Taco Bell: Where's the Beef?

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by general35, Jan 26, 2011.

1. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

Not that I'm shocked but I thought the beef tacos had a little more than 30%. I figured they reduced it a bit with some fillers. oh well. I prefer taco bueno anyway.

Where’s the beef? Apparently not in Taco Bell beef chimichangas, according to a recent lawsuit.

A group of attorneys in California claim the “¡Yo Quiero Taco Bell!” chain is using false advertising when it says it uses “seasoned beef” in its food. The lawsuit says they had Taco Bell's meat mixture tested and it contained less than 35 percent beef.

“Rather than beef, these food items are actually made with a substance known as “taco meat filling”… (which) mostly consists of “extenders” and other non-meat substances,” says the class-action lawsuit, filed last Fridy in the Central District of California. “Taco meat filling is not beef.”

When customers bite into a crunchy beef taco, they are actually munching on water, wheat oats, soy lecithin, maltodrextrin, anti-dusting agent and modified corn starch, the lawsuit claims.

The lawsuit, filed by the Montgomery law firm Beasley, Allen, Crow, Methvin, Portis & Miles, claims the chain does not meet the minimum requirements by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The USDA defines beef, the lawsuit says, as “flesh of cattle” and says ground beef should consist of chopped fresh and/or frozen beef “without the addition of beef fat as such, shall not contain more than 30 percent fat, and shall not contain added water, phosphates, binders or extenders.”
    The Link

2. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

Serves them right for going to taco bell. [​IMG]

3. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Taco Bueno es mas bueno. Bueno aslo has real salsa as opposed to something more processed than kethchup.

4. pike

pike 250+ Posts

bueno. mmmmm. headed there now.

5. Garbage

Garbage 100+ Posts

explains a lot of what's wrong with our health.

crap in = crap out

6. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

7. celis

celis 250+ Posts

There was a FoodTV show that showed the tech in fast food restaurants.

Every one of the places, the spokesperson always said the protein. Not meat. It was always "the protein".

8. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

Pretty soon they'll be making the protein synthetically. Probably on wire-mesh screens.

Yummy.

9. Stove Top

Stove Top 25+ Posts

ahem....in my best Charlton Heston voice

My double beef burrito supreme is made from people, it's people!!!!!!!!!

10. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

GemStateJim,
    That made me laugh out loud. I don't often do that from Hornfans posts, but that was classic.

11. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

Thanks. I'll be here all week.

12. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I wish we had Taco Bueno in Vegas. We have Taco Bell and this place called "Del Taco" that serves french fries with its value meals. I can't bring myself to try it.

Having said that, El Pollo Loco is good, so that's something.

13. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

pollo loco is real good. didnt know they had them in vegas. i think they started in laredo.

14. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

You may be right, but I got the impression they started in cali. I may be thinking of Baja Fresh.

15. salonghorn-70

I agree with Prodigal. I think that they started in California.

16. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

El Pollo Loco is indeed greatness.

Back when I was a kid we had a couple Del Taco's in Arlington. As I remember it, they were very good. Of course I was just a kid, and probably any time I got fast food I thought it was good. Probably worth trying though. Interesting in that they sell burgers and Mex-fast food.

17. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

well, i looked it up, pollo loco technically started in mexico, then california had first us chain franchise. company was acquired by denny's and expanded across US.

18. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

Taco Cabana is the most under-appreciated Tex-Mex ever. There is NOT that much difference between T Cabana and a mid-level range Tex Mex restaurant, except the prices and time to your table.

I love it, wish it was where I live, and have taken my NY wife there as part of her first Tex Mex tour of Texas.

GemState- you made me laugh out loud too- Well played, Sir, well played.

19. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

20. salonghorn-70

The original Taco Cabana at San Pedro and Hildebrand has always been the best not only for the food but also for the interesting people that you see there. [​IMG]

21. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

go to Del Taco. Order "Nacho Fries with Jalapenos". It's not on the menu, but they will do it.

Thank me later. Like about 8 hours later, after a massive dump.

22. TRRW#31

TRRW#31 250+ Posts

Taco Bell sux and I hope they lose a lot of money over this. I prefer Taco Bueno to the bell. Also, for those of you in the DFW area, got to give a mad shout out for Taco Casa. [​IMG] I miss you.