.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, I can't read what's on that pink tag.

• Like Like x 2
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Norvell interviewed for OC job at ASU yesterday.

Previous ASU OC became HC at Memphis.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Cumbie brought the wife along

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1