Super 24 Conference

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by jackden, May 15, 2010.

1. jackden

jackden 100+ Posts

OK, another scheme for discussion. This is an easy one: Big 12 + Pac 10 +2 ¡­ Everyone gets more TV money and the deal should keep MU and NU from defecting to Big 10 (no bitter divorce or painful transition).East DivisionSE subdivision
    Texas
    Texas A&M
    OU
    Ok State
    Texas Tech
    Baylor

NE subdivision

Kansas
    KSU
    Nebraska
    Colorado
    ISU
    Missouri

West Division

SW Subdivision

USC
    UCLA
    Arizona
    Arizona State
    Utah
    BYU

NW Subdivision

Stanford
    Cal
    Oregon
    Oregon State
    Washington
    Washington State

Every team plays 5 games (subdivision) + 3 games (the other subdivision in the same division) +2 games (the other division) + 2 non-conference games =12 games + 2 more possible games (conference champion and bowl)

2. Longhorny630

Longhorny630 1,000+ Posts

how about a super 130 where the team that wins a playoff of the best 8 or so is the champion.

3. Dr_Bob_Rio

Dr_Bob_Rio 250+ Posts

Expecting Cal (and a few others) to admit BYU to the Pac 10(+2) is like expecting Baylor to invite Eastern Islam U to a Bar Mitz-vah.

4. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Except the power in that split is so unevenly divided in football.

5. jackden

jackden 100+ Posts

Or, each teach plays 5 intra-subdivision games + 6 inter-subdivision games (2 for every other subdivision) + 1 non-conference game =12 regular games. With 3-year rotation, every team plays any other team at least once in a 3-year span.

Each team travels to the other division only twice a year (and hosts two teams as well), so travel cost should not be an issue; even Baylor can afford this kind of travel (living-in-nowhere MU would be very happy to travel to west coast twice a year, win or lose).

Total inter-division games every year: 4*12 =48
    Big deal! very attractive for TV broadcasting (almost covering half of the national TV audience).

6. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

7. everette

everette 250+ Posts

Sounds good. Have 130 team conference. All the coaches vote to see who gets to play Texas for the NC.

E

8. Wasatch Horn

Wasatch Horn 250+ Posts

dump baylor and add UNLV, free money by adding the Las Vegas market.

9. 3ball

3ball 250+ Posts

I like the Super 24 idea, because it's really the Big 12 but with 2 guaranteed games against the Pac 10. I would like to see some changes though. I say screw Missouri and give ISU the boot and realign like this:

East Division

SE subdivision
    Texas
    Texas A&M
    OU
    Ok State
    Texas Tech
    Baylor

NE subdivision
    Kansas
    KSU
    Nebraska
    Colorado
    BYU
    Utah

West Division

SW Subdivision
    USC
    UCLA
    Arizona
    Arizona State
    Cal
    Stanford

NW Subdivision
    Nevada
    Boise State
    Oregon
    Oregon State
    Washington
    Washington State

Nevada, Utah, and Boise State would immediately start to recruit a lot better, and therefore could be good additions. UNLV wouldn't be added b/c of the gambling. I think this would also make Nebraska want to stay.

I think it would make the season a lot more interesting and the conference would get a ton of national attention. The problem is that two of the divisions are absolutely brutal, and two are just above average. I'd hate to see Boise State and BYU in the championship game b/c all the good teams beat themselves up in their subconference.

10. gobears92

gobears92 Guest