Teaching your child a lesson....the hard way

Discussion in 'Esther's Follies' started by mary21, Jan 10, 2008.

1. mary21

mary21 100+ Posts

2. Tank

Tank 100+ Posts

Sounds like something MY MOM would have done!

3. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

are you kidding?

what a ******* bitchy *** mom. there's no need to publically humiliate a kid (a kid who is ******* 19, might be in college, might not be, but who gives a f**k we all know kid drinks) because of something as petty as finding some booze under a seat.

jesus christ. we shouldn't be celebrating the mom here. what a possessive *****. cut the cord.

4. CavalierHorn

CavalierHorn 25+ Posts

Nevermind that the child is underage, has possesion of alcohol in a vehicle and broke pretty much the only rule the mom had set. booze in a car is NEVER a good idea. The mom can do whatever she feels is necessary to teach him a lesson. My dad would have whooped my *** had that been me.
    if the kid doesnt like it he shouldnt have been so irresponsible

5. whickums

whickums 250+ Posts

You're right, he's an adult. He can buy his own damn car and keep his booze in that one.

Mom bought the car and laid down the rules. He not only broke her rules but broke the law in many ways. Good for her.

6. SMDhorn

SMDhorn 250+ Posts

I feel that if the alcohol had not been in the car, he'd still have it.

Stupid kid gets what he deserves. Better his mom found out than the cops, though. Especially if he had been in a wreck.

7. jcazes

jcazes 500+ Posts

8. Mike_Tyson

Mike_Tyson 500+ Posts

He pretty much broke the only rule mom set for him in only 3 weeks. Way to go, mom! Nothing wrong with public humiliation.

I had a teacher in junior high who would not post grades but rather post the class order of who did best to worst. At the end of the semester I asked him how it all went and he said some kids just didn't care to do bad but overall, almost everyone's grades came up and it got pretty competetive for seeding. Humiliation can be a great motivator.

9. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

I'm with the mom.

10. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

11. i'm gonna guess hayden was being sarcastic.

i think what the mom did was awesome.

12. jmatt

jmatt 1,000+ Posts

I liike what the mom did.

Among other things, the kid got a real lesson in responsibility and how a person's actions do have consequences.

13. SAChick

SAChick 500+ Posts

I bet the kid will never let his "friend" leave alcohol in the car again.

14. TxStHorn

TxStHorn 1,000+ Posts

I don't have a problem with the Mom selling the car under the circumstances.

But she's stated that, although she's already sold the car, she is leaving the ad for another week, because of all the supportive calls she's been receiving.

THAT part of it, I don't like, because it seems clear she's a bit of an attention *****.

But se la vie.

15. Gate_of_Horn

Gate_of_Horn 25+ Posts

Selling the car is the right thing to do, that was equitable punishment. However, humiliating your kid with a story that has national attention is way overboard.

If you want to spank your kid in public, fine, but you shouldn't YouTube it for the whole world to see.

There is a good reason you punish people but still allow them their dignity. Taking accountability for your actions and answering for your actions to your parents is one thing, doing it to a city is quite another, and to a nation of gawking pundits is something only a politician should have to do.

Hopefully the kid has enough maturity to admit that he was wrong for allowing alcohol in the car, and accept his punishment like a man. However, I don't think the act of publicizing the punishment will be addressed unless the kid has the wit to take out his own classified ad in which he can make public amendment and gain public redemption the same way he was publicly chastised.

I doubt the mother of this 19 year old would have done this if it meant that her mistakes would be hashed out in the same manner.

16. mary21

mary21 100+ Posts

17. EuroHorn

EuroHorn 2,500+ Posts

I applaud this.

18. Beamwalker

Beamwalker 250+ Posts

what a c**t.

19. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

20. Praise of Folly

Praise of Folly 100+ Posts

Well, when I was 19, I was long gone from my parents' house so that would have never happened to me and I had already bought my own car by that time. Of course, the drinking age was 18/19 at the time (the age limit changed when I was that age).

And, I'll be French grammar police here: