SXSW wristbands...success

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by unpaintedhuffhines, Feb 25, 2008.

1. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

holla

Your entry has been chosen to purchase SXSW Music Festival Wristbands(s). The credit card supplied has been charged $139.

You will be able to pick up your wristband at the Austin Convention Center in Exhibit Hall 4 located at 4th Street and Neches beginning Sunday, March 9th at Noon. You may pick up your wristband any time during the following operating hours:

2. steve perry

steve perry 100+ Posts

got mine too. this was much better than standing in line at waterloo (though that wasn't that bad).

3. Jellydonuts

Jellydonuts 250+ Posts

I got mine also. I like the new method. I would be very interested to know how many entries they received.

4. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard 1,000+ Posts

Bingo, got 'em.

5. stabone

stabone 500+ Posts

I got mine as well. Holla!

6. unpaintedhuffhines

apparently they didn't sell out according to a buddy

so, everyone got one

7. steve perry

steve perry 100+ Posts

8. Jellydonuts

Jellydonuts 250+ Posts

That was a little suprising. As someone who spent three hours in line at Waterloo last year on crutches, I can say that this new method worked out great. [​IMG]

9. unpaintedhuffhines

I think it's awesome that they didn't sell out. As mentioned by some posters in that article, it guaranteed that the first round of bands were sold to locals and not scalpers. As in, the method dissuaded scalpers from even trying.

Also (and I doubt it), if it's a sign that less people will attend this year then that's even better

10. Jellydonuts

Jellydonuts 250+ Posts

Okay, now that we have our wristbands lets get to the band recommendations. Anybody catch anyone last year that they want to promote for this year? I saw a San Diego band called the Grand Ole Party at Opal Devines; this year they are playing the midnight show at Emo's Annex.

Also, what the hell is "504 Trinity"? I know that is the old Copper Tank location, but what is there now? I want to see the English Beat there on Thursday night (yes, I know that I am old). [​IMG]

11. unpaintedhuffhines

I f'in love the English Beat

12. Ralphie

Ralphie 500+ Posts

We got ours. But the wife can't go so won't pick hers up. They're telling me no refunds no transfers. So, in short, they have my money for something that will not leave their possession. Any ideas?

13. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

i fail to see how you cannot transfer a wristband.

14. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard 1,000+ Posts

Rules For Wristband Pick-up:

1. Each individual must pick up his or her own wristband and will need to present a drivers license or valid government-issued photo ID to claim his or her SXSW wristband.
    2. The wristband will be fastened on an individual's wrist at time of pick up and may not be removed until the festival is over.
    3. An individual may not pick up a wristband for someone else.
    Disclaimers:

1. All SXSW Wristbands are non-transferable / non-refundable. No exceptions.
    2. Tampering with the SXSW Wristband will invalidate the wristband. Stretching, tearing, taping or cutting of SXSW wristbands is not permitted. If wristband tampering is evident, the wristband will be voided and the wearer will be refused entry to any / all SXSW venues.
    3. When purchasing 2 wristbands, the authorized purchaser must be one of the wristband recipients.
    4. Most SXSW Music Festival venues have minimum age requirements. Authorized SXSW wristband holders are not exempt from venue-specific age restrictions.
    5. All wristband are assigned by name, and are non-transferable. If you find a way to enter the drawing more than once without being detected, and have multiple entries drawn, you will be charged multiple times for non-transferable wristbands assigned to you by name. You will not be able to transfer or resell these wristbands. DO NOT enter the drawing more than once.
    6. Wristbands guarantee no cover. Admission subject to legal capacity. Many venues fill up. Badges get priority entry.
    The Link

15. Jellydonuts

Jellydonuts 250+ Posts

"i fail to see how you cannot transfer a wristband."

They put these controls in place to dissuade scalpers.

16. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard 1,000+ Posts

Hey Ralphie, just checked the website a bit more in depth, just no way to refund or transfer.

Can she come down a different time to pick up?

You do not have to go together.

17. Ralphie

Ralphie 500+ Posts

the issue is she would be buying a wristband she's not going to use. Just want the refund. Sometimes plans change. WE don't have any motives to sell on Craigslist or anything, but if they don't refund us, we will. I know they don't want that.

18. steve perry

steve perry 100+ Posts

but that was also part of the deal...the person you register for it has to be the one to get it.

I feel bad for ya, but they were very clear about you agreeing to it when you bought the tickets.

19. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard 1,000+ Posts

Man, that sucks.

They are pretty hardcore about their policies.

20. Ralphie

Ralphie 500+ Posts

I understand Steve, but sometimes plans change. If they are going to be that way about it, they can't get their panties in a wad when I sell them on Craigslist.

21. unpaintedhuffhines

how are you going to sell it? When she picks it up they will put it on her wrist.

22. Horn37

Horn37 25+ Posts

Is there any way at all I can buy tickets for single shows? I want to see the Old 97's at Stubbs and the Jim James acoustic show.

23. Jellydonuts

Jellydonuts 250+ Posts

"Is there any way at all I can buy tickets for single shows? I want to see the Old 97's at Stubbs and the Jim James acoustic show."

They don't sell individual tickets, but just get there a little early and pay a cover charge for that venue. My guess we would be $15-20 for a Stubbs show.

24. Ralphie

Ralphie 500+ Posts

that's up to the ticket brokers who are offering to buy them.

25. steve perry

steve perry 100+ Posts

are they offering to buy her wristband after she's put it on? or will they show up with her and stick their wrist out right when as she pulls her away...the old switcheroo, I believe it's called[/costanza]

but seriously, ticket brokers are willing to pay you for the wristband? do they plan on removing it very carefully?

26. unpaintedhuffhines

I'm actually interested to see how this happens

you could always saw her arm off and sell it to an amputee wanting to catch some shows.

27. Me So Horny

Me So Horny 100+ Posts

So, my friends in Dallas who want to come down for SXSW cannot buy wristbands on EBay like they have in previous years? I'm sure some will be on sale but they will have to cut it off?

How is it possible for anyone outside of Austin to get a wristband?