Stuffed Jalapenos

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Crockett, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I've been working on my bacon-wrapped jalapenos for a few years and want to share what I've learned and seek some advice.

My basic recipe started with stuffing of pure cream cheese, but I quickly learned that at least for me, mixing in longhorn cheese made the mixture lighter and better tasting.

I simply cut the jalapenos in half, put in the half and half cream cheese/cheddar mixture and then wrapped with a slice of bacon held in place with a toothpick.

Then I ate some similar ones in a restaurant where the jalapenos were put back together and then wrapped tight with bacon, omitting the toothpick. The results were visually stunning, though the taste wasn't as good as the ones I make at home.

I started making the whole jalapenos wrapped in bacon, but they typically seem hotter, even though I pick out all the seeds. Maybe I just need to cook it longer? How can I consistenly find milder jalapenos? The folks in my family don't like 'em when they cause a little pain.

2. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

3. georgecostanza

georgecostanza NBHorn7’s Protégé

I believe I've also heard somewhere that cooking them longer does actually cause them to be milder. I guess the acid cooks out or something.

4. Bye Week

Bye Week 250+ Posts

I too have spent a lot of time on perfecting the ultimate stuffed jalapeno, and my version is now a family favorite and a required appetizer at parties and holidays. I halve the jalapenos lengthwise and remove the veins and seeds. Then I brown 6 ounces of regular (not sage) breakfast sausage (half of a small tube),turn off heat and let it cool for a couple of minutes, and then add 2 boxes of cream cheese and stir until well mixed. Spoon this mixture into the jalapeno halves, and top each with a half of a piece of bacon (I microwave the bacon for a minute or so first, so that it crisps up well in the oven instead of still being raw when the peppers are done). Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until peppers are getting soft but still retain enough crispness to hold the filling and not get limp. It is true that the longer the peppers cook, the milder they will typically be. I hope you try this variation and like it as much as we do!

5. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

I used to prep wild game with a buttermilk soak overnight to remove some of the oily/game-y flavor, and it seems to help a bit with pulling some of the oil from the jalapeno temps as well. Cut, remove seeds/veins, soak in buttermilk (or even 2%), then wash and go forward with stuffing.

I picked up a cool jalapeno coring tool at Central Market last year. Look for one if you're there soon. It's a thin, flexible blade, curled like a pigtail, and does the work that a butterknife can do, but in seconds.

I always overstuff jalapenos, and end up with huge messes, or flare ups if on the grill.

6. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Good advice Michtex and Constanza. Jalapenos are well-cooked, de-veined and mild. I was going to try Bye Week's advice, but my wife put the pork sausage in the queso. But hey, I'm a Cowboys fan, There is always next time.

7. brwhorn

brwhorn 100+ Posts

mix some fresh garlic with the cream cheese, add some of those little pre-cooked salad shrimp. wrap with bacon and grill on the big green egg. yummy! [​IMG]

8. Bye Week

Bye Week 250+ Posts

Brwhorn--that sounds awesome and i will be trying that the next time I get the Egg fired up. My wife laughed at me when she read my post about the sausage/cream cheese mixture, reminding me that I got the idea from Rusty's Grill a few years ago!