Switching Religions, like switching toothpastes

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by RyanUTAustin, Feb 25, 2008.

1. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

AvB and AvNotA:

In AvB, there can be evidence of either A or B. Evidence that A is false does not necessarily make B true. Example:

A: The shirt is red
    B: The shirt is blue

Evidence that the shirt is not red does not mean the shirt is blue.

In AvNotA, there can only be evidence on the TRUE statement (note: not the correct statement, but the true, or positive, statement). Evidence that the "TRUE" statement is false IS evidence that the "NOT TRUE" statement is true. Example:

A: There is a duck on my roof
    NotA: There is not a duck on my roof

Evidence that A is false is also evidence that NotA is true. And, in fact, there is no actual evidence of "NotA"...there is only evidence for or against A. Perhaps you see this as semantics, but it is a pretty big distinction, especially in the context of God.

Please note that in neither case am I discussing a lack of evidence. I agree, sawbonz, that the lack of evidence for a true statement should not lead to a logical deduction that it is in fact false. However, one must ask that if evidence is never given for a positive, at what point can we conclude that "NotA" is in fact the correct position?

The disconnect happens when those who believe in "A: There is a God" will not, and cannot propose of ANY evidence that would show that they are, in fact, incorrect. Thus, nothing is "evidence" to them that A is not true. This is an extremely convenient position to hold.

2. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

3. RyanUTAustin

RyanUTAustin 1,000+ Posts

4. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

5. RyanUTAustin

Netslave I have a question....
    If god created us, and he made humans extra "special."

Then what is the point of the rest of the universe? Why is the universe so immense, why are there 13 dimensions (that we can scientifically prove exist) and many more we are working to uncover.

Why is there such thing as string theory?

Why is the universe so complex if it was built solely for us?

Doesn't it seem like an enormous waste of energy by an otherwise perfect creator?

Is your god to take credit for the thousands of exploding stars, and imploding universes we see in our universe?

6. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

In reply to:

7. Nivek

Nivek 500+ Posts

8. Nivek

Nivek 500+ Posts

Stabone,

One reason I have liked reading your posts is because I share that sentiment.

9. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

netslave....i realize there is a logic problem with only a true/false assertion. re-read my posts.

here's my problem. this is the last time i'll spell this out because it's friday and i'm going to Disneyland.

The existence of God is a AvNotA problem. There is either a god or there is not. We agree on that.

In such a problem, there is either evidence of god or not. There is no "evidence" of the negative, or "no god". It's impossible to "prove" the "NotA" position of this or any other similar problem.

You have said more than once that those who believe in the "NotA" should provide evidence of their position. You have said that in an "A vs B" problem, one should be able to provide evidence of A or B. While true, such is not the case in this instance because this is not an "AvB" problem.

Again, you cannot prove a negative. You can only prove, or disprove, positives.

Does that make any sense? I hope so.

Also, this whole logic game makes little difference if those who believe in "A" are unwilling to see anything as proof that "A" is incorrect.

10. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

11. RyanUTAustin

12. RyanUTAustin

Netslave,
    I think in an earlier post you asked me to clarify my statement that Christian's belief's fundamentally attack science.

I will give you a couple of examples,
    1) The idea that Jesus was born of a virgin
    2) The idea (believed by 59% of American (Gallup) that Jesus will return to earth to judge us.
    This is a claim on physics and Biology because it makes scientific claims about the birth / death of a human and the flight of a human without the aid of technology.

These beliefs, if you hold them, would classify you as a cook in my eyes.

13. RyanUTAustin

Rex, Thank you for your kind words...I enjoy pushing the envelope and hope that it helps people either think differently or harden there beliefs.

14. HornsInTheHouse

HornsInTheHouse 500+ Posts

I think your use of the word "random" is a loaded term because it implies uselessness and insignificance. I think I'm significant while simultaneously believing I am an amalgamation of atoms, molecules, compounds, and so forth. That's what biochemistry is.

15. HornsInTheHouse

HornsInTheHouse 500+ Posts

What does it matter why we exist? What matters is what we do with the world and time we've got.

16. sawbonz

sawbonz 500+ Posts

In reply to:

17. grammer_police

grammer_police 25+ Posts

Re: Johnny & Netslave:

We need to understand the relationships between:

1. Collecting stamps is your hobby.
    2. Collecting stamps is not your hobby.
    3. Not collecting stamps is your hobby.
    4. Not collecting stamps is not your hobby.

1 and 2 are exclusively true. That is, one of them must be true and the other must be false.

It is possible to prove 1 true.
    It is not possible to prove 2 true.
    It is not possible to prove 1 false.
    It is possible to prove 2 false.
    1 true does imply 2 false.
    1 false does not imply 2 true.
    2 false does imply 1 true.

18. Bevo04

Bevo04 100+ Posts

Dude, we get it. You don't believe in God. Your numerous threads/posts over this topic got old a long time ago. You don't believe in God, this doesn't make you unique or special. I don't know why you feel the need to tell everyone who will listen about your views. It screams immaturity.

19. grammer_police

grammer_police 25+ Posts

20. NBMisha

NBMisha 500+ Posts

Yet there are more posts in favor of belief. Dudes, we get it.

21. Nivek

Nivek 500+ Posts

What if a new Homo species came about? Would this impact your religious views?

22. I_Live_In_OK

I_Live_In_OK 500+ Posts

23. RyanUTAustin

24. Bevo04

Bevo04 100+ Posts

25. RyanUTAustin

26. Bevo04

Bevo04 100+ Posts

27. RyanUTAustin

28. Bevo04

Bevo04 100+ Posts

Rather than comb through numerous religion threads/posts and have us debate your meaning or intentions of said threads/posts, I'd like to just point out what Rex said in an earlier post. I tend to agree with his impressions and the reasons for those impressions.

29. grammer_police

grammer_police 25+ Posts

I'm not going to come to Ryan's defense. But I enjoy reading the questions he asks, and I enjoy the replies to his questions. Half of the replies are highly entertaining. Maybe that's what some of you are pissed about.

I would read a thread like this one even if it reached the length of Mira Sorvino eating an ice cream cone.

30. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts