TCU hires Jamie Dixon from Pitt

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by JustWin, Mar 21, 2016.

1. JustWin

JustWin 250+ Posts

TCU has hired Jamie Dixon from the University of Pittsburgh as new men's basketball coach. Dixon played at TCU 1984-1987.
    Now Pitt is on the clock searching for a replacement.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  2. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Dixon is a fine coach. He will be an immediate upgrade, and make them relevant.

3. snek

snek 500+ Posts

He must really love Ft. Worth. Pittsburgh, other than Winter, shreds that city. Show him the money!!!

4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

snek,

Have you been to the Pitt campus? Damn near impossible for him to recruit there. For most of the recruits, it is the school of last choice. He got dumped into the ACC to get UNC, Duke, UVA, among others on his conference schedule.

I shall not address your comment on Pittsburgh as a city in comparison to Fort Worth other than to say I could not disagree more.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  5. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

As a long time resident of Cowtown, Paris on the Trinity, where the West begins, etc., I must disagree with your opinion that steel town is "shredding" my fair city. Although I really don't have any evidence for my argument, since I've never sit foot in Pittsburgh.:smile1:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  6. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

Good hire for TCU. OSU adding Underwood yesterday is a step up for them as well.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Cary,

I have been to Pittsburgh more than once, and believe it couldn't shred Port Arthur as a place to live. It almost makes Cleveland look good. Add in the fact that it has one of the most dangerous airports in the country (sharp banked turn with wind shears, which has flipped at least one 737 over on approach) and the only thing I have found to like about Pittsburgh is the fact the Mellon family backed a group of Texans in the formation of Gulf Oil and broke Rockefeller's monopoly on oil some 115 years ago.

FWIW, to support the quality of life in Pittsburgh, when Bill Panny was promoted by Rockwell to head a division headquartered in Pitt, he commuted from Detroit. Any more Panny's Panthers out there?

• Like Like x 2
  8. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

A couple of top notch coaches coming to the Big 12/10. Underwood has been doing great things at SFA and Dixon had a really really good run at Pitt. As far as recruitability; I don't know that TCU isn't a step down from Pitt as a basketball institution, but I imagine there was more for him to consider in making that move. Coaching your Alma mater is probably a big deal for a lot of guys. $$$ (doubling your salary) talk is nice too. And Cowtown, well, Cowtown is certainly a step up in terms of quality of life compared to Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is a shitholey. No offense Pittsburghers...

I welcome the challenge and assured improvements those programs will bring in the next season or two. Conference just got a whole lot tougher though.

9. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Agent,

Dixon was on his way out at Pitt. The two people who hired him and were his biggest supporters are now gone. Fan base is really unhappy that he can't beat Duke and UNC every year, and win the ACC plus its tournament and make the sweet sixteen every year if not beyond. There has been grumbling for a few years, but with a new AD, the handwriting was on the wall.

******** schools often have ******** expectations.

10. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

Oh. I thought the contract through 2022-2023 with the guarantee through 2018 meant he was firmly in place. Or is that Scott Barnes' way of saying, "yeah go ahead and leave, cuz we didn't like you anyway". Pitt was an excellent basketball team his first 8 seasons, all things considered. But yeah, I guess he did sort of hit a wall.