Tceh 'tailgate' in Boise

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Idahorn2, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Idahorn2

Idahorn2 250+ Posts

As a small tribute to Hornfans final homegame tailgate, we're planning to duplicate (as far as possible) the Hornfans spread here at our place.

I went to the Hornfans tailgate before the TCU game and studied it. Well planned and very well executed. I would have gone through hundreds of mistakes reaching that level of expertise. Seeing Orangeblood slicing and chopping brisket for about an hour with no relief and little pause left me unsurprised when they decided to give this up. LHG posted a real helpful, and long, note on how to tailgate last winter when we played around a little before the Human whatever Bowl last year (it snowed and was about 10 degrees). This couple is a pair of real TREASURES.

Brisket and sausage, flour tortillas, some sauce and mustard in squeeze bottles, beer. Sausage served whole, brisket chopped and both placed in 8" x12" (?) aluminum pans. No plates or utensils, just beer cups to dispose of. I will cheat and chop up a couple onions.

I can't control what others will bring, but that is what we are doing.

Some of us are promoting the idea of making a road trip to the Colorado game next October (I went alone in '04 and had a great time). If there is a Hornfans tailgate there, I really think I can get these folks to stop by.

2. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

This thread is funny because for whatever reason, I'm embarking on my own special day tomorrow. In the past, Mrs. Macanudo has been in charge of making enchiladas, queso and salsa on game day. I was in charge of burgers and/or fajitas. Recently, because of her schedule, I've devolved into just cold cuts, cheese, crackers and fruits.

While I wont be replicating what Robert and Katie have pulled off for the past few years, I am going to do a whole spread. I lift a beer in their honor.

3. Idahorn2

Idahorn2 250+ Posts

Well, our "tailgate" turned out alright (almost wrote ok); and the game was great. We held the lead throughout instead of getting the lead only after time had expired. 9 lb brisket and 6 lb of various sausages were devoured in flour tortillas, with sauce and mustard. Plenty of beer- although not kegs.

Idahorn brought some borracho beans which were great. Hot but not too hot.

Little Idahornski brought a very unusual slaw which really is the purpose of this post. The main ingredient was not cabbage but julienned broccoli stalks. I think they were blanched but Mrs Idahorn2 thinks not. A little red onion and some julienned carrot; all lightly dressed. I'd never had anything like that and it was really good. She said she got it at Albertsons. 41 might even like this.

4. bozo_casanova

bozo_casanova 2,500+ Posts

You didn't serve finger steaks? In Boise?
    I realize you're trying to replicate all this down here, but when in Rome...

5. Kahuna

Kahuna 25+ Posts

I'll be in Idaho through mid-October, so I will try to join the Idaho contingent in Boulder, assuming I can find a couple of tickets.

6. Idahorn2

Idahorn2 250+ Posts

Great if you could join us Kahuna. The Owyhee Mountains South of Boise were reputedly named after three native Hawaiians who were lost there in a snowstorm over a hundred years ago. Don't get lost if you are coming from a southerly direction.

Bozo- finger steaks tend to hang in my stomach for about three weeks so I tend to avoid them for long stretches.