Sunday's game: Texas vs Florida State @ 11:30 AM

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Dec 15, 2017.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

#8/8 Texas (8-1) will host #12/10 Florida State (10-0) Sunday. Texas leads the series 2-0. It is a series that started a long time ago, back on Feb. 24, 1984. Texas won that game 89-43. Last season’s follow-up game, 33 years later, was a double overtime thriller pulled out by Texas 92-88. Both teams will be looking for their first signature win of the season. Texas’ best wins have been over LSU, Washington and Georgia. For FSU, their best wins to date have been over Florida, Iowa and Arizona State. Texas’ first shot at a signature win ended up as a loss to Tennessee. FSU is undefeated coming into this game.

FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES
    Two ex-Big 12 players will be on the court for the Seminoles this Sunday. AJ Alix graduated from TCU and is a graduate transfer and starter at FSU. Imani Wright transferred in from Baylor and a starter as well.

The Seminoles are led by All American forward Shakayla Thomas (#20, 5-11 Sr. F) in scoring (20.6 ppg). Imani Wright (#32, 5-9 RS Sr. G) backs her up with 16.2 ppg. AJ Alix (#4, 5-6 Grad. G) is the third player in double digits at 13.3 ppg. Completing the quartet of double digits scorers is Nicki Ekhomu (#12, 5-9 Soph. G) who contributes 11.0 ppg. Nausia Woolfolk (#13, 5-9 Soph. G) just misses making that a quintet with an average of 9.7 ppg. 29% of their shots are threes. The big guns from BTA are Wright (32-84, 38.1%) and Alix (26-58, 44.8%). The only others have taken at least 10 treys for the season are Woolfolk (6-25, 24.0%) and Chatrice White (#50, 6-3 Sr. C) who has hit 20.0% from BTA (4-20). The main seven players on the rotation get to the FT line an average of 1.5 to 4.3 times. Ekhomu leads the team in FTs made, attempted and FT% (37-43, 86.0%). White is second in all three categories (27-33, 81.8%). Thomas is at 66.7% on 20 of 30 FTs. Woolfolk is third on the team in FT% at 75.0%. As a team, the Seminoles hit a good 73.2% of their FTs.

Florida State’s dominance on the boards is provided primarily by five players: White (8.1 rpg), Thomas (7.8 rpg), Ekhomu and Ama Degbeon (#25, 6-2 Sr. C), both at 6.4 rpg and Woolfolk (5.8 rpg). Alix is averaging 7.7 apg while Ekhomu adds 3.3 apg and Wright hands out 2.8 apg. White is the top shot blocker at 1.5 bpg with Degbeon averaging 0.8 bpg. Alix (2.4 spg), Woolfolk (1.7 spg) and Ekhomu (1.0 spg) provide 61% of FSU’s steals per game.

There are eleven players on FSU’s roster. Ten are active as Kiah Gillespie, a 6-2 RS Soph. is sitting after transferring from Maryland. Only frosh Sayawni Lassiter (#3,5-1 Fr. G) has yet to play this season. Of the remaining nine, seven are averaging between 23.1 mpg (White) and 30.7 mpg (Wright). Savannah Wilkinson (#31, 5-11 Fr. G) has gotten into nine games and averages 9.4 mpg while Iho Lopez (#11, 6-2 RS Fr. F) has seen action in seven games and averages 9.7 mpg.

Thomas, Wright and Alix have started all ten games while White and Degbeon have started nine of ten. Nkhomu has the other two starts. Woolfolk has played in nine games.

TEXAS LONGHORNS
    The Horns also have four players in double figures: Ariel (14.2 ppg), Brooke (12.8 ppg), Jatarie (11.8 ppg) and LaShann (11.4 ppg). Horns’ shots from BTA make up 26% of their total shots. Brooke (15-37, 40.5%) continues to be the main threat from BTA. Ariel (14-25, 56.0%) is the best shooter from BTA. Alecia (9-21, 42.9%), Audrey-Ann (4-11, 36.4%) and LaShann (4-12, 33.3%) are other threats from three point land. Texas is making 67.9% from the FT line. The three players that Texas wants on the FT line are Brooke (13-14, 92.9%), Ariel (18-21, 85.7%) and LaShann (23-30, 76.7%). They are the only players over 70% from the FT line. LaShann leads in FTs made and attempted.

On the boards, the Horns are led by a quartet of players: Rellah (5.8 rpg), Audrey-Ann (5.3 rpg), Jatarie (5.2 rpg) and Ariel (4.9 rpg). Brooke averages 4.6 apg. Ariel adds 3.7 apg. Alecia averages 2.8 ppg. LaShann contributes 2.7 apg. Texas assists on 55% of FGs made during a game. Ariel, with nine blocks, is the leading shot blocker for Texas. Audrey-Ann is next with six blocks. Ariel leads three Horns with double digit steals with 24 (2.7 spg). Brooke has 18 steals (2.3 spg) while Audrey-Ann is the only other player with double digit steals with 13 (1.4 spg). LaShann and Alecia have a chance to reach double digits in steals as each currently has nine.

Alecia started her first game versus Northwestern State as Brooke sat out with minor hip soreness. She is expected to play against Florida State. Ariel, LaShann and Audrey-Ann are now the only players to start all nine games. Brooke (27.6 mpg), Ariel (22.9 mpg) and Alecia (21.3 mpg) are the three players averaging at least 20 mpg. The other ten all average over 10 minutes a game although Khaléann is likely to miss game # 5 with an ankle injury.

LINEUPS
    Projected starting lineups are based on the last game played. I am going to bend that a bit here and project Brooke to start this game as she is supposed to be available for this game. Although later news stories have moved more towards her being questionable for this game.
    upload_2017-12-15_17-7-43.png

Thomas and Wright are the only two players that started in last year’s game. Thomas had 23 pts to lead FSU but took 34 shots to get those points. For Texas, Brooke and Ariel also are the only two players that started that game. They scored 29 and 21 pts, respectively.

Once again, Thomas, Wright, Ariel and Brooke will be key players in this game. FSU will be bolstered by Alix, Degbeon and White while Texas will look to LaShann, Audrey-Ann and Jatarie to boost the Horns. Thomas, Degbeon and White will test the Horns inside and help provide a strong challenge on the boards. Brooke will face another ex-Big 12 PG in Alix. Last season it was Leticia Romero, who transferred to FSU from Kansas State.

It would seem that Thomas and Ariel will face off in this game. LaShann should be guarding Wright. White is big and strong. I am curious to see if Audrey-Ann or Jatarie will start off on her. Texas’ interior defense will be tested as FSU likes to penetrate and their guards finish very well. They are also excellent 3pt shooters so our guards can’t back off them on defense. FSU had no answer for Brooke in the last game as she drained five of eight 3pters. Will she get the opportunity to try to recreate that type of shooting Sunday? And will FSU be any more successful in stopping her?

upload_2017-12-15_17-12-49.png
    upload_2017-12-15_17-14-44.png
    upload_2017-12-15_17-17-6.png

These are two teams that like to flow up and down the court. The teams mirror each other in many ways. Certainly, this game is a tossup. FSU appears to be stronger inside with the ability of Thomas, White and Degbeon to rebound and score. Certainly, Alix, Wright and Ekhomu can match the firepower of the Texas backcourt. Neither team appears likely to shut down the middle to penetrators. Brooke’s ability to hit from BTA will be critical if she plays. Her absence would allow FSU to focus on stopping Ariel’s shooting from BTA.

FSU is slightly stronger finishing the game but Texas is slightly stronger starting the game. We will see which prevails.

Being a homer, I am expecting a Texas win. But I am realistic enough to know that a loss would not be unexpected.

Game time is 11:30 AM on Fox Sports 1. Probably moved from the original time of 1 PM for TV purposes.

http://www.texassports.com/news/2017/12/12/womens-basketball-hosts-no-12-florida-state-sunday.aspx
    http://seminoles.com/top-10-road-matchup-next-up-for-noles/

• Like Like x 4
  2. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

http://seminoles.com/no-12-10-womens-hoops-heads-to-no-8-texas/

http://www.texassports.com/news/2017/12/15/no-8-womens-basketball-preview-no-12-florida-state.aspx

Well, might be a bit shorthanded and may really need those frosh to step up. I would prefer to rest Brooke for the Big 12 games, regardless of the outcome of this game.

http://www.hookemplus.com/story/injury-saddled-texas-women-host-florida-state-final-big-12-tuneup/

3. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Oh no. Well, I agree that if Brooke isn't 100%, she shouldn't play. Hope the freshmen are ready to play. And I'll admit I wanted to see them play more. Well, here's their opportunity.

4. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

and against a quality opponent. Hope see they get a lot of minutes in support of the starters and others.

5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Brooke getting the start.

6. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Higgs was kind of dominating the game until she went to the bench for a long time. Hope Ariel's shots will start falling. Good game so far.

• Like Like x 2
  7. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Decent first half. Defensively Texas’ guards have to do a better job of fighting and getting over the ball screens and the post player have to do a better job of hedging the ball screens.

Offensively Texas has to have better shot selection. Sug needs to be in the game as much as possible. Jatarie needs to step it up and stay out of foul trouble because when the game slows down like it did in the second quarter they need a post player that can score in the post.

8. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Completely different team than 7 days ago. Best job setting screens I can remember and everyone crashed the boards relentlessly.

Really hope Audrey-Ann is okay - those were some rough shots she took.

• Like Like x 8
  9. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Great job by Jatarie stepping up!

• Like Like x 3
  10. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Great job overall. Really happy with the effort, and of course, the win. You could tell this team needed something good to feel positive about after last week's performance in Knoxville.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Damn I love Ariel and Brooke! I may go crazy not being able to see them on the court for the Longhorns next year. And what a difference Rellah made. To think what might have been at Tenn. One things for sure, she's not going to miss gimmies standing right under the basket along with some big rebounds that were crucial.

• Like Like x 8
  12. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Yeah, Rellah has become my favorite. She has such confidence around the hoop, whether fighting for a rebound or driving in for a shot.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Rellah has amazing hands, and knows how to finish under the basket. While she may need to work on her conditioning to become the type of player she wants, she is an immovable force in the paint, a great rebounder, and today she showed off her passing abilities and hoops IQ.

• Like Like x 9
  14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  15. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Good team win. Glad to see R.Boothe is getting playing time. She can really make Texas tough in the Post.
    Hookem'

• Like Like x 6
  16. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Today, truly Brooke was "Bad to the Bun", very appropriate t-shirt giveaway
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  17. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

looks like the replay is today at 6 PM on Fox College Sports Atlantic (Spectrum 373).

18. BrewComLey

BrewComLey < 25 Posts

Maybe before too long we'll start to hear the cheer of Booooooooooth whenever Rellah does something positive.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

Texas scored 19 more points today against #12 FSU than they did Wed against Northwestern State. Let that sink in. I was so worried about this team when I saw them play on Wed. I need not have worried.

• Like Like x 4
  20. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I tried that today but those around me didn't catch on.:idk:

• Like Like x 1
  21. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

By the numbers Booth seems the be the better choice over AA although I like AA a great deal. Nice to hear Karen admit that she should have gone to her freshman during the Tenn game. So I wonder where our other two Freshman were today. Neither got minutes.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

While we have started all but one game with Audrey-Anne and Jatarie together in the frontcourt, I do think it's just a matter of time before one backs up the other at Center, and we go with Joyner and Rellah at Power Forward.

• Like Like x 3
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Based on Underwood's performance on Wednesday, I thought she'd for sure get some minutes today; her mid-range jumper has been very effective.

• Like Like x 1
  24. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Agree. Odd she got zero minutes today

25. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Eventually Boothe will be a big part of this team’s success this year. The announcers see it too. Their comment that “ you can’t take your eyes off her” to me validates somewhat that she has skills no one else on this team has. She is a match-up nightmare if she starts to hit a few of her outside shots. She has no conscious from a shooting perspective. I don’t think Aston can reign her in on that. She can shoot you into the game or out of the game. She is quick inside, has a nose for the ball, strong and scores fluidly. She needs at least 10 minutes a game and right now that is about all her conditioning will allow. At some point in the season, she will break out and really help the team.

• Like Like x 6
  26. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

When you beat a good team like Florida St. by 15 points I don’t think it really matters who played and didn’t play.

• Like Like x 1
  27. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

T
    True, but we don’t have a deep bench if we don’t go deep into our bench. That is why I was somewhat heartened when Karen admitted she should have taken a chance with the Freshmen during the Tenn game.

I guess it’s a good problem to have or maybe it’s not even a problem at all. You won’t see me asking Karen to slow up on her recruiting. :hookem:

• Like Like x 4