Sweden ousts its left wing government

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Mr. Deez, Sep 15, 2022.

1. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Pretty big news over here. Link. And the traditional conservative party actually lost seats. However, a nationalist party gained enough seats to flip control away from the social democrats.

2. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

What are the major differences between conservative party and nationalist party?

3. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

It's similar between RINOs and the Populists.

4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

But the left wing is out of power?

5. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I think Horn Fans should remain neutral on this.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

mc
    I was just trying to learn what differences there were between the 2 right leaning parties

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Garmel isn't totally wrong, and there are definite similarities. The Swedish Riksdag is elected by a proportional representation system, so there's far less reason for different interests to stay in the same party.

Your so-called center-right parties (such as the Moderates in Sweden or Christian Democratic Union in Germany) tend to be business-friendly when it comes to taxes and regulation, at least reasonably favorable to the EU, and solidly pro-NATO (usually more so than their center-left counterparts). They tend to be split on social issues but try to avoid emphasizing them and focus on the economic areas where there's solid agreement. They're generally ok with immigration for economic reasons (though there's often some dssent on that), but they will call out immigrants who are unproductive, crap on their culture, or back terrorism.

Right wing populist parties (like the Sweden Democrats or Alternative for Germany) tend to be business-friendly but less so than their center-right parties and tend to be less hostile to the welfare state. (For example, I remember Nigel Farage being somewhat sympathetic to Greece when we met with him and considered the forced austerity a bit harsh.) They are Eurosceptic to varying degrees (from EU reformers to full exiters). There's usually division on NATO. Some are solidly pro-NATO. Others are NATO sceptics, and a few go all the way in the opposite direction and support Russia. They are usually socially conservative (with some dissent). They're unifying issue is usually immigration with crime and cultural preservation often related issues.

At one time, the Sweden Democrats bordered on Nazism, but they've softened a lot in the last 30 or so years and are now pretty moderate compared to other right-leaning populist parties. As much as the media frames them as radical, I wouldn't consider them particularly militant.

8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

The problem with Greece was that they spent as if they had their own currency when in fact they didn’t.

9. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

This surprises me
    "Right wing populist parties (like the Sweden Democrats or Alternative for Germany) tend to be business-friendly but less so than their center-right parties and tend to be less hostile to the welfare state. "

10. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Think lower educated folks who need a helping hand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I agree, and I was surprised to hear him take up for the Greeks. I think what bothered him is that the bailout was framed as a bailout of Greece when it was actually bailout of German banks. And of course, they crapped on Greece's sovereignty to force the austerity.

12. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Bond holders and insurance companies have the real power in the world, not governments.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Remember, much of it is working class and even working poor. They like welfare. They just don't want it going to immigrants. Remember who voted for Brexit. Most were conservatives, but a big minority of them were Labour voters who got screwed when the party did what the Democratic Party in the US did (screw over the poor to appeal to secular, woke, white voters with money).

14. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

That I understand. With the influx of migrants who do get welfare I wondered

15. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Understandable. I was just making the distinction. Some people oppose welfare as a matter of principle and in general. Most of us fit in that mold. Many national populists oppose immigrants getting welfare but aren't opposed to in general. For example, the Sweden Democrats have made it clear that they basically support the Nordic welfare model that currently exists on Sweden. In fact, a big reason they oppose high levels of immigration is that they think immigration jeopardizes it.

16. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

It's this and the trade protectionism that scares me since they are standard policies of fascist regimes.

17. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

THAT is for the Swiss, not the Swedes...the Swedes have the smoking hot ski team.

And yes, the Swiss do have that hot chocolate gal, but you want one or a team? Asking for friends...

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

Is this the country with the cute chick leader who like to party?

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Tariffs and duties are consumption taxes, which conservatives normally prefer over income taxes.

20. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

No, Finland. The real party animals.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  21. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Yes. But that is only if one substitutes for the other. I would be removing income taxes and replacing with sales, tariffs, and other consumption taxes. But these are guys are talking about adding them on top of income and corporate taxes.

22. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Agnetha in her prime approached physical perfection (other than that little gap in her teeth). Bjorn was one lucky man.

Sweden strikes me as the land of beautiful people.

23. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

The chick from ABBA? She was ok. It's a little like Farrah Fawcett. A lot of dudes like any girl who's blonde and skinny, and that pretty much defines Swedish chicks. I think you get more with chicks from Central to Eastern Europe (Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, etc.). Still pretty, but more brunettes, and they aren't built like 14 year old boys. They aren't overweight, but they're bustier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Ummmmmm

Agnetha at her prime was busty and classically beautiful. She wasn’t fat though. More of a Marilyn Monroe type, or other 1940s-early 1960s model type than a 1990s too skinny model type. Not a Farrah Fawcett type. Tall. Long legs. Bjorn won the Swedish wife lottery.

Her fellow ABBA female band mate was supposedly the product of a Nazi breeding experiment in occupied Norway, involving SS and Wehrmacht men and Norwegian women. And get this—some German Prince married her (the girl with the Nazi father)…. Yet Agnetha was the blond one, so go figure…

Every Swedish person I’ve met has been tall and blond. I’m sure there are exceptions. Anyone whose last name ends in “quist” is a meatball-eater.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2022
  25. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

People can have different opinions of what constitutes "bustiness," but Agnetha was at best a small B cup. That doesn't cut it. I'm not be saying women that small or smaller can't be pretty or sexy. They certainly can be, and I'd never reject a woman for that reason. However, I wouldn't call them busty.

So who would be busty?

[​IMG]

26. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

There’s a limit to how far to the right or left the pendulum can swing—provided that elections are fair and honest.

Sounds like the left overreached up there. People can only put up with so much insanity.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Oh yeah, Swedes also like cheap furniture in natural wood tones.

…and cute, sporty little cars with the ignition in between the driver’s seat and the front passenger’s seat.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

So what is a Swedish "Right Wing" government going to look like? And don't start posting a bunch of pictures of blond people, I mean, what are they going to do?

Mobilize an army and march on Finland?
    Mandatory dogmatic religious instruction in the public schools?
    Make the welfare state only for native born bloodline Swedes?
    Burn some books and censor opinions?
    Make Volvo build really huge SUVs?
    Force Muslims to register with the state?
    Add some more patriotic holidays?
    Expel some leftist professors?
    Beat up some leftists?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
  29. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Sounds like a good start!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  30. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

To be clear, they didn't install a right-wing government. They ousted the left-wing government. The current government is a coalition of center-right parties and the nationalist conservative Sweden Democrats, so it's not doing anything particularly radical.

Lol. Probably not much of this.

• Agree Agree x 1