TCU Saturday

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Jan 5, 2017.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

After coming off the bench for the first four games of the season, frosh Amber Ramirez started the next five games, ending with the game against A&M Dec. 08. She has not played since (five straight games) due to a lower leg injury. It’s unclear if she suffered the injury in the very physical A&M game or in practice. She is an outstanding shooter. Wonder if she will be able to play Saturday.

From a game story on the TCU site after the A&M game:
    Frogs are coming in on a three game losing streak, starting Big 12 play 0-3. Losses have been to WVU 83-61; at OU 87-72 and to OSU 82-67.

2. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/010617aaa.html
    http://www.texassports.com/news/2017/1/6/no-15-womens-basketball-preview-tcu-jan-7-2017.aspx
    http://www.hookem.com/story/thompson-applauds-texas-passion-attitude-rebounding-basketball/
    Nice words about Kelsey’s rebounding.
    http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article125043304.html

3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Much better performance tonight against TCU. Team didn't go through any stretches of bad play or scoring droughts.

Noticed that Tasia was in warmups and at the end of the bench with Audrey-Anne and Jatarie. That usually indicates some sort of injury.

Alecia and Jada continue to look more comfortable on the court. Jada still with some travels, but some nice mid-range jumpers. They are definitely proving the strength and talent of the 2016 class.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

One of those nice games when you can brag on everyone and enjoy lots of good moves. It was fun to see some of Joyner's skills and more of her shots going in.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Love the way Texas played in the 2nd Half.
    Hookem'

• Like Like x 1
  6. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

I think I heard it said at the beginning of the telecast that Tasia got more than a little beat up and bruised in the game with Kansas and they were holding her out tonight.

7. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

Somehow, I don't think it will be that easy in Ft Wort.

8. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I wouldn't mind - I'm going to be at that game. :smile1:

9. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

not a very fluid first quarter but the team pulled away in the second and third quarters. Kelsey did not do a lot with the few touches she got (1-4) but she grabbed 14 rebs and had three blocks. She picked up a couple of late fouls after the TCU coach spend most of the 3rd quarter complaining to one of the refs (w/ short, black hair) that Kelsey was fouling with her body, not her arms. I think that was a career high in rebs for Kelsey.

Horns shut down the nation's top 3pt shooting team (by %) all game long. Frogs ended up 4-24 (16.7%) for the game. That's working the defensive game plan. TCU took a total of 57 shots, 24 of which came from BTA.

Horns committed 18 TOs but TCU had 21. That total can come down as several were just errors in trying to force a pass or throwing a pass too high or hard. Still, much better than the 31 vs KU. The only other gripe would be FTs. 12-23 is not good. That should come back, though. The team has certainly had better days at the FT line.

Overall, an exciting game with some jaw dropping passes from several players for assists. Tough D, effective O. Our subs played well and scored, with LaShann and Alecia leading the way with 9 and 7 pts, respectively.

Not a clean game, but a very effective one. And enjoyable to watch. And still lots for the coaches to use for teaching and improvement.

Coach Aston reached 200 wins in her career and will be looking for win 100 at Texas Tuesday vs OSU.

OSU looms Tuesday at 7 pm. They are coming off a 86-50 loss to BU at Stillwater.