Strong/Traylor Met With Cumbie

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Godz40acres, Dec 7, 2015.

1. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Completely agree, if he makes this work people would be knocking down doors for him, but he knows what's best for him and his family so wish home nothing but the best until the week they play Texas

• Like Like x 3
  2. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I would imagine that at some point he's expecting to get play-calling duties at TCU. If he feels like that's in his near future, then staying there isn't a bad decision. And he's got a lot invested there and has been building a program that's not quite where they want it yet, so I can't blame him for wanting to see it through if he thinks they have a chance to play for a title.

• Like Like x 3
  3. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

No worries...get Gilbert if he's the fit and let's get ready to play some ball!

• Like Like x 3
  4. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

5. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Well that's disappointing/sucks on Cumbie. I have no opinion on Gilbert at this time as I need to research him. If he is the guy, i hope he is better than our last Gilbert.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I'm hearing Gilbert's connection to Briles was as a graduate assistant in 2005 so they doesn't make him a guru based upon that fact alone. From the link I posted on Cumbie above:

"If Cumbie was a direct member of the Mike Leach coaching tree, Gilbert's lineage is distinctly Art Briles. He served as a graduate assistant under Briles at Houston in 2005."

8. Texas Lawhorn

Texas Lawhorn 100+ Posts

I was always kind of leery of Cumbie anyways. I didn't like the fact that he did not have play calling responsibilities. We need an OC that has been responsible for calling the plays. I definitely like hiring someone with deep Texas ties like Gilbert. Charlie needs all the help he can get with high school coaches in Texas.

• Like Like x 4
  9. kobs1776

kobs1776 100+ Posts

Personally, I think Cumbie not coming is a good thing. My god he played at Sand Aggy and now coaches for the cockroaches!
    Someone on an earlier post said it best, "I won't someone who is itching to be here"..."who is excited about being a Longhorn!"
    Everyone needs to chillax. (A word my daughter uses) we will get a great OC! Our future is VERY VERY BRIGHT!
    My prediction right now for 2016 is 11-1. I think we win the Big12 but get left out of the dance due to our loss. Just my opinion...

• Like Like x 5
  10. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

You're nuts, but I like your post anyway LOL!

• Like Like x 2
  11. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Play calling is a skill. Like when to use timeouts as a HC in bball. It has to be honed, trained and developed over time. I would almost always take someone who has their ability proven rather than someone who still needs to develop said skills.

12. ProdigalHorn

Come on... I'm sure he has an X-box at home!

• Like Like x 1
  13. kobs1776

kobs1776 100+ Posts

Yes I am nuts! I watch the Horns every week! I sit in the same spot and no one is allowed to move once we start winning! I.e. "I am in the winning position" unfortunately the last 5 years l have not found it very often.
    I truly think with some changes to both Coordinators we can win 11 next year.
    We have a LOT of young talent that played this year! A LOT! Cage, Conner, Jefferson, Burt, the majority of the secondary! Etc...
    This group of freshman is going to leave the 40 acres after achieving many wins!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

THIS time I wish we'd all take a deep breath relax and wait for a decision before we praise or insult Gilbert.
    well except that wouldn't be as much fun.

• Like Like x 2
  15. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Personally I have a good feeling about Gilbert, and think he will accept the job if offered, as I suspect. I didn't have a warm and fuzzy about Cumbie. Too much hype for me.

As others have said, we need to have coaches who are thrilled to be here and who understand the significance of succeeding at Texas.

• Like Like x 2
  16. ProdigalHorn

Well he's in a totally different situation from Cumbie. He's clearly not going to play for anything substantial at Tulsa, and this is his chance to do that. Cumbie is already in that position, even if he doesn't have full play-calling duties (which I suspect he'll have soon). I'd be pretty surprised if he turns this down, unless he's got a head coaching gig in his sights. Or if Alabama calls him...

17. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

I'm familiar with a G-spot but not a W-spot. I'll have to try that.

I apologize for the above and humbly withdraw the statement.

• Like Like x 1
  18. harry_horns

harry_horns 250+ Posts

Boy, some of you really take posts on a message board personally.

I'm sorry, but I think it's kind of funny that the guy so many people in the fan base are claiming to be "the guy who can turn it around" can't even get an assistant from TCU to take a promotion and $1 million to come to Texas. This shouldn't come as a shock but an affirmation of Charlie's inability to operate as head coach of a power 5 program.

In regards to this, you must've been confused reading my earlier post. I'm not sure how you read "for Charlie to succeed, Cumbie is a must have" from me as a hire that "I don't think will matter." Also, not sure where in that post I said Cumbie was the "ONLY PERSON in the ENTIRE COACHING WORLD that can solve this issue." In fact, I'm pretty sure Bill Belichick or Tom Herman would make great OC hires. But seeing as they're both unavailable, I was talking to what I thought was the best OC available for Texas in regards to offensive production in Big XII play.

There are probably other competent OC candidates available for hire. I do not think this guy from Tulsa is one of them, considering they didn't necessarily play some defensive killers on their way to a 6-6 season. However, seeing as Strong is even't able to pluck a Co-OC from TCU, I wouldn't trust him to accomplish much better. But that might just me being "angry at the world" today, so who knows :hookem:

19. kobs1776

kobs1776 100+ Posts

You made me laugh!

20. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

If you think Strong will never get it done at Texas and should be fired now, fine, that's a valid opinion and I understand why a lot of people think that. I don't have a problem with anyone or even everyone thinking that. But letting that opinion twist nearly every situation into a reason to blame Strong for something new, is a clear sign of bias and agenda and a clear lack of objective thinking.

• Like Like x 3
  21. ProdigalHorn

You said:
    "Must" = required. I.e. the only slight chance that Charlie has is if he gets Cumbie.
    "slightest chance" = very unlikely to work. I.e. - "I don't think it will matter anyway"
    "Charlie has failed again" = his objective was to hire a specific coach, rather than to hire a strong OC candidate. You're either saying his goal was to hire Cumbie and ONLY Cumbie (in which case you're right, he failed), or you're saying that his goal was to hire a strong OC candidate and you can already call him a failure because he didn't get Cumbie.

Did I miss anything else?

22. LtSwtCrude

LtSwtCrude Guest

Well I go as far as to leave the remote in the winning position. Is that sad or what?! To dare not move it to another position or change much of anything where I'm sitting. And I'm not even superstitious :popcorn:

• Like Like x 4
  23. harry_horns

harry_horns 250+ Posts

I'm not going to sit here and break down post after post on a message board, because frankly, I don't want to spend my time doing so. But:

"probably" - most likely

"Must" - You got me there. However, I don't think Charlie has any chance at all without a proven OC in the Big 12 with knowledge of other Big 12 schools like Cumbie.

"slightest chance" - I think there is a possibility, but I think bad head coaching and returning the worst defense in school history and everyone involved with it will outweigh the strengths brought forth by a good OC hire.

"Charlie has failed again" - If Charlie's goal was not to hire Cumbie, I doubt he would've interviewed Cumbie first. Charlie interviewed Cumbie first. There was only one person named Sonny Cumbie in the race. That makes Charlie 0/1 on hiring Sonny Cumbies. 0/1 = 0%. 0% is a failing grade. I.e. Charlie failed at that objective. Just like winning 11 of 25 games. Winning 44% of games as head coach of a power conference member in the college level is considering failing. At least at Texas, I would assume. Being 0-11 when not scoring first is also 0%. Winning zero games when down at halftime is also 0%. These are, you guessed it, failing grades.

Did I miss anything else?

24. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I think the poster was insinuating you are acting like a whiny crybaby. The OU shirt was incidental.

25. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Only for the whiners. They created this mess, they have to live with the consequences. Besides, the less I liked Crumbie the more I learned about him. Probably wasn't going to be a good fit anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

This what I was asking a week ago. Sticking with it but we will never know.

27. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

This is my main beef too. Let's fire every coach who has a punter that drops the ball.

28. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

They created this mess? Not the record? Not the poor coaching?

I'll be damn. We have some real power!

• Like Like x 2
  29. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

Wait a minute....now that Cumbie turned us down, he is no good and we didn't want him anyway???? If Gilbert turns us down, will he also become persona non grata??

30. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Oh yeah, he'll be as bad aa Manny Diaz without so much as coaching a down!