Switching Religions, like switching toothpastes

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by RyanUTAustin, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

2. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

netslave - oh I get it that you just want to help others. i'm not saying you shouldn't want to...but you have to understand the flip-side when people say they wish religious people would not push their RELIGIOUS views on my life.

i can physically show you how credit card debt will screw you. that's real. it's not supernatural.

3. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

4. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

5. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

6. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

7. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

8. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

First of all, I think schools should be able to make up their own mind on what is a disruptive force. If they want to allow one religion to bring in their book, they should allow it for all. If they feel that any religion is a distraction, I think they should be able to restrict that. However, I would think it would need to be a really big distraction to come to the point where we aren't allowing kids to carry a Bible or a Koran. That's just my view on the topic.

9. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

10. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

11. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

In reply to:

12. stabone

stabone 500+ Posts

In reply to:

13. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

14. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

15. RyanUTAustin

RyanUTAustin 1,000+ Posts

16. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

17. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

18. RyanUTAustin

[​IMG] ?

Do you think that without religion we would have started to circumcise boys?

19. RyanUTAustin

20. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

What I mean is that you don't care whether or not someone in particular thinks being gay is wrong, or whether or not a religious body accepts it, as long as they don't try to use those views to make law.

Or maybe you DO want to force the way people THINK about it and what their church does about it....but I'd say you're nuts if you really think you can, or should, do that.

21. sawbonz

sawbonz 500+ Posts

22. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

23. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

24. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

25. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

26. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

27. RyanUTAustin

28. Nivek

Nivek 500+ Posts

Netslave,

1) I do not understand why you were not allowed to carry the Bible at school. Sounds pretty odd to me. As an agnostic, I would probably have brought one too in protest.

2) I do not agree with you about TV programming. I think there are several (hallmark, Disney, PBS, Discovery, History, ect) channels that I am not willing to watch, which are more oriented to family viewing. While I would agree that if had kids I would not want them to see previews for SAW X, I would probably steer clear of the channels and programs where I might be likely to find that stuff. While I can guess this would be a daunting task at first, I imagine it would get easier with time. Personally, I love titties, so seeing more makes me happy. You can always choose not to watch the tity network and I can always choose to watch it when alternating from the Law and Order Network. I am not saying that tits should be on every TV station at all times, I am saying that you have the power to watch programs that cater to your interests while I have the power to watch programs that cater to my interests.

But lets be real here, most TV programs stink and I could care less about watching them. We probably agree that most programs do not cater to our interests, they cater to OU's interests (i.e. sucking).

3) I draw the line at what infringes on the rights of others. I do not support bigger government. Two consenting adults can and should be allowed to do what they will in private. Bestiality is an absurd leap, IMO, because it is not between consenting parties. Polygamy I am not against as long as all parties involved are aware of the situation. I do not think the tax situation should really be any different, as us married folks used to get penalized anyway, and yet we still took the plunge.

29. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

30. RyanUTAustin