TCU vs Texas game thread

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by militaryhorn, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

I noticed Collin Johnson blocking is @$$ off on a lot of big plays, this warms my heart as it used to be a problem

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  2. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Our D forced turnovers. And they were really big. THE difference.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Yall still wanna fire TH?

4. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I am watching him on LHN
    No

for now

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Their losses are better than our loss. Advantage a&m

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I think Sam has progressed, and evolved. Yes, his passing needs to improve, but we are seeing better judgment and good game management. Two games ago I was a skeptic. He’s starting to win me over.

The analogies to Tebow might be apt. Tebow wasn’t a very good passer but as I recall he had a strong line in front of him. Not saying that SE is the next coming. Just pointing out some similarities.

With playmakers everywhere on that side of the ball, I really think that play-calling is an ongoing issue. However, we can’t lose sight of the fact that TCU is a very well coached team, especially on defense.

I do think we may have turned a corner but also agree that an OU win would be massive. It now seems attainable. But we can’t look past next week either...

Make no mistake about it. This was a huge win.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Agree 2 games ago i was still skeptical - he is SLOWLY winning me over....

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  8. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I'm still old school. I can't get used to the idea that beating TCU means something.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  9. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I’m willing to give him another game or two.
    :idk:
    I think I am actually seeing a slight personality change. Less defensive. Maybe. (I hope so.)

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

duke
    I agree . His Presser was definitely difference compared to even a week ago.It felt different

11. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Winning changes everything. My hotel room smells better now.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

sounds a lot like Colt McCoy. Good supporting cast, stay within himself, etc etc

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Yes

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  14. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

The Horns have turned "a" corner, and there will likely be many more corners to come as they grow, evolve, and improve. It's similar to what Tom Wolfe wrote about flying in The Right Stuff, to wit:

"Nor was there a test to show whether or not a pilot had this righteous quality. There was, instead, a seemingly infinite series of tests. A career in flying was like climbing one of those ancient Babylonian pyramids made up of a dizzy progression of steps and ledges, a ziggurat, a pyramid extraordinarily high and steep; and the idea was to prove at every foot of the way up that pyramid that you were one of the elected and anointed ones who had the right stuff and could move higher and higher and even--ultimately, God willing, one day--that you might be able to join that special few at the very top, that elite who had the capacity to bring tears to men’s eyes, the very Brotherhood of the Right Stuff itself."

15. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Colt was the most accurate passer I've ever witnessed on the college level. Sam is nothing like Colt, now if you wanted to compare him to Tim Tebow, I'd probably agree, he is a gamer, no one can take that from him, but Patterson was correct in his assessment in calling him a full-back playing QB.

• Like Like x 1
  16. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I always enjoy a little hyperbole especially when it's me laying it on thick with a trowel but I think Sterns is possibly having one of the greatest freshman seasons ever to date. Maybe someone like Herschel Walker (or our own Edwin Simmons?) burst on the scene but this is crazy good.

• Agree Agree x 6
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  17. duff_man

duff_man 250+ Posts

I wanna fire you.

18. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Here's how I'm celebrating this win, cept to Air Supply :hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  19. LonghornMD

LonghornMD 100+ Posts

....... when we were losing to crappy teams two years in a row in an undefendable manner, yes. To add insult to injury, in post-game pressers, Herman was trying to piss on us and tell us it was raining. That didn't buy him any good will. He has since portrayed more humility and the team has performed much, much better, which has resulted in 2 very good wins. And that's the bottom line. You don't get the job done, your butt gets hot. You get the job done, then you get a pat on the back. It's that simple.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

LT says hi. But he was a redshirt frosh because for some reason Mack didn't play true freshman. Sure wish we would have gotten 3 years from guys like him and Finley. Wasted years for both. But if Sterns is anything like LT that is all good.

21. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I wonder if any safety in the country is playing better so far this year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

On Young's 3rd and 1 where he got stoned in the hole, does he need to get his pad level down? I'm no expert, but seems if his pad level is lower, he can push forward for one yard. The pitch to the boundary on 4th and 1 was just stupid. I liked how on the Sam TD, he kept the ball because Young was going nowhere. Good to see we learned from earlier. Ingram is our best long term back and it's not really very close. He needs 18+ touches going forward.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Go rewatch that play. Beck totally whiffs on his block. If he even gets a piece of his man, Young picks up the first down and instead of the typical belly aching, I'm reading all you internet experts extol the bold, unpredictability of our play calling. Any play, if executed properly, can be a success. Any play, if executed poorly, can be a failure.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

I was at the game and kept calling for Keontay. He got like 6 carries. Why??
    It’s obvious he is the best back. Maybe his knee is not 100% yet.

25. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Agree totally, dukesteer. I like the progress we're seeing - he can get better, and I assume the coaching staff will steer him toward the improvements. But definitely a lot of progress so far.

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I thought the best thing Sam did was hit Colin in the end zone. That was a great pass.

27. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

After the game Herman said he sustained a hip pointer.

28. Longbomb

Longbomb 500+ Posts

Half the players in that celebration video are taking a video of themselves with a phone.
    Ah kids these days. I don't get it.
    The pressure is starting to escalate at home, but I am still refusing to allow my kids to have phones.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Stop having the refried beans...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  30. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Some kid named Brandon Jones is having a pretty good season so far, too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1