Taylor Teagarden #40 Top 100 prospects of 2008

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by dbfootball, Feb 1, 2008.

1. dbfootball

dbfootball 250+ Posts

Taylor Teagarden

C

Texas Rangers
    TOP '07 LEVEL: AA (Frisco)

Teagarden was drafted out of the University of Texas as a plus defensive catcher who might hit a little. He blew out his elbow after signing and required Tommy John surgery, but he has developed into a better offensive player than the Rangers could have hoped for. He has a strong base at the plate and centers the ball extremely well, peppering the middle of the field with line drives, staying back well on breaking balls and showing a good two-strike approach. His main remaining question mark is his arm, which finally showed signs of a full recovery in Arizona. It's not a swing or hitting plan that is going to produce more than doubles power, but a catcher who works the count, hits lots of singles and doubles, and has a plus arm and good receiving skills will be one of the top 10, maybe top five, catchers in the game.

LINK

2. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

I wish him the best! [​IMG]

3. UTCHHSLonghorns

UTCHHSLonghorns 25+ Posts

Taylor in a Texas Rangers uni would sit very well with me.

[​IMG]

4. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

I am hoping Taylor can step up this year to the Rangers, but that's a very big leap. Salty appears to be a terrific athlete, but I'm not convinced yet that he can be a big-league catcher. If Taylor can make the team as the catcher, that would leave Salty available to learn to play 1B (where his height would be an advantage).

HornHuskerDad [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. txlonghorn47

txlonghorn47 < 25 Posts

Salty won't go to first. He was pretty clear about that this offseason when they tried to move him there.

I'm not sold on Salty as a catcher, I remember seeing him get 5 bases swiped on him with Atlanta last year, but apparently the Ranges are ready to turn it over to him.