Stupid electrician...

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by bub, Apr 23, 2004.

1. bub

bub 100+ Posts

Left the dryer plug in while rewiring the electrical box. What part would a surge kill? The terminal? The on switch? The door switch?

2. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

dude, I always understand, and often agree with your posts. But right now I have no ******* idea what you are talking about.

Care to rephrase?

3. digitalhorn

digitalhorn 100+ Posts

Bub,

Do you mean you left the dryer plugged in and in the "on" position while rewiring, then creating a surge when you powered up everything...then blew something out?

4. bub

bub 100+ Posts

He switched the main switch on the outside box on while the dryer was plugged in. The rest of the house was unplugged. Surged it pretty hard. Blew something. Dryer doesn't work now. What would blow? I understand that I write in choppy sentences.

5. digitalhorn

digitalhorn 100+ Posts

I'm not an electrician...but having burned my fingers with a soldering iron enough...perhaps the dryer switch or a relay switch in the dryer...they can only handle so much surge..and if everything else was unplugged..that should rule those out. I'm assuming you have breakers and not fuses..check the breaker switch for the dryer..that might help you narrow it down a bit...and I'm assuming that everything else works fine in the house...

6. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

Dryer on a GFCI?

7. hollisdude

hollisdude 500+ Posts

This is irrelevant probably, but how does turning on the power to a re-wired box cause a surge through the wiring in the house? Isn't that what the breakers are for - to prevent just that very thing? Shouldn't the 30amp breaker have tripped first? Just curious.

8. bub

bub 100+ Posts

I don't know, but I believe they were testing their handiwork.

9. hollisdude

hollisdude 500+ Posts

I gotcha. But - that is a bad way to test without breakers in between.

10. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

a) Check all breakers, maybe there's a box in the garage where one tripped.
    b) See if there is power at the plug.
    c) See if there is a red reset button on the back of the dryer.
    d) Buy new dryer, send bill to electricians.