Teams to root for in 2018 (to help Texas' SOS/RPI)

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Nell Fortner and Andy Landers sure are making a lot of fuss over Baylor's win over us last week claiming no one wants to see Baylor in their bracket. Guess they didn't watch their much tighter wins over West Virginia and Oklahoma State the last few days.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Georgia also in a battle with LSU, 41-41 with 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

3. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Georgia loses to LSU. 71-60.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  4. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Frankly, imo, a rematch with UConn should not be an issue for the team.

We beat both teams, so does it matter which team won?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I like your optimism, but having to beat UConn in basically a home game for them is a tough chore for any team in the tournament. I don't want our team to have to face that again, regardless of how well we played against them at home.

• Like Like x 2
  6. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

I forgot we played LSU in Vegas. Duh.

7. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Not that we should shy away from the opportunity to face them again, but I believe that we would probably be moved up/down for procedural reasons. Having played them already is often something considered. Not to mention we've been sent to their region two of the past 3 seasons IIRC

• Like Like x 2
  8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I don't want to leave our fate in the hands of the committee's memory. Also, don't forget that the committee has a rule to place teams from the same conference seeded in the Top 16 in different regionals; that is what bumped us "procedurally" into UConn's regional in 2016.

The SEC could have 5-6 teams in the Top 16; so, that could further complicate seedings as two SEC teams would have to be placed in the same region (but, they would not be allowed to meet in the Sweet 16).

For us, only two Big 12 teams will likely be seeded in the Top 16. But, we can't be in the same regional as Baylor. So, that could also throw a wrench into things.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

So, despite TCU coming to Austin with a #22 ranking in the human polls, their RPI is #53 and their SOS is #93.

Our RPI was at #11 and SOS at #22. Even though we throttled TCU today, I'd expect our numbers to possibly drop.

TCU's number might actually improve after the loss. I don't think they get into the NCAA tournament next month unless they win one game against Baylor, and win the rest of their Big 12 games; the cannot afford a single bad loss. They may also have to get to the conference tourney semi-finals to plead their case.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Didn’t realize until one of the announcers mentioned it that TCU’s non conference SOS was #231 - 4th worst among all Power teams.

11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Even with TCU losing to us today, their overall SOS jumped 20 spots up to #73. RPI up to #51. So, maybe with two remaining games against Baylor (even if they lose both), will boost their SOS even more.

That non-conference SOS for them is just brutal, and could be the lone reason why they don't get into the NCAA tourney.

Conversely, OU sits at 12-11 overall. Their non-conference SOS is #3, and their overall SOS is #2. Sherri scheduled very tough in the non-conference, and I only recall UConn as a marquee opponent on their schedule; but, their most have been some other tough opponents, and probably no opponents whose RIP is below #200.

12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

LSU at Kentucky right now on SEN; leads 21 -13 early in the second quarter. They are at #27 RPI, so definitely rooting for them.

13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Later today, Notre Dame at Duke. Rooting for Notre Dame since Duke is right behind us in RPI.

Tennessee will be at Vandy. Tennessee has four losses like us, but still ahead of us in RPI. I'd like to pass Tennessee in RPI, but them losing to Vandy (#120 RPI) would hurt our SOS. So, think I'll root for the Lady Vols today, but against them if the play Georgia or Miss. State down the road.

14. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

They lost to Miss St by 19 a couple of weeks ago - the only time they’re scheduled to play this season - but they do host Georgia in Knoxville next Sunday.

15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Well, maybe in the SEC tourney then!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

LSU escapes, 72-20! Great for us! Double-good as Kentucky losing hurts Baylor a bit.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Notre Dame wins convincingly at Duke.

• Like Like x 1
  18. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Stanford just upset #6 Oregon in Eugene hopefully providing a chance for Texas to move up

• Like Like x 3
  19. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Watched the game. Wow. Stanford’s Brittany McPhee put on the most impressive offensive performance I’ve watched in women’s college basketball since Maya Moore left UCONN. She had 2 points and Stanford trailed 41-32 at the half. She scored 31 in the second half to lead the Cardinal to a 13 point win.

• Like Like x 4
  20. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

That was very impressive especially after that violent collision with her own teammate (K Williams) in the 2nd half.

• Like Like x 2
  21. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Ranked back at #6 again. And Creme, who is unimportant for the most part, has us back as a 2 seed primarily because FSU had some bad losses.

• Like Like x 1
  22. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Crème still has us in UConn's bracket. Guess he just really wants that re-match.

23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Rooting for Miss. State at home tonight against South Carolina.

Would be great if USC won at UCLA later tonight, but I'm not counting on it.

24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Miss. State beats South Carolina, which is great for us.

I honestly don't know what South Carolina has done to warrant the #7 seed by the committee and in Creme's bracket. Their RPI and SOS aren't even in the Top 20; and, other than a win over Duke, not sure they've beaten anyone else of significance (they may have beaten Ohio State, but I forget).

• Like Like x 3
  25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

26. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Would prefer that to happen in Columbus. :hookem:

• Like Like x 2
  27. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Prior to Wednesday's games, TCU, West Virginia, and Oklahoma State were all lumped together in the low 50's in the RPI rankings. With OSU winning at TCU, they definitely help themselves in getting off the NCAA tournament bubble. Hurts TCU for sure to lose at home.

OSU moved up 12 spots to #43, while TCU dropped 11 spots to #63. TCU isn't gonna make the NCAA tourney unless they beat Baylor, IMO.

http://warrennolan.com/basketballw/2018/rpi-live

Probably doesn't affect us too much, but I've had to root for TCU in most games since they did beat us once. Maybe it's just perception, but we could get dinged for having lost to a team who isn't part of the NCAA tournament field.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Lots of games on TV today.

For us, rooting for LSU at home against Texas A&M.

And, rooting or Georgia at Tennessee. We need to keep Tennessee behind us in the RPI rankings, and the eventual seedings.

29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Tennessee beat Georgia handily.

But, LSU did defeat #14 Texas A&M, 80-78 ! :yippee:

• Like Like x 2
  30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Would really like to see UCLA lose at home today to #25 Arizona State.

Early in the second half, UCLA is up 41-34