TAMU-Commerce @ Texas 12/28/2022

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by brnkj, Dec 26, 2022.

1. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I know it's another cake-walk opponent, but hopefully we'll continue to tune up some things going into the Big 12 opener vs KSU on 12/31.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

One thing I want to see better tuned is our own turnovers. As was noted here, Rori was playing with a cold or some type of bug, which may have affected her performance the last two games. This game, I hope we really minimize them.

Also want to see continued solid play from Hadi, with an emphasis on strong defense without the unnecessary fouls.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Let's keep working ladies
    Hookem

4. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

I'd like to see Jones back in the lineup with no future mention of anything that sounds like "stress reaction". :shh:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I’m really nervous about this one… not. Hook ‘em

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

The only thing I’m nervous about is if any players were flying back to Austin on Southwest. :grimace:

I just saw this so not worried anymore. It’s been hell for people traveling between major cities, can only imagine what Jak had to deal with.

• Like Like x 9
  7. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Vic's media availability yesterday.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

I saw 4 WBB players at the men's game last night - Taylor, Jordana, AMO and Amina. They left the game with about 6 mins left, but they exited the Moody by going up all of the stairs from the floor level up to the 2nd level. They all looked fine to me, with no one appearing to have any physical issues. I know with Jordana and AMO, that probably doesn't mean anything. But I'm hoping maybe Taylor is getting ready for a comeback against KSU on Saturday.

• Like Like x 2
  9. UrsusArctos

UrsusArctos 100+ Posts

Thanks for the first-hand information. :e-hookem:

In the presser Vic said Taylor's got an appointment in the next week or two, said she’s feeling good and was doing stuff off the court today which he said was encouraging. Said hopefully they would get a good report when she goes in so it doesn’t sound to me like it’s this Saturday. Wish it was…..

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

My favorite Halftime stat 15 Assists & 2 Turnovers

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

Sure the opponent, but you gotta like what you are seeing from the Horns. Still feel like some chips are being missed but a pretty solid match through three quarters.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Looks like Gisella is officially enrolled - sitting in the row behind the assistant coaches.

• Like Like x 7
  13. UrsusArctos

UrsusArctos 100+ Posts

Almost every time we play one of these "lesser" teams you see a player on the other team and think, damn, we could sure use her on our team. That Robinson is a baller.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

The team says “You’re welcome.”

• Like Like x 4
  15. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Granted this game was against a weak opponent, but I saw some good things on offense like ball movement, making the extra pass, and better shot selections (for the most part). We were pretty solid on defense. There is still lots to work both offensively and defensively. Big 12 is really gonna be a GRIND... get ready.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
  16. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Paraphrasing from postgame media...Rori: "my job is to make game easier for teammates". Sonya: "my money is on us every time". Gotta love the attitude of these two!:fire:

• Like Like x 5
  17. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I watch a lot of Vic's interaction with the players during the game. I see when he's pleased and does the fist slap as a form of clapping. I see which player he's yelling at to get into the right defensive position and then I see which ones he pulls out to lecture or to tell them they did a good job and to take a rest.

First, Rori can do almost no wrong in his eyes. She's always getting the praise and fist bump from him.

Second, the person he focuses the most on is Sonja. She's always slightly late in getting into defensive position when the other team is inbounding. However, in my opinion her defensive aggressiveness has grown since she's started playing. While she's a bit late matching up to her player, she's running stride-for-stride with her player. Also, next to Rori, she's the most aggressive at trying to steal the ball from her opponent.

Third, what gets Vic super pumped is when one of our players takes a charge. Next to that is when our defense causes time violation in the inbound. Shot clock violation comes in third and an actual steal comes in fourth (in terms of his excitement level), and last is a fast break score.

I was pleasantly surprised when he put in Annissa so early this last game. The whole crowd starts cheering just a bit louder when she enters and her teammates get super-pumped when she attempts a shot (but hasn't quite made that many of them).

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I watched a lot of the game, but too many other good stuff going on to watch all. Overall, the team is looking much better. It appears to these fair and biased eyes that Schaefer has been more encouraging lately than he was earlier. I’m wondering if Blair has convinced him to tone down his negativity some. I’m optimistic coming up Saturday. One concern I have is Jack. She has so much potential, especially offensively, that I desperately want her to succeed. I got this impression that Schaefer was down on her a few games ago based on minutes and in comments. Sure would hate to see her transfer. She had 16 points and she hustles. However, for sure can see her defensive struggles. There was a couple minutes sequence where she gave up a three, then a layup, also a bad pass or two. Schaefer didn’t pull her so perhaps she’s on a longer leash. I’m thinking Saturday and 2023 will be a good year for Horns WBB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I was thinking the same thing about the more kinder gentler Vic approach and also suspect it could be Blair however it could be his whole staff because he admitted not too long ago that he had begun to question himself and went to his coaching staff and asked if they shouid back off his defensive philosophy and they said no. However I wonder if this is what they did say…you know…since he asked. It coincides with the more casual dress code for Vic and the coaching staff. I’m curious to see if this continues with conference play or is it just the holidays and much weaker opponents on the schedule lately.
    I guess we’ll know more Saturday and I’ll be there watching the game and the sidelines.

• Agree Agree x 1