Team of the Decade

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Hornmatic, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Hornmatic

Hornmatic 100+ Posts

As we head into the final year of the double aughts it’s time to really look at who has a legitimate claim to be called Team of the Decade. A few threads have touched on this but I think it deserves a more in depth discussion. They way I see it there are only 6 teams that are still in the running for these honors.

National Championships obviously carry the most weight for me. I also put a lot of emphasis on consistency, total wins, BCS appearances, bowl record, and conference championships. I also try to give equal consideration to all parts of the decade. What you did in 00 should count just as much as what you did in 08 for this discussion. I love excellence (MNCs) and consistency (double digit wins every year). Here’s how I’d rank them going into this year:

USC-
    Going for them-1.5 National Championships, 7 straight conference titles and BCS games with only one notable loss out of the 7. 3 Heisman winners. 93 wins and 6-2 bowl record (all BCS, aint no Holiday Bowls here…) 34 game win streak

Going Against them-The early years. Trojans lost 7 games in 00 and 6 games in Carroll’s first year in 01. Only team listed who missed a bowl game this decade. They also play in a weak conference but since they usually show up big on the national stage they aren’t as hurt by this like OSU.

Bottom Line-If Carroll was hired in 98 or 99 like Mack and Stoops this might not even be a discussion. I think they were the best team when they split it with LSU but they did play a weaker Michigan team compared the Tigers playing OU. Despite their brilliance this decade it will be tough to hold onto the top spot if one of the other top teams wins it all this year.

Florida-
    Going for them-Leading the pack with two outright MNCs is easily their biggest selling point. 1 Heisman winner and three conference championships in the best league year in and year out. Odds on favorite to win it all this year.

Going against them-The Zook years. Although his recruiting laid the foundation for Meyer to hit the ground running his three straight 5 loss seasons is an absolute killer. Only 87 wins and an average 4-5 bowl record especially since four out of 5 of those losses were non BSC games. Even with Meyer at the helm they still had a single digit win year in 07.

Bottom Line-If the Gators win it all this year you can shut the door on this topic, the three MNCs will speak for themselves, if they don’t they open the door the rest of the list.

OU-
    Going for them-1 MNC, 3 runner ups, 102 wins, 2 Heisman winners, 6 conference crowns.

Going against them-3 losses in Championship games and embarrassing losses to Boise St and WVU. Only 8 win season in 05.

Bottom Line-Very consistent this decade but has had chances to add a few more championships without closing the deal. They have a ton of wins and conference championships in probably the second best conference so if they win it all this year they have a legit claim.

Ohio St.-
    Going for them-1 MNC, 2 runner ups, 91 wins, five conference championships, 1 Heisman,

Going against them-Embarrassing losses on big stages. Relatively weak conference. What some would consider a fluke win for their only MNC, 3 seasons with single digit wins.

Bottom Line- Tressel has built a perennial power but high profile losses have weakened their image similar to OU. But again, if they take the cake this year you’d have to give them a look based on 2 crystal balls and 2 runner ups, with 2 fiesta bowl wins to go along with it.

Texas-
    Going for- 1 MNC, 96 wins, 3 BCS wins, only one season under double digit wins, 6-2 bowl record.

Going against-Only one conference championship is embarrassing, we’ve pissed away so many opportunities here it pains me. Lack of big wins early in the decade and big losses to OU.

Bottom Line-We’ve been a model of consistency this decade and have really turned it up a notch since 04. A MNC this year and I think our body of work this decade gives us the edge over everyone else.

LSU-
    Going for them: 1.5 MNC, 90 wins, 7-2 bowl record, 3 conference championships in toughest league.

Going against them-four years under 10 wins, the weakest championship team of the decade, inconsistent year in and year out.

Bottom Line- A ‘Ship this year will give them the lead in that department and serious rights to be called Team of the Decade.

Honorable mention: Boise St, Utah, Miami, Va Tech, Georgia

Thoughts: I think it is interesting that Florida, the team with the most championships also has the fewest wins and was the most inconsistent throughout the decade. If any other top team wins it this year, they’ll beat out the Gators based on the rest of the decade.

Also, the team who I think is best thus far has a lot of holes to fill on both sides of the ball this year. That really leaves the door open for the other teams to surge ahead.

Are there any other teams that should be in the running? Do you think any of the above 6 are not worthy of consideration?

Disclaimer-I referenced a few magazines and web articles to pull numbers but relied heavily on my memory. If any numbers above are wrong please point them out.

2. Ivan Drago

Ivan Drago 250+ Posts

That's a thoughtful and well written analysis.

I think you hit the nail on the head, especially with OU and Texas.

3. YeaTexasFight

YeaTexasFight 1,000+ Posts

Agree. good analysis. only critique I have would be to remove # of Heisman winners which has no relevance on team of the decade, imho.

4. GoHornsGo90

GoHornsGo90 1,000+ Posts

I agree with what you are saying, very well done. It looks almost exactly like Athlon's portrayal of the same topic, but that's fine you did a solid job. In accord that the most recent LSU title team (that beat tOSU) was absolutely horrible. They would have lost to 4 teams this past season and IMO they're lucky they didn't play USC at the end of the year...

5. buckhorn

buckhorn 1,000+ Posts

The Big X hasn't been weak throughout the decade. With the exception of the SEC, having a weak conference is cyclical and has shifted over the past ten years.

As Heismans are usually given to the best/most important player on a top team, they should be considered.

I understand that there is a general lack of logic in the world, and that what a person sees counts much more than what they know or do not see, but there is no justification for holding losses in MNC games against a team unless there is an even greater penalty assessed against those teams that couldn't/didn't make it, especially if said team didn't even make a BCS bowl. Similar logic should apply to BCS bowls in general.

6. Soviet Union

Soviet Union 500+ Posts

Winning Percentage

1. Boise St 98-17, 85.2%
    2. Texas 97-18, 84.3%
    3. Oklahoma 102-19, 84.2%
    4. USC 93-22, 80.8%
    5. Ohio St 91-23, 79.8%
    6. Georgia 90-26, 77.5%
    7. LSU 90-27, 76.9%
    8. Virginia Tech 89-29, 75.4%
    9. Florida 87-29, 75%
    10. TCU 83-28, 74.7%
    11. Miami 83-29, 74.1%
    14. Utah 76-33, 69.7%
    19. Florida St 78-38, 67.2%

National Championships

1. Florida - 2
    1. LSU - 2
    1. USC - 2
    4. Miami - 1
    4. Ohio St - 1
    4. Oklahoma - 1
    4. Texas - 1

Record vs Top 10 Teams (final AP/Coaches polls)

1. USC 11-4, 73.3%
    2. Oklahoma, 12-8, 60%
    3. Utah 2-2, 50%
    4. Miami 7-8, 46.7%
    5. Florida 9-13, 41%
    6. Ohio St 6-9, 40%
    7. Texas 6-10, 37.5%
    8. Virginia Tech 4-7, 36.4%
    9. LSU 6-11, 35.3%
    10. Boise St 2-4, 33%
    11. Georgia 3-9, 25%
    12. Florida St 3-11, 21.4%
    13. TCU 0-4, 0%

Record vs Top 25 Teams (final AP/Coaches polls)

1. USC 25-12, 67.6%
    2. Oklahoma 22-12, 64.7%
    3. Miami 24-14, 63.2%
    4. Texas 18-11, 62.1%
    5. LSU 24-18, 57.1%
    6. Ohio St 19-15, 55.9%
    7. Florida 28-25, 52.8%
    8. Boise St 6-7, 46.2%
    8. Utah 6-7, 46.2%
    10. Georgia 18-23, 44%
    11. Virginia Tech, 14-18, 43.9%
    12. TCU 5-7, 41.7%
    13. Florida St, 15-23, 39.5%

BCS Wins

1. USC 6-1
    2. LSU 4-0
    3. Texas 3-0
    3. Florida 3-1
    3. Miami 3-1
    3. Ohio St 3-3
    7. Utah 2-0
    8. Georgia 2-1
    9. Oklahoma 2-5
    10. Boise St 1-0
    11. Virginia Tech 1-2
    12. Florida St 0-4

National Championship Game Appearances

1. Oklahoma - 4
    2. Ohio St - 3
    3. Florida - 2
    3. LSU - 2
    3. Miami - 2
    3. USC - 2
    7. Florida St - 1
    7. Texas - 1

Ten Win Seasons

1. Oklahoma - 8
    1. Texas - 8
    3. Boise St - 7
    3. USC - 7
    3. Virginia Tech - 7
    6. Georgia - 6
    6. Ohio St - 6
    6. TCU - 6
    9. LSU - 5
    10. Florida - 4
    10. Miami - 4
    12. Utah - 3
    13. Florida St - 2

Eleven Win Seasons

1. Oklahoma - 8
    2. USC - 7
    3. Boise St - 5
    3. Texas - 5
    5. LSU - 4
    5. Miami - 4
    5. Ohio St - 4
    5. TCU - 4
    9. Georgia - 3
    9. Virginia Tech - 3
    11. Florida - 2
    11. Utah - 2
    13. Florida St - 1

Top Ten Finishes (final AP/Coaches polls)

1. Oklahoma - 7
    1. USC - 7
    3. Georgia - 6
    3. Ohio St - 6
    3. Texas - 6
    6. LSU - 5
    7. Florida - 4
    7. Miami - 4
    7. Virginia Tech - 4
    10. TCU - 2
    10. Utah - 2
    12. Boise St - 1
    12. Florida St - 1

7. Hornmatic

Hornmatic 100+ Posts

I agree Buck. I put OU's three and OSU's 2 runner up in the "for" section. Only counted OUs against them not so much as a penalty but so say what could have been. If the Bucks or Sooners had one more ship then you move a couple notches up on this list.

8. Hornmatic

Hornmatic 100+ Posts

Good stuff Soviet, thanks. I'd also love to see number of top 10 finishes, and/or average final ranking over past 9 years

9. Soviet Union

Soviet Union 500+ Posts

That's a good idea Hornmatic. I was thinking of other relevant numbers for Team of the 2000's. I'll have your suggestions done later tonight.

10. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del 500+ Posts

Terrific analysis! I would also like to see 11+ win seasons and cumulative SOS for the decade as well. Nice work, man.

11. Soviet Union

Soviet Union 500+ Posts

12. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

Not to be a homer or give credit to land thieves... but just in general, Texas and OU rule college football.

No if's, and's and butt's about it. The others come and go in spurts, but Texas and OU are freaking always present. If it's not OU, it's Texas. If it's not Texas, it's OU.

Screw LSU, Florida, USC and the rest. They come and go in lumps here and there, but freaking Texas and OU rule the game, and we're in the same freaking division.

No division in SEC, no tier in Pac 10, no grouping in Big 10, nothing nowhere anywhere anyway, even comes close to the style and effort of these two programs.

All supported by one freaking State's football program that hand's down is Quarterback Land for the whole of football. Best high school programs. Best high school coaches. Best high school players. Best state university that represents it's own state.

Overall... T-E-X-A-S is modern day football.

13. buckhorn

buckhorn 1,000+ Posts

14. RedRiverRocks

RedRiverRocks 500+ Posts

okay I'll be honest as a sooner

right now, if this decade ended now... it USC

if either of these teams win the national title this year they win team of the decade

(in no order)

OU
    UT
    Florida
    USC
    Ohio State
    LSU

15. RedRiverRocks

RedRiverRocks 500+ Posts

Oklahoma at the moment has had the better decade than texas.. that is a fact.. but if UT wins the national title this year, texas gets the nod

16. borna_horn

borna_horn 1,000+ Posts

Conference championships should be irrelevant. How many would USC have won if they had OU to contend with every season?

If Texas runs the table this year, then we would be the only program to win two undefeated, undisputed national championships this decade. Add that to having the highest winning percentage of the decade, and its game, set, match to Texas.

Also: If Texas beats Florida for the NC, we will be the only team among these 6 to have beaten the other teams at least once this decade.

If that happens, our record vs. the others:

OU: 4-6
    USC: 1-0
    Florida: 1-0
    Ohio State: 2-1
    LSU: 1-0

17. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

buckhorn... I attended the 1964 Jan 1st Cotton Bowl championship game against Navy... I've been on campus or in Austin for all title games... I was at an OU game in each decade but the 90s.. since 1961... . I was here in 60, 61, 62, 63... and in 68-69... I was drunk on a barstool at Ted Tagota's out off 290 near Cameron Road when Street completed that 4th down pass to Peschel... and here and there... back in town in Aug 04 just in time for the latest title. I was just talking ****. I've been associated with all the ups and downs... and writing with a good bottle of Columbia Valley Organic Cabernet... [​IMG] And my first game at DKR was Texas vs. TCU... got to see Jim Swink that afternoon. And I saw Billy Canon at LSU in 1959 while still in High School. And so on... my post was mostly about the recent time period.

18. RedRiverRocks

RedRiverRocks 500+ Posts

Mack Brown has 1 conference championship in 25 years as a head coach!!! nice accomplishment!!!!!

how can u say texas ranks above the rest, when they have only won the conference 1 time this decade?? HA HA, don't be aggy

19. Lidig8r

Lidig8r 250+ Posts

RRR.. I see you woke up on the "dick" side of the bed this morning. I will type this very slowly in the hopes you better comprehend.

Go back and read all of the posts on here again. We're talking the past decade... How is Mack's record before the decade relevant when.. once again.. we're talking THIS decade and while he was at Texas? At least pretend like you are capable of removing your dunce cap and not face the corner all the time.

We understand about conference championships and the OP took that into account (again, pretend like you can read with comprehension).

Factor in... wins, BOWL WINS (I know. .a foreign concept in the Land of Big Red and Girlfriend Kidnappers)... winning percentage. (Just for grins.. factor in .. oh.. probation factors as well).

If Texas wins the MNC this year.. that would be 2 Texas MNC's since OU last won its MNC at the start of the decade (in which it needed very good assistant coaches and Blake's recruits)... and the fact that Texas shows up in bowl games.. and most objective sports fans would place Texas over OU.

20. cehorn

cehorn 25+ Posts

I think the bottom line is if Texas wins the MNC this year they are at the top of the list. If they don't win it all, they are at the bottom of the list (OP's list) if they even stay on the list.

21. cehorn

cehorn 25+ Posts

damn double post

22. Nuclear Bear

Nuclear Bear 1,000+ Posts

USC is the top program of this decade.

One huge thing for me that works against the Florida Gators is the fact that they have a losing bowl record this decade of 4-5.

If they win it all this year the Gators would get the nod.

23. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

On paper USC looks like the Team of the Decade. However they hae also played in the 4th best conference during this time period. The SEC, Big 10, and Big 12 would have to rank ahead of theirs. Running the table year in and year out in the Pac 10 to win all those conference titles isn't as impressive to me as what Florida has done in recent years in the SEC. Also their best team, the 05 team was beat by Texas. Texas has perhaps 1 of the top 2 best seasons of the decade. USC did win in 04 hands down....but you could almost also give Auburn or Utah a national title that year by some of the logic used to award national titles. In 03 USC got the AP title but LSC beat OU in the MNC game. So now LSU and USC both get national titles in their column for that season?

Now Florida has only really been at this level for about 4 years so it is really hard to call them a team of a decade. They won their 1st title in 06 by beating an OSU team that didn't even deserve to be on the same field. That was a weak year and just b/c the current system puts you in that game doesn't make me put that title on the same level as the 02 OSU title of 05 UT title.

LSU has 2 titles? Again their 03 title is counted the same as USC's 03 title? And their 2nd title came in a year that they lost 2 regular season games. That was a very weak year for a title. I mean Kansas had 1 loss that year and won their BCS bowl game against #2 V. Tech who also had only 2 losses. USC has 2 losses that year and won their BCS bowl game. Georgia had only 2 losses and beat an undefeated Hawaii in their BCS bowl game. So you are actually going to tell me that LSU was the champ that year and that Kansas, Georgia, and USC were not deserving? Some years had to be just taken in context with the current system.

Utah went undefeated last year and beat a 1 loss Alabama in a BCS bowl game. #4 Alabama...the team ranked #1 for a big chunk of the season. But they weren't worthy of playing a 1 loss OU or UF. Or 1 loss Texas who beat OU in the regular season. But UF is the deserving national championship team last year? I think UT and Utah would disagree.....didn't even mention USC. Then in 04 Utah was also undefeated and did not get a shot at playing in the MNC game. That is a team that has had 2 undefeated seasons in the last 5 years and won their BCS bowl game. 04 is their weakest argument b/c they had some very strong teams go undefeated that year as well but last year they had a real legitimate gripe to be called national champs.

OU has lost 5 consecutive BCS bowl game and last 3 MNC games. Their performance in big games over the last 6 years is enough for me to bump them down a few slots.

I just don't think we have a team of the decade. Miami was the best team from 00 to very end of 02 when they lost to OSU. They were better than FSU in 00 and should have gotten a chance to play OU in 00 MNC game.

Then USC dominated 03 to very end of 05. They got jipped in 03 title game due to computer rankings, then won an undefeated season title in 04, and then had one of the greatest seasons ever in 05 until losing to Texas. Since then they have been good but not great. Mental slips ups here and there.

OSU and Texas are very similar. They had had great seasons ending runs by Miami and USC respectively. However they are very good overall for the entire decade but their great runs only pop up every few years. Thus they haven't had a great 2-3 year run like Miami and USC have.

Since that time period you could call UF the best overall team. However they did have a 4 loss season I believe in 07 (the year between their 2 titles), and their title in 08 was not outright IMO. UT, USC, and Utah could make similar claims to have been deserving of having a shot that year. But I will still call UF the best overall team from 06-08 just b/c nobody else fills the shoes better.

24. Horn89

Horn89 1,000+ Posts

25. Hornmatic

Hornmatic 100+ Posts

Gators, Sooners,and Buck Nuts are all 4-5 in bowl game. Biggest difference is that most of OU and OSU losses were against quality comp in BCS games and Florida's losses were in the Capitol One, and other mid tier bowls.

26. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

27. RedRiverRocks

RedRiverRocks 500+ Posts

I'm just saying, if your gonna talk about "bowl wins" then your Holiday and Alamo Bowls wins should not count...................... Alamo bowl lol

however,

if Texas wins the national title this decade, they will be team of the decade, in my opinion.

the same goes for OU, FL, LSU, tOSU, USC

28. Nuclear Bear

Nuclear Bear 1,000+ Posts

29. Longhorn01

Longhorn01 500+ Posts

In reply to:

30. RedRiverRocks

RedRiverRocks 500+ Posts

so BCS wins are the only thing that matters??? lol

getting to 4 national titles and winning 1, is an accomplishment, a great one.

OU is over Texas, this decade... fact