Targeting and refs

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by old65horn, Oct 6, 2019.

1. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

I thought we all had a good understanding of the targeting rule. Texas were accessed two targeting calls in the first half. The loony tunes TV announcers were all in that targeting was the correct call. I did not see our player use the crown of the helmet to strike the WV player in the head or neck area. I said loudly to the TV, that is not targeting. The replay ruled that I was correct, the game refs were wrong and the announcers were wrong. Then in the 4th quarter Cosmi scored on a lateral and was hit in the end zone by the WV NT with a CLASSIC targeting hit. Look at the replay. No targeting call by the refs or the announcers. We were penalized 10 times for 89 yards and WV was penalized 3 times for 30 yards. Why do we keep getting the short in of the stick from the refs. I saw two obvious interferences not called by the refs and the play happened right in front of them.

I call foul and admit I am biased.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

Excellent post! I yelled at my tv several times too.
    The announcers defended the refs every time. Extremely frustrating

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

The rule is crazy and not enforced evenly. The night before ,I saw the exact same type of hit Foster and Dicker delivered, and it was ruled targeting and the player was thrown out of the game...... Its crazy ......

4. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Said the same thing on the Cosmi hit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

I posted in another thread but combo of announcers and refs ruined what should have been a great game. Unfortunately Uverse is about 3 seconds behind live so I can't just listen to the radio instead.

6. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I actually think that string of bad calls with reviews stole momentum from WV.

7. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

Still can't believe the Refs missed the obvious helmet to the facemask on Ingram.

8. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

That obviously was targeting by the rusher and confirmed by Ingram's injury. I hope he has recovered by this weekend.

Herman let on he thought there was clearly uncalled pass interference on the deep ball to Eagles because #4 was not playing the throw but hit Eagles early. I think Herman said it would be submitted to B12

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  9. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Agreed. I also wondered about the non-call on Cosmi. As to these continued ref issues, highlighted by the terrible Okie State game in 2015 (?) and to a lesser extent last years B XII playoff game, I do not understand why this happens, why nothing is done and what Texas could do about it. My guess is that Bowlsby supports these actions, or, is such a limpdi - - that he refuses to correct the problem. Nobody with half of a brain can disagree that there is at least some bad behavior.

I defer to SabreHorn on these questions since he appears to be wise to the politics, where the bodies are buried and course of action when it comes to all things with B XII football.

10. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Its not just Big 12. Refs suck in every conference. They either cheat or they are just incompetent. I think its a matter of both depending on the teams playing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Big 12 and Pac 12 seem to be the worst though.

12. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Expecting to hear from SH in five, four, three, two, one...

13. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

i'm going to give the refs a wide latitude on targeting as it really is intended to prevent serious injuries.

i'll rail all over holding and interference penalties all day long though.

14. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

At least there IS a review process now, but the reality is that too many of the incidents are something that occur because one player makes a football move after the defender has already started their move to tackle.

This holds just as true for college as it does in the pros...good example being the hit last week that knocked the Steelers QB out cold. Earl Thomas had already started into his hit and wrap motion when the QB gets hit from behind or otherwise had launched himself forward. This changed points of impact substantially...

At the risk of being in the minority, I could even have made a valid argument that the hit that saw Burfict suspended for the season started the same way. He had no assurance that the teammate was going to secure the tackle and was already launched when the ball carrier moved. It was a football play. A violent one, but not one that, viewed in context OF THE PLAY, had ill-intent.

Even with replay, they still get it wrong more often than they get it right...