Switching Religions, like switching toothpastes

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by RyanUTAustin, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

Yeah, KE just came along and nuked this thread.

2. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

3. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

sure you can, unless you're wanting to re-write the entire tax code. and while that may be a great idea, let's stick with what's realistic.

who does and doesn't have to pay taxes, and why. that's the issue.

4. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

5. UTIceberg

UTIceberg 250+ Posts

Anastasis, what's funny to me is that you and I agree a fair amount on political philosophy, but then KE always manages to point out something I hadn't noticed. Rather, a way of looking at the situation that I hadn't really given enough weight the first time around.

On that note, I think Kyrie is right when he points out that by wanting a "tax-break" in this case, the church (and by extension, its members) are inherently accepting the authority of the "state" over the religion.

The way I think we should look at it is, "Whatever the government does regarding taxing a religion institution or not, we as Christians should be indifferent. To hit a little closer to home, recall when Ron Paul was being interviewed on Meet the Press (I assume you watched the show being the supporter that you are of Paul) and Russert was asking him about tax policy and tax credits. As I recall, Paul said he didn’t support any of the taxes for which the money was collected, but he nonetheless would still claim the tax credit. In the same way, I would say the church doesn’t support the tax but will nonetheless take the credit.

6. stabone

stabone 500+ Posts

7. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

8. Kyrie Eleison

Kyrie Eleison 500+ Posts

I wouldn't go that far, but I would say that the church be given no special treatment over and above any other business enterprise.

Truthfully, what I'd like to see is whether any church would try to incorporate or file a LLC, PC, etc. and which ones would refuse to surrender to Mammon.

With government shekels come government shackles!

9. CTGA_Horn

CTGA_Horn 250+ Posts

correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a fundmamental difference between churches and businesses -- namely that businesses (whatever their structure) have owners to whom profits accumulate while churches do not?

property taxes are a different matter, but taxes on income (profits) are out of the norm when you're taxing an entity where that income is not distributed.

10. utexas_61

utexas_61 500+ Posts

gays are icky

11. grammer_police

grammer_police 25+ Posts

12. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

13. Kyrie Eleison

Kyrie Eleison 500+ Posts

14. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

KE, I re-read your post from yesterday as my mind was too messed up from decoding Javascript problems all day.

I agree with everything you said expect the assumption that if the church does something that the Government allows them to do, that we're in essence making the Government our 'god'.

The way I see it, the Church will continue to do the same work it always has whether or not it's taxed. We don't do the charitable work and social work that we do because the Government gives us a tax break to do them. We do them because we are commanded by our God to do so.

For example, I am a full-time Pastor of Young Adults at my church. I do as many service projects as time allows, as well as mentor young adults through this very tough and confusing time in life. I tithe and give offerings as well but how much financial return do I get on all of this? Nothing. I volunteer. I do it for the love of my God. Are my tithes and offerings tax deductible? Yes, but I have yet been able to claim them on my taxes. Still, I give them.

I believe that the Government, as a whole, is intelligent enough to know a good deal when they see it. I believe they see it as a better return on the dollar to allow churches (in general) to continue to do the good work that they do rather than taxing them and taking the 'good work' wholly upon itself. Just because the Church accepts this tax break doesn't mean that they are turning control over to the Government. I see it as the Government turning over some social control over to the church. (which I understand is why a lot of non-believers have a problem with it)

I'd be interested in your response. Thanks!

[EDIT]I realize that this was already brought up by UTIceberg and Anastasis[/EDIT]

BTW, Ryan, I might take you up on that beer sometime, but if you wouldn't mind, I'll just drink water. [​IMG]

15. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

He probably draws close to $350K at Duke....

Sounds like a lot for a liberal arts professor.

16. grammer_police

grammer_police 25+ Posts

17. Kyrie Eleison

Kyrie Eleison 500+ Posts

18. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

KE, I see your point. I guess my point is in response to this...

19. RyanUTAustin

RyanUTAustin 1,000+ Posts

20. Kyrie Eleison

Kyrie Eleison 500+ Posts

Hell no it ain't immoral!

Look up "Cup of Unction" on wiki or whatever...you'll laugh yer *** off...