Strong vs Herman

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Hambonehorn, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Hambonehorn

Hambonehorn < 25 Posts

Who is the better coach? Everything I've seen tells me its not close and Herman is by far a better coach. Is Charlie is the same class as Meyer or Saban, not a chance. Is Herman, could be only time will tell but I like his start. With Herman's record and recruiting Texas needs to jump on the chance of an upgrade even if we end up with 7-8 wins. I sure hope this administration doesn't mess think one up.

• Like Like x 2
  2. K_C_Horn

K_C_Horn 25+ Posts

We have to weigh a few things Hambonehorn. What conferences they coach in, how many years they've been coaching, what kind of teams they've played in their careers, what kind of teams they've put together on their own, etc. I honestly don't know much about Herman but I'm definitely going to research him to see what he's all about the closer it's looking like we might get to making a decision on a new coach.

3. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Herman will get it done anywhere he works.

4. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 2
  5. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Herman is not ready to drive this car yet he will be in the same position as strong in 3 years. I'm not saying he isn't a good coach but texas is more than just w-l's

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ajo Macho

Ajo Macho 500+ Posts

It might be reasonable to compare Herman now vs. Strong pre-Texas. Aside from his time here, Strong's resume is excellent, and Herman hasn't been a coach at a big program yet.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Ajo,

Strong had never been HC at a big program when he arrived in Austin. Loserville has never been a "big program" except in basketball. They were such a "big program" that Papa John offered to pay FSU's ACC exit fee (eight figures) to take them with FSU to the Big XII. Of course that was before little Chuckie NeinASS humped the puppy and took the Big XII's virginity.

8. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Who is this person you keep referring to as NeinASS?

Also, did he kick your dog or something else you can't get over?

9. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Look up chuckie neinass. If is available look as some of his deals like brokering an assistant AD facing cocaine possession charges to a Public Ivy, and then using his influence to place an unqualified HC at the same school. That's small potatoes to what he did while taking the Big XII's money. I'll leave you with this thought - if little chuckie NeinASS hadn't ****** things up, the Big XII would look much different and battle the SEC for the #1 athletic conference in the country. He played Bowelsby like crack *****, but got played worse by someone else. Follow the money and draw your own conclusions.

10. JustWin

JustWin 250+ Posts

Since SH didn't give you an unbiased direct answer, you can look at the interweb for Chuck Neinas. You probably won't find the "inside story" which SH shares with us, but maybe you'll learn enough to ask questions should you care to. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Read my post, and many others, in the "Texas "Will Break the Bank" for Herman" thread. There are many discussions about this topic already. I realize you are a 1st time poster but sometimes it's good to read through a few days worth of previous threads.

12. Txreds

Txreds 250+ Posts

13. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Herman is in a different league of coaching aptitude and ability. He's not Saban or Meyer (not yet anyway) but he is way better than what we have now and I hope we have a deal with him for 2017

14. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Herman is 6-0 vs. top 25 with 5 wins by double digits.

#25 Memphis (1)
    #16 Navy (21)
    #20 Temple (11)
    #9 FSU (14)
    #3 OU (10)
    #3 L'ville (26)

Since Dec he's whipped three top 10 teams at freakin' UH.

Strong's record vs. top 25 at Texas? 5-10 (1 win by double digits)

1-5 in 2014
    2-3 in 2015
    2-2 in 2016

This one isn't even a contest in who is more equipped to immediately and consistently lead Texas back to national relevance.

• Like Like x 2
  15. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

One measure of a coach's greatness is how their former team did once they left.
    Urban Meyer leaves Florida, they go down.
    Harbaugh leaves the 49ers, they go down.
    Chip Kelly leaves Oregon, they take a step back.
    Charlie Strong leaves Louisville....?:yippee:
    Mack Brown leaves Texas.....?:whiteflag:

• Like Like x 2
  16. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

I remember a similar sentiment with another Houston coach a few years back. Can't remember his name but he went on to coach at some dumpy school on the Brazos River. Seems like that school has been considering firing him for the last few years.

Not saying Herman isn't a good coach but he is not the "sure thing" everyone seems to think. Quite frankly, if we do move on from Strong I would be in favor of Larry Fedora as much or more than Herman. He has now elevated two programs beyond their historic achievement, he has tons of Texas ties, and the last coach we got from UNC did pretty well here.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Herman has 3 losses in 2 years at Houston, that at least qualifies him to be maybe a position coach somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Aside from Ford's Theater Abraham Lincoln's entertainment experience was excellent

• Like Like x 2
  19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts