Taking kids on a ski vacation

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by TexasEd, Feb 20, 2010.

1. TexasEd

TexasEd 1,000+ Posts

Planning for next year, I'll have a 13 year old and 4 year old that have never skied. What are some good places?

Ruidoso?

Thanks

2. LITNIN HORN

LITNIN HORN 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

I took my kids there and they had a blast. We signed up for the all day lessons, which included equipment and unlimited lift use. Very reasonably priced and good instructors.

[​IMG]

3. Aspen1

Aspen1 100+ Posts

Texased,

I recommend Beaver Creek, Colorado. They have the best teaching school for kids of the resorts I've been to which include Ruidoso, Aspen, Vail, Telluride, Arapahoe Basin, Keystone and Copper Mountain. Also have numerous beginner slopes.

4. tallgrant

tallgrant 250+ Posts

I learned to ski at Wolf Creek in Colorado. It seems like a pretty easy mountain for how the trails were graded- I was told that a good number of the blue runs would be green ones on other mountains.

Also saw a ton of kids running around everywhere. Seemed pretty familty friendly.

5. smwhorn

smwhorn Guest

Park City Mountain Resort.

6. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Targhee is pretty good, however it is farther from Texas. Everything is ski in ski out so when people get tired it is easy to take a break. They have movie night. It also has some of the best snow around and if you want to take a break and go snowmobiling in Yellowstone, it is an easy trip.

The Santa Fe Mountain has pretty good ski instruction and again if you want to take a day off, there is stuff to do.It is getting late in the season though so I don't know the conditions now - Is it still open?

Copper Mountain is a good family outing. Easy enough Mountain, good instruction....

Here is a review of some places:The Link

7. Wild Bill

Wild Bill 1,000+ Posts

I would recommend either Beaver Creek, Co or Park City, UT as they are both kid-friendly. Park City is very easy and quick (direct flight) to get to from Texas. You can also venture over to Deer Valley which is only about a 10 min drive for a change of pace.

At Beaver Creek, you are close to Vail (20 min drive), but you need to get there eaely as it gets crowded. You probably won't want to leave BC once you get there anyway.

Ruidoso is one of the least expensive places to ski, but just check the snow level before you go. It can be hit or miss.

8. AUinAustin

AUinAustin 250+ Posts

Nothing to do with Park City but don't plan to depart on a Sunday. I flew out of SLC this morning and the lines were out the door. 30 minutes just to print a boarding pass. Not sure what the price difference is these days between Park City and Deer Valley but Deer Valley is a grat place to ski...

9. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

I learned at monarch and loved it.

10. ACuriae

ACuriae 500+ Posts

Ruidoso is hit and miss. This year it's probably fine because they've had a lot of natural snowfall. Some people say they can't tell the difference between the natural stuff and the manufactured stuff, but it seems to me like it packs a different way than natural snow, making it harder to cut into. Every time I've skied there, I've felt like I had use more pressure to get my skis to bend. Maybe my imagination.

You might want to consider Buttermilk (Aspen-Snowmass area). Aspen isn't far away and most of Buttermilk is a cake walk for any intermediate-level skier. There are extensive beginner slopes. And Aspen isn't far away.

If Aspen-Snowmass area isn't to your liking or budget, then I'd consider Copper Mountain, Colorado; Crested Butte, Colorado; or Okemo, Vermont (kids under 6 ski free).

If you don't want to drive/fly to Aspen or Gunnison and want something closer to a major airport, then think about Winter Park, Colorado (but it gets crowded quick) or Deer Valley, Utah.

All of those have extensive kids' programs (Copper Mountain even publishes a 'kids-only' trail map, or at least they did in the past).

11. TexasEd

TexasEd 1,000+ Posts

Thanks,

My wife added the condition that we need Ski-in, Ski-out access.

I went to Wolf Creek the first time I skied but I don't think they had ski-in/out, at least I didn't see it, we stayed in Pagosa Springs.

Also this is for next year.

12. txtxyeha

txtxyeha 250+ Posts

Sounds like your wife also just said, "We're not driving 10 hours to no stinkin' Ruidoso!"

13. Smurfette

Smurfette 500+ Posts

If you're just learning, Angel Fire is a good one.... they have lots of easy, long runs. Don't know how good the ski school is, though.

The trick is going to be going somewhere that has a natural base. Any ski resort website is going to list the base and the percentage of runs open. A decent base is 26 inches, FYI. Any resort in New Mexico is going to be hit or miss on the snow.

Oh, and you might want to consider whether or not the resort allows snow boarders. So many resorts don't allow it anymore that the ones who do get over run by them, and snowboarders can making skiing difficult even for expirienced skiers.

14. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

Copper- Great ski school. Nice wide runs. Close lodging. Easy to get to off interstate. Friendly staff. One of my favorites out of about 10 resorts I've been too. Get the Bee-line pass if going spring break.

15. notreally

notreally 1,000+ Posts

everyone has their favorite resort. my family had a condo in beaver creek growing up, so of course i am kind of partial to it because of the privacy and the quality.

but if you are planning on going to ruidoso, then BC may not be your cup of tea. seriously.

ruidoso is like winstar. vail is like vegas.

since you are going with the kids, and i'm assuming there won't be much nightlife other than going out to eat, you really can't go wrong with any of the majors.

copper is cool becasue the skiing is good and nobody is there. breck has a neat town, but pretty crowded slopes. keystone, arapahoe, are about the same imho.

really just depends on what type of experience you want, or can afford.

16. washparkhorn

washparkhorn 2,500+ Posts

notreally is right. You should define how much you want to spend and then go from there.

The Ritz at Bachelor Gulch (Beaver Creek) is a jewel of a spot and great for kids. But it is expensive (and you will have to spend your time with a bunch dome-headed Goldman Sachs bankers [​IMG]).

Copper and Keystone have great kids programs. Vail is huge, but that has its advantages.

17. waazel

waazel 100+ Posts

Not sure where you are, but we took the kids to Brian Head, UT for the first time this winter. Had never been there and just went on a recommendation from a friend. About 3 hours up the 15 from Vegas (about an hour past St. George). Both kids (6 & 3) liked their classes - the 3yo class was more day care with the intent to get them out in the snow for a little while in the AM and then get them actually on skis for a little while after lunch. Not much to do with respect to nightlife, so get a place with a kitchen and bring food to cook. Very affordable and the staff was super helpful and friendly. Zero lines for lift tickets. Zero wait for equipment rentals. We did not go on a holiday weekend or anything. Lots of Green and Blue runs on the mountain; not so much Black. Would definitely recommend if you can get there easily.