Teams to root for in 2018 (to help Texas' SOS/RPI)

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

The other night, when Tennessee was playing at Kentucky, I was thinking of rooting against Tennessee (because they beat us). But, then I thought that although we will need them to lose eventually since we want to be higher them come bracket time, we don't want them losing to unranked teams or teams who aren't that strong.

Tennessee ended up winning that night at Kentucky, which helps us, but also hurts Baylor since their best non-conference wins were against Stanford and Kentucky. Kentucky also lost at A&M a couple of days ago; that definitely doesn't help Baylor either.

Started this thread so we can share thoughts and updates about teams across the country who impact our SOS/RPI, and teams who we are competing against for Top 1/2 seeds.

LSU got a win at #16 Mizzou the other night, 69-65. Great news for us as we have a non-conference win over LSU.

I don't FSU has lost since beat them; so, more good news. Haven't kept up with Washington or Georgia too much, but we should root for those teams for sure, in addition to LSU.

• Like Like x 4
  2. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Washington is one of the weaker Pac12 teams, I think. I do not expect much from them in conference play. Georgia is a little more interesting. They only have one other loss (weak non conference schedule) and that is to South Carolina. OOPs- I mean Mississippi State. (Thanks Moo) Best win to date is over Georgia Tech. They are 1-1 in Sec. conference play with a game today at Kentucky.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I thought Georgia got crushed at home last Sunday against Miss. State.

In Big 12 play, it would be great for us and conference if we could secure 4 teams in the Top 16 come tournament time. Texas and Baylor are pretty solid bets, although Baylor's SOS is atrocious; will improve as conference plays out. I thought WVU was a strong bet for a Top 16, but I don't think that anymore based on how they are trending, including that home loss to KSU. Okie State has a very strong SOS, and I think they have a great shot at being Top 16.

• Like Like x 1
  4. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Oops. Moo, you are right. Ms St, not S Carolina beat Georgia. I need to find that little pink face.

5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Rooting for #22 Michigan today at home against #10 Ohio State. Need OSU to notch another loss so the remain behind us.

Tennessee not having an easy time Vandy today, but up by 8 no in third qtr; rooting for Lady Vols

LSU hosts #5 Miss. State today. I don't think LSU can win, but would be great for us in so many ways if they can pull the upset.

#4 South Carolina @ #16 Mizzou today. Now that LSU beat Mizzou, would be great for us if Mizzou upsets South Carlina (like they did last season at home).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Florida State lost at Syracuse today; that's not good for us.

7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

#4 South Carolina loses at #15 Mizzou today. That will definitely help us move up in the polls this week, and possibly in RPI (if they are higher than us).

8. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Wow

9. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  10. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

#24 Stanford loses @ #25 Arizona State. Stanford's record now drops to a record of 9-7 on the season. Stanford is Baylor's best win so far -- LOL !

Not surprisingly, Baylor's SOS as of 01/03/2018 was #109. Ours was #17. Granted, BU has not play conference team like OU and WVU, which had by that date. But, their non-conference slate is definitely hurting their power numbers; it was bad last year, too.

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=92983&sid=cf54262b17069a8569fa2d1b1e9d3d48

• Like Like x 1
  11. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Recorded that game and watched after the Longhorns win. Missouri’s Sophie Cunningham is impressive.

I don’t think the second tech was on Staley rather ‘the bench’ when A’ja Wilson fouled out. I didn’t think they’d run a coach unless the technical was specifically on the coach.

12. LutherIsMyDog

After watching the game, did you think the refs called a bad game?

13. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I read that Staley did not send in the replacement for Wilson when she fouled out “in the allotted “ time (and she did it on purpose to make a statement.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Based on what most fans have seen the past few years? About normal. Slight homerism in Missouri’s favor but nothing egregious.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

#9 Oregon wins at #14 UCLA. That means the UCLA team which beat Baylor now has four losses on the season; definitely hurts Baylor.

Conversely, Oregon is definitely a strong contender for a #1-2 seed come tourney time.

• Like Like x 1
  16. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Yeah, but come tourney time, they always seem to take into account injuries and what not. Lauren Cox, nor Coach Mulkey were at the game at UCLA.

17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Are you seriously standing up for Baylor? You must be on the wrong message board. :idk:

Well, with that logic, I guess we should get a mulligan for our loss at Tennessee since we didn't have Joyner Holmes available to play.

Even if Baylor had beaten UCLA, then that would give UCLA five losses on the season. And, probably not in the Top 25. It worsens their SOS, but of course they would be undefeated so no losses would help their current RPI.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

No, not standing up for Baylor at all. Just stating the obvious, and it always happens. Please! :rolleyes1:

19. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Read this in the recap - can’t remember a FT attempt disparity this large (+30 for ASU):

The Sun Devils finished the game 24 of 39 at the line to 5 of 9 for the Cardinal.

• Like Like x 1
  20. LutherIsMyDog

We move up to #7. South Carolina falls to #9.

Tennessee's next four games;

At Texas A&M #17
    At South Carolina #9
    At Notre Dame #2
    Mississippi State #4 (Knoxville)

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  21. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Polls are fun; but, I am more interested in RPI rankings as that is what is mainly used for bracket seeding.

• Like Like x 1
  22. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Moooooo, where do we stand in RPI at the moment?

23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I think the next updated RPI comes out on 01/10 (every Wednesday). I'm using the link to that website on Rebkell's where one poster is posting updates weekly.

24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Guess I will root for Tennessee tonight at A&M.

25. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

FLorida State up 50 on Miami

Norte Dame getting drubbed by 40+ against Louisville

26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

#6 Tennessee won at #9 South Carolina on Sunday; good for us in several ways (SOS, and trying to stay ahead of South Carolina come seeding time).

Georgia wins at #17 A&M. Very good for us.

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  27. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Was typing this as you posted.

Double good news for Longhorns: Georgia defeats #17 aggy in College Station in overtime, 92-84.

28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

#19 Michigan won at #8 Ohio State on Tuesday. Good for us "poll-wise", but also to stay ahead of OSU in bracket seeding down the road.

29. LutherIsMyDog

Good win for Georgia. Gabby Connally for Georgia is having a great freshman season. I noticed that she's from San Antonio. Does anyone recall if there was interest from Connally or Texas during her recruitment? Did she attend any of our camps?

• Like Like x 1
  30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts