Teams to root for in 2018 (to help Texas' SOS/RPI)

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 2,500+ Posts

Did not realize LSU had lost at 11-11 Auburn on Thursday night; so, good thing for us they turned around and beat A&M today.

BabHorn likes this.
  2. Moooooo

Moooooo 2,500+ Posts

3. Moooooo

Moooooo 2,500+ Posts

Louisville at UConn tonight.

Rooting for UConn for many reasons

4. Moooooo

Moooooo 2,500+ Posts

Non-conference opponents whose RPI's are really hurting us:

#259 McNeese State
    #295 UTSA
    #311 Northwestern State

Non-conference opponents whose RPI's aren't so bad:

#157 Louisiana Tech
    #174 Stetson

Non-conference opponents (from major conferences) whose RPI are helping us:

#2 UConn
    #5 Florida State
    #7 Tennessee
    #22 Georgia (part of Big 12 / SEC Challenge)
    #26 LSU (Vegas tourney)
    #175 Washington (Vegas tourney)

Big 12 Conference opponents RPI's (very weak this year, IMO, and mainly due to poor OOC scheduling):

#8 Baylor
    #9 Texas
    #30 Oklahoma
    #44 Okie State
    #52 West Virginia
    #59 TCU
    #84 Kansas State
    #119 Iowa State
    #165 Kansas
    #227 Texas Tech

BabHorn likes this.
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 2,500+ Posts

For those five "cupcakes" in non-conference who are mainly regional teams, here are some who could have been better options (and some who we've played in the past):

#60 Houston
    #86 New Mexico
    #98 Rice
    #101 Tulane
    #110 Lamar
    #113 Arkansas-Little Rock
    #130 Central Arkansas
    #133 SFA
    #136 UTEP
    #153 Texas State
    #162 Louisiana-Lafayette
    #168 Tulsa
    #178 UTA
    #182 Southern
    #187 Arkansas State
    #192 SMU
    #194 Oral Roberts

I realize non-conference scheduling does come with certain obstacles, and is not an exact science when predicting opponents' success. But, in the future, I'd like us to avoid scheduling anyone with a projected RPI greater than #200. It just doesn't do us any good in SOS, fan attendance, competition, etc.

WCBBNUT and BabHorn like this.
  6. Moooooo

Moooooo 2,500+ Posts

Baylor plays at Oklahoma State tonight at 7 PM Central on FSN.

If OSU doesn't win, that might pretty much wrap up the conference title for Baylor as their remaining games are at home against Kansas, at Texas, at TCU, and at home against West Virginia.

7. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 500+ Posts

It all starts with us. If we do what we need to do, hoping for another 3pt barrage miracle from TCU

8. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Moooooo, which RPI site do you use? I lost the ones I had bookmarked when my computer crashed a few months ago.

Where does North Texas rank in RPI? I would like to see us play some teams that have former UT players/coaches on staff like Houston, SMU, N Tx if playing them would not hurt our OOC RPI.

9. Moooooo

Moooooo 2,500+ Posts

This RPI site updates as soon as the game is concluded. First year I've come across it, and I really like it. The only thing I don't like is that you can't really go back in time to view how things were as a of a date in the past.

http://warrennolan.com/basketballw/2018/rpi-live

North Texas is currently ranked #221.

BabHorn likes this.
  10. Moooooo

Moooooo 2,500+ Posts

Tennessee just lost at home tonight to unranked Alabama. That will help us move ahead of the Lady Vols in RPI (assuming we beat OSU on Saturday).

Georgia hosting South Carolina tonight. Go 'Dawgs!

HornView, Ellis21d, BabHorn and 2 others like this.
  11. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Thanks, Moooooo.

12. Moooooo

Moooooo 2,500+ Posts

On Thursday, Georgia ended up losing to South Carolina at home; so, the 'Dawgs fall in RPI.

Friday night, Oregon has to go to 2OT to hold off USC at home. Oregon losing would have been great for us.

UCLA playing at Oregon State at the moment. Really need UCLA to lose, and then go to Oregon and beat the Duck on Monday night.

BabHorn likes this.
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 2,500+ Posts

Oregon State beats UCLA in OT on Friday night. Good for us.

BabHorn, jusme828, HornView and 2 others like this.
  14. Moooooo

Moooooo 2,500+ Posts

#11 Tennessee loses at #13 Mizzou on Sunday.

Tennessee remained ahead of us in RPI despite their loss to Alabama on Thursday, and our win at OSU yesterday.

Ellis21d and BabHorn like this.
  15. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

So I am guessing that the Tenn loss was good for us?
    Thanks for keeping this thread updated, Moooooo. It's awesome to check be able to check this after games.

16. Moooooo

Moooooo 2,500+ Posts

Well, even with the losses over the last couple of days, UCLA and Tennessee remain ahead of us in RPI. Their SOS is better than ours, probably because we played too many non-conference opponents with beyond #200 RPI rankings.

But, the committee doesn't simply go by RPI when revealing their last two Top 16 rankings. Third reveal is Monday night.

IIRC correctly, we were ahead of both Tennessee and UCLA in the last rankings. I have not been able to understand what the committee is doing when ranking South Carolina and not ranking Ohio State; doesn't even come close to RPI rankings.

I expect the same Top 11 teams (from last reveal) to remain in the top group, except a different order from 5-11:

UConn
    Miss. State
    Louisville
    Notre Dame
    Oregon
    Baylor
    South Carolina
    Florida State
    Texas
    UCLA
    Tennessee

My predictions:

UConn
    Miss. State
    Notre Dame
    Louisville
    Baylor
    Florida State
    Oregon
    Texas
    UCLA
    Tennessee
    South Carolina (who I think should be even lower)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018 at 3:32 PM
    BabHorn likes this.
  17. jusme828

jusme828 1,000+ Posts

UCLA plays Oregon tomorrow night. Which one of those teams would help us out with a win? Either?

18. Moooooo

Moooooo 2,500+ Posts

Well, their game is after our game. So, if we beat Baylor we move up a bit over the loser of that PAC game, and possible both. If we don't win, we stay below both most likely.

BabHorn and jusme828 like this.
  19. Moooooo

Moooooo 2,500+ Posts

A few minutes after I posted above that Tennessee and UCLA were still ahead of us in RPI, there must have been some trickle-down effect from other games as we are now ahead of Tennessee by one spot, and right below UCLA.

LutherIsMyDog, BabHorn and jusme828 like this.
  20. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 1,000+ Posts

The selection committee released their final reveal of the their Top 16 and included the regional placement:
    The other undefeated team beside UConn, Mississippi State, is the No. 1 seed in the Kansas City Regional. Joining the Bulldogs there are No. 2 Texas, No. 3 UCLA, and No. 4 Maryland.”

Obviously a lot can change between now and the tourney, starting tonight.

The order of the teams, 1-16 is: No. 1 UConn, No. 2 Mississippi State, No. 3 Louisville, No. 4 Notre Dame, No. 5 Baylor, No. 6 Oregon, No. 7 South Carolina, No. 8 Texas, No. 9 Florida State, No. 10 UCLA, No. 11 Missouri, No. 12 Tennessee, No. 13 Ohio State, No. 14 Maryland, No. 15 Georgia, No. 16 Stanford.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018 at 6:57 PM
    BabHorn and HornView like this.
  21. Moooooo

Moooooo 2,500+ Posts

So, Oklahoma State was upset at Kansas on Wednesday night; their RPI dropped from #55 to #63. That hurts us and Baylor as far as "quality" wins; also hurts the perception of the Big 12 conference nationally if they don't get in the tourney.

Tennessee and Miss. State also beat OSU, but only once. Still, it lessens their "quality" non-conference win.

Tonight, LSU at South Carolina. Could really help us if LSU pulls of the upset.

BabHorn likes this.
  22. jusme828

jusme828 1,000+ Posts

Well, LSU lost. And I am watching the ugliest SEC game I think I've ever seen. OT for Georgia and Alabama with the score 40-40. Pretty close to a combined 50 turnovers!!

BabHorn likes this.
  23. jusme828

jusme828 1,000+ Posts

Georgia pulls out the win, 49-43.

BabHorn likes this.