TDF 2008

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Horneius_Maximus, Jul 5, 2008.

1. ths71

ths71 100+ Posts

[​IMG]
    Should be fun tomorrow.

2. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

Actually kind of a boring stage today.

I think tomorrow with Hautacam and Col de Tourmalet is the day that we'll see some serious attacks from the real contenders.

3. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

How great is the name Riccardo Ricco?
    If you do last, first like names are often listed you get-

Ricco, Riccardo

Say that a few times fast and you'll find yourself ending with "LUCY!! I'm hooooommmmmmeeeeee."

[​IMG]

4. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

Good one Napoleon! [​IMG]

5. Horneius_Maximus

Horneius_Maximus 250+ Posts

Now, that was a Mountain Stage.

Good stuff today!

6. Bevo Incognito

No kidding Hornius. Just beyond wow.

Is there any doubt that these are the toughest athletes in the world?

Hard to believe that there is only one second between first and second in the overall GC.

You would have to say that Evans is probably the favorite now, but I'm glad that Christian Vandevelde is still up there.

7. Horneius_Maximus

I could feel the pain on those climbs.

I have all kinds of respect for Jens Voigt. The man is a beast.

I wonder if CSC can do something big this time.

It is going to be tough for evans, the Lotto team is not strong enough to defend a yellow jersey. I think Frank Schleck is in an excellent position now.

8. Bevo Incognito

SPOILER ALERT!

One thing to consider: even though the TDF has only visited Hautacam three times in the past, whoever was leading at the top of Hautacam went on to win the tour.

So good news for Evans.

9. Horneius_Maximus

10. Bevo Incognito

I have a feeling that CSC might have to eat a big old fat Christian Vandevelde sandwich!

11. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

No Superman shot up the mountains yesterday, which is probably as it should be-the race is wide open still for several contenders, any one of which might have a little more energy on the next mountainous stage. Pretty entertaining Tour, for a Tour with no superstar.

12. Bill in Sinton

It is a strong possiblility that no one person will dominate the tour year after year as in the past with riders such as Lance.

13. Bill in Sinton

What is unusual about this year's Tour is that there are no past winners (please correct me if I am wrong) riding in the tour this year. The past three winners are not there. One is retired, the other was kicked off for alegedly drug use and the other was not allowed for being associated with a team that had some drug users.

14. elguapo

elguapo 250+ Posts

15. gobears92

gobears92 Guest

vandevelde looks good and is in a strong position...how does he stack up with cadel evans in the time trials???

16. Bevo Incognito

Vande Velde can be a very good time trialist. He finished 8th in the first time trial and won the Circuit de la Sarthe TT earlier this year. He strikes me as the kind of guy who, properly motivated, could make a huge ride in the second, long time trialer.

Having said that, he's probably not in Evans' or Menchov's league on most days. I think he's going to need to gain some more seconds on both of them in the Alps before that TT. Menchov looks really strong to me right now so I don't know if Vande Velde can do it.

17. Bill in Sinton

Right you are elguapo. Oscar Pereio did won it two years ago by default. The strange thing is that he won it by only 32 seconds over the German Andres Kloden. Of course no one knew that Floyd was going to get disqualified but if Kloden had known about it I wonder if he would have made a greater effort to overcome those 32 seconds. We'll never know.

18. elguapo

elguapo 250+ Posts

19. Officer_Cartman

Officer_Cartman 100+ Posts

Ricco tests positive, and his entire team leaves. STOP CHEATING

20. Horneius_Maximus

There were questions about ricco after his second stage win.

Unfortunate.

21. MirrOlure

MirrOlure 500+ Posts

22. elguapo

elguapo 250+ Posts

That sucks about Ricco, but I do appreciate that cycling takes this approach to doping. If you fail a test you're done - that's the way it should be in all sports.

23. gobears92

gobears92 Guest

unfucking believable that some would still be doping....jesus christ man! [​IMG]

24. Bill in Sinton

In the competition between Craig, Bob, Paul and Phil the points after stage 12 are Craig 19, Bob 7, Paul 5 and Phil 1.
    Craig had first choice today and his choice (I won't give it away due to spoiler possibility) won and he now has a commanding 19 points and it will be difficult though not impossible yet to catch him. He has done well in his picking. He had first choice today and used it very wisely.

25. Bevo Incognito

26. Bevo Incognito

Written a couple of days ago:

27. Bevo Incognito

28. TexonLongIsland

TexonLongIsland 2,500+ Posts

I was listening to the ITV's (British TV channel) TDF podcast the other day when Sonier Duval had 5 riders in a breakaway with no other team having more than 2. Their comment was along the lines "that many riders from one team dropping everyone else concerns me" Looks like their concern was well founded.

29. TexonLongIsland

TexonLongIsland 2,500+ Posts

Piepoli, who won stage 10, has been fired from Saunier Duval

In reply to:

30. Mrmyke709

Mrmyke709 1,000+ Posts

Team Columbia wins the stage again..Cavendish is a beast.