Sweet 16: Texas vs UCLA

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

It wasn't pretty, and it wasn't easy, but this team played so hard and came through with a gut-check win to advance Texas to the Elite 8 for the first time since 2003. It is another milestone for Coach Aston and her program, and it's a reward for her hard work.

Like everyone else, I wish we weren't in UConn's region. But, being in South Carolina or Notre Dame's region wouldn't have guaranteed the same 7/10 teams which were sent to Austin; it could have been Tennessee or Washington, and both those teams are playing their best basketball and in the Elite 8, as well. Or, it could have meant having to play #3 Kentucky on their home court.

This is huge statement for all those recruits considering Texas; it lets them know that we are capitalizing on the talent we are signing, and making strides each season. So, while OU and A&M are bowing out in the second round, we are "elite" again after all these years.

• Like Like x 9
  2. TagHorns

TagHorns 250+ Posts

Watching the Baylor game. At halftime they talked with Nina Davis....... Didn't understand one word she was saying. FSU played them ok at first but Baylor slowly pulling away. Friend of mine from FSU stated they (Baylor) was a dirty team. Both teams bloody and scratched up. Welcome to our world!

• Like Like x 5
  3. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

Great effort and comeback, ladies!!! Loved your 2nd half play, Imari. Great rebounding.....clutch put-backs! Ariel and Higgs came through in a big way in the 2nd half...thus a date with UConn.......Enjoy the win, and enjoy the next game. You can prove worthy of far better than the last of the #2 seeds.
    Hook'Em!

• Like Like x 1
  4. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

well, without Sara's contribution, the way Imani and Kelsey were playing in the first half, it's likely neither would have been around in the second half to help lead Texas to the win. So, yeah, Sara was a big part of this, not in pts scored or rebs, but in allowing Coach Aston some critical minutes to help Imani get her head back in the game.

• Like Like x 4
  5. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

6. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

Yep~ Sara fillled in and gave some minutes....glad she got to do that. Next year, she'll have gotten her feet wet and, hopefully, a feel for the game. Switching back to basketball from volleyball is not easy. I like the way she gives such positive enthusiasm...that's a big plus.

7. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

:hookem::hookem::hookem: Woooooohoooooo - so proud !!!

Way to go Lady Horns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yippee:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  8. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

:hookem2:Outstanding job!

9. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Barely walking back your comments with backhanded compliments. Sara served a need in the first half with providing a big body and keeping Imani & Lang from starting the 3rd with 3 (or more fouls). Glad Coach Aston makes those decisions. But too bad you felt the need to trash a player for her contribution.

• Like Like x 1
  10. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Actually, NO, the coach did not see what you saw. The situation in the 2nd half did not call for Sara to be on the court. You might want to stick to your day job which can't possibly be coaching basketball (successfully at least).

• Like Like x 1
  11. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

To step back and look at what Coach Aston has accomplished is what it is all about. Class. Grace. Dignity. You may want to questions her decisions if you feel you must, but do not question whether this is the RIGHT coach, at the RIGHT time for this team. Yes the Sea Hag 90 miles north has some banners, but who do YOU want representing this University, this program and these young women? I don't know about you, but I would not trade. And that my friends, is why.........

.........WE'RE TEXAS! :hookem2:

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  12. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

Sorry if I offended her or you.....I tried to be courteous. I'm sure she's a nice person...she, obviously, has a great attitude and love for the game. She just hasn't transitioned from one sport to another yet. She'll get there...and I say that because I can see she has a really good attitude. Fyi: She played 4 minutes, and gave our 2 posts a nice little break.

13. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

Far from "trashing." Perhaps you should re-read my post. I think the dear girl has a great attitude and tries very hard. Just because she's not transitioned fully from volleyball to basketball is not "trashing" a player. Actually, I LOVE the attitude she exudes, whether it's on the bench or on the court. I'll try not to say something that would make you think i'm "trashing" a player in the future, however.
    In reading today's posts from others, I've only found 38 that would fall into the category of "trashing" players--- by your standards. I don't think those other 38 people intended to "trash" any of our gals. We love'em....and we're proud of'em. Sometimes, we, as fans, just post what we see (or think we see)....
    And I REALLY DO like Sara's attitude and demure on and off the court. She seems like a really nice person intent on getting back to a game she loves, basketball.
    Hook'Em!

14. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

#BELIEVE :hookem:

• Like Like x 5
  15. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

Terrific team win. I love the confidence and poise we showed at the outset of the 4th. And to take that next step, and to get to the Elite 8, such a difficult thing to keep improving, and going farther every season for four consecutive years....so impressive. But we're not done yet!

• Like Like x 3
  16. orangeblack&gold

orangeblack&gold 500+ Posts

Congrats to our Team for making the Elite 8. Tough game to get to the Final 4, but at least we are in the arena.

Hook 'em!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

It seems odd to me that so little has been said about Brook McCarty in the win over UCLA. She played her usual impeccable floor game and she was the player mainly responsible for actually keeping us in the contest in the first half. McCarty is now the most interesting U.T. player to watch. This season she's evolved from a mainly three point shooter to a genuine scorer off the drive. More than one rival coach has said she can't be contained off the dribble. I love the fascinating variety of little floaters which she uses to loft the ball over bigger defender out stretched hands. The hallmark of McCarty drives is that most of the time she never reaches the basket but releases the ball 3-4 feet away. In the UCLA game she even scored on a semi hook shot from about seven feet away. She hasn't gotten much national publicity yet but people are beginning to catch on...as the Missouri coach said, "she's what makes them go." That's why she plays more minutes than anybody on the team. People were worried her lack of height might make her a defensive liability, but that hasn't seemed to be an issue this year. On offense she's becoming one of the best point guards in the game.

• Like Like x 9
  18. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Dr. D, I'm glad you wrote this. Expresses exactly how I feel. Brooke is the player I look most forward to watching and I believe is our most consistent. Those drives of hers this year are amazing, the impeccable floaters, the various spins she puts on the ball, along with her 3 point accuracy. Doris Burke was all about Ariel (the press in general, I think.) Of course, I love Ariel's game, too. And Imani's, which we are going to miss painfully. Those rebounds alone...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

It's amazing to watch Brooke evolve into this whirling dirvish little tornado driving to the bucket and hitting those floaters. At the beginning of the year, I had said to my best friend and historian of the womens' game that if Brooke could be more aggressive and attack the rim, develop a more potent pull up midrange game, etc., that no one could guard her. She reminds me of Andrea Riley of OSU, but way more under control and a way better shooter. She has done that and THEN SOME. She has become a more complete player all around. If you look at these teams going to the Final Four.....Washington, Syracuse, etc., they are ALL able to SPREAD THE FLOOR with shooters at every position. We will have that next year. The Caron-Gadreau twins are lethal 3 point shooters, then you add Joyner Holmes to the mix who is a BEAST and as quick as about any guard we have down the floor handling the ball. This will create even more opportunities for Brooke, Ariel, LaShann, Joyner, etc, to take people off the bounce and attack the rim or pull up from mid-range. And that doesn't even include Alecia Sutton, who is an incredible player, along with Jada Underwood. Just watching Karen put this thing together piece by piece has been fascinating. It's only going to get better folks!!!!

• Like Like x 3
  20. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Good Job Texas.
    Hookem'

• Like Like x 1