Sure Quiet

Discussion in 'Softball' started by flash34, Feb 19, 2018.

1. longhorn47

longhorn47 100+ Posts

Lost to Texas State again today. CDC, please bring Cat Osterman home! Way past time for Connie to go!!

2. flash34

flash34 250+ Posts

Regarding recruiting.....in today’s Dallas Morning News, there was information on all (softball, tennis, WBB, MBB, GOLF, Etc) recent sport signings. Almost all were for very small directional schools. Imbedded was a softball signing from Denton Guyer to Texas. Really looked out of place. I then noticed a significant article on signings with the lead part on this player. She is a catcher/third baseman from Denton Guyer. She had been anxious as most of the players she,had,been playing with and against had long since signed. Mentioned that a significant number committed as freshmen/sophomores. Her choices were Texas, Creighton and some other very small school. This player may be good but based on what I read, it gave me the feeling that Clark is scrambling late in the game to fill out roster. Texas should be getting these early commits and not have to scramble.

3. racerx5908

racerx5908 500+ Posts

Well, this may make sense in a way.

Google tells me that there are 12 scholarships allotted for Division 1.
    https://www.collegesportsscholarships.com/softball.htm

We have 18 players on the roster at this time. So, some may split scholarships and some maybe walkons.

Then, Texas in the Fall signing period signed 2 players:
    http://texassports.com/news/2017/11...-its-2018-19-signing-class.aspx?path=softball
    A pitcher(!!!!) and an IF.

But, Erica Wright did recently announce that she is not returning next year, even though she still has a year. So....that may have opened up one new scholarship for Connie - hence this recent Spring semester signing of the catcher from Guyer.

Also, Connie's always had a recruiting philosophy of having a Junior/Freshman catcher pairing, which makes sense since Taylor will be a Junior this Fall. Technically Regan Hathaway is listed as a catcher/OF....but who knows if and when she'll ever return.

4. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 5,000+ Posts

In most non-football/basketball sports it is rare for a full ride as the number of scholarships is limited.

5. racerx5908

racerx5908 500+ Posts

Arizona with 22 (!) players.
    [​IMG]

6. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Just channel flipping and I was watching some Big 10 softball. Striking difference in the body composition of Michigan players vs. Texas players.... I'm guessing our players average 20-30 pounds heavier. I wonder if it's a difference in recruiting, style of play or nutrition/conditioning?

7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 2,500+ Posts

Last years BigTen MVP was a petite young lady from Manvel

8. racerx5908

racerx5908 500+ Posts

Once again, in the name of LHN, the game 4/17 with Baylor is scheduled at 4:30. I was going to write an outraged letter to Del Conte, but then I looked at the baseball schedule. They have a game at 7:00 with UTRGV. So of course, their logic was that they set the softball team up at 4:30 so they wouldn't be in competition with the men's broadcast at 7:00.

They're pretty good at hiding empty bleachers on the broadcast.

Makes my 4 season tickets worthless. Not renewing.

9. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life 2,500+ Posts

EXACTLY why I didnt get season tix. As I mentioned in another post, they didnt even respond when i questioned game times when they were asking for my money before times were posted. Tisk tisk.....

Is anyone excited about our record? Seems like we havent played more than one good team in like 15 or more games. Texas sports is all excited about our 7-0 conference start, but Kansas, ISU and Tech have a combined 2-24 conference record as of today. I guess we're beating the teams we should.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  10. Vol Horn 4 Life

LOL, we play a ranked team and lose 3-0....Baylor. I predict we lose 6 or 7 of our final 11 games and everyone (in the UT circles) is going to wonder what happened. We have three with OSU, three with OU and two more with Baylor. We may lose them all, but surely we'll get a lucky break or two somewhere along the way.

That would leave us at 30-23 or 31-22, we'll make the tourney, get an appropriate seed and get knocked out in the first round.....again.

11. Vol Horn 4 Life

Lost 2 of 3 against OSU as expected and should beat Texas Southern. Unless a miracle happens they'll get swept by trailer trash U leaving us 1-7 in our last 8 games against ranked teams.

This is totally embarrassing and need a new coach who can compete and not just beat bad teams.